Video playback issues with MKVs and XBox 360

Socketman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Video playback issues with MKVs and XBox 360

Post by Socketman » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:24 am

Evening everyone , as the title says I have a problem and I will expand on it in the paragraph below. Hopefully someone has an idea they can throw out.

I have been streaming MKV's with MB3/Emby with my 360 and Shark codecs for quite a few years ,5 ? or more. Within the past 3 weeks my shows have started doing something strange. After 22 mins give or take the video will seem to change it speed/framerate, not really a stutter. Most times it will sort itself out and continue as normal , I have found hitting the back button which take sit back about 10 seconds fixs it for the rest of a 1 hr show. Here is what I have tried so far. If I play the show with the app on the Xbox 360 which is WMP I believe the show plays fine. Even if I play the show in WMC but not use Emby thre is still a problem but a bit less severe.

Reinstalled WMC,
Updated shark codec
defrag hard drives
Un install and install Emby
Updated Video drivers
Updated network Drivers
Nuked Win 7 and reinstalled OS, even bare bones the problem is there.
Realized Emby was transcoding /turned that off which improved the image quality immensely but prob still there
Turned off Audio transcoding
I have more ram coming in the mail.

Cpu usage is 7% hardware support for video card on
6 core amd cpu , Radeo 7700 , 6 gigs of ram
Cpu temp 42c when running

If I think of anything else I will add it. If there are any questions , ask away.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:46 pm

I used to use MB3/Emby as well. I had the same problems trying to get anything to play reliably on the Xbox 360 with that.

I finally got tried of trying to get it to work and switched to PLEX. This was the best solution I have found for a reliable solution. PLEX has may apps for Windows, Windows Media Center (PLEX Home Theater under downloads adds a launcher to WMC) iOS, Android, Windows Phone, The XBone and 360 and much, much more.. If you want to stop fighting it to get something working and want a Server and App solution that just works.. Look into PLEX. https://www.plex.tv/
newfiend~

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:03 pm

It's worth noting that (last I checked anyway) Plex for Xbox 360 doesn't support surround sound (stereo only and also transcodes everything.

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:40 pm

3rob3 wrote:It's worth noting that (last I checked anyway) Plex for Xbox 360 doesn't support surround sound (stereo only and also transcodes everything.
I will amen 3rob3 and verify Plex app on xb360 only does stereo. PHT only works on the host PC inside of WMC. It does not work inside the WMC extension on either xb360 or linksys dma2100.

It is the reason that I have not migrated completely to Plex away from Emby. Emby Classic is fully functional on both the host PC and extenders inside of WMC (including 5.1/7.1 audio decoding)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:57 pm

Agree.. you may loose surround sound on extenders... But with all the headache trying to get stuff to work on extenders with emby vs. PLEX just working no mater what container it's in(or bit rate it's encoded at) was worth the switch for me. If I want surround sound I can use Plex Home Theater on the HTPC in the living room and bitstream the audio to my AVR so the loss of 5.1 on a xbox extender for me was worth the trade off for me..

Also Yes you can't use Plex inside of WMC on XBOX.. you have to exit and launch the Plex app.. not a big deal really imo..YMMV..

WMC is on it's way out and no longer developed or maintained..(*cough* Guide data issues *cough*) Plex is constantly updated and if you have a lot of media, Music, Photos, Movies or TV Shows Plex works really well and will be around for quite some time. Time to forward think past WMC.
newfiend~

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:38 pm

Did you post about your playback issues in the EMBY forums? They are usually pretty good about working through playback issues.

Newfiend i don't know when you last used MB/EMBY but it has come along way and offers a similar ecosystem as PLEX does complete with dedicated apps for almost every streamer out there. Plus it has built in LiveTV support. I don't think this is an issue that demands switching to a different solution.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:30 pm

newfiend wrote: WMC is on it's way out and no longer developed or maintained..(*cough* Guide data issues *cough*) Plex is constantly updated and if you have a lot of media, Music, Photos, Movies or TV Shows Plex works really well and will be around for quite some time. Time to forward think past WMC.
newfiend~
Agreed, which is why I switched to Android TV. WMC to this day is still best in class (as far as I'm concerned) with TV/DVR. It was everything else that motivated my switch (high bitrate MKV playback one).

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:28 am

volfan6415 wrote:Did you post about your playback issues in the EMBY forums? They are usually pretty good about working through playback issues.

Newfiend i don't know when you last used MB/EMBY but it has come along way and offers a similar ecosystem as PLEX does complete with dedicated apps for almost every streamer out there. Plus it has built in LiveTV support. I don't think this is an issue that demands switching to a different solution.

I was a MB Fan for a LONG time. I used MB exclusively for my Movies and Archived TV series and used Emby up until a year ago. (I know this as I just renewed my membership with PLEX last month). I'm not knocking Emby.. Emby is great but I just had better luck and a much easier end-user experience using PLEX.

I'm sure that the OP can work through the issues he/she is having.. I think I just got tired of having to fight to get everything to just work with Emby where Plex just always worked on everything.. every time. No tweaking of my media files or codecs.. I wanted to watch the media not have to "fight" it or play IT guy to my systems all the time to get it to "just work".

I am sure in the last year Emby has advanced considerably. I am sure It works quite well for many. I just prefer PLEX at this point.. To each their own, everyone's needs/wants are different.. I just simply suggested another option and one that works very well.
And just FYI to any who care.. I still use WMC to this day.. As long as I can keep it going I'll keep using it. :D
newfiend~

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:40 am

newfiend wrote:
volfan6415 wrote:Did you post about your playback issues in the EMBY forums? They are usually pretty good about working through playback issues.

I was a MB Fan for a LONG time. I used MB exclusively for my Movies and Archived TV series and used Emby up until a year ago. (I know this as I just renewed my membership with PLEX last month). I'm not knocking Emby.. Emby is great but I just had better luck and a much easier end-user experience using PLEX.

I'm sure that the OP can work through the issues he/she is having.. I think I just got tired of having to fight to get everything to just work with Emby where Plex just always worked on everything.. every time. No tweaking of my media files or codecs.. I wanted to watch the media not have to "fight" it or play IT guy to my systems all the time to get it to "just work".

I am sure in the last year Emby has advanced considerably. I am sure It works quite well for many. I just prefer PLEX at this point.. To each their own, everyone's needs/wants are different.. I just simply suggested another option and one that works very well.
And just FYI to any who care.. I still use WMC to this day.. As long as I can keep it going I'll keep using it. :D
newfiend~
Yeah emby has made a ton of strides in the past year with their transcoding abilities. I have acquired my media from a variety of sources and I have yet to find a file that doesn't play on my devices. (iOS, media center, android, and their web app)

Plus I love that it is open source. I think I this point they are really competitors. Emby is geared more towards the power user and opens up things for customization but it still works right out of the box. At least in my experience.