DCA Failure: Graphics

mangoose736

HTPC Specs: Show details

DCA Failure: Graphics

Post by mangoose736 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:58 pm

I have a frustration in my HTPC setup that is causing my wife to hate our setup. I cant stomach paying comcast even more than the cable subscription, so I need to get this fixed:

When I select a channel from guide to try and watch live TV, I get a display error that says I cannot play protected content. If I minimize and unminimize WMC, the channel comes through (both audio and video) without issue. This does not happen with recorded TV, and shows record perfectly fine. It only seems to be a problem when I try to watch something live.

In searching for causes, I really have two setup issues, which might be related, so I will be making two posts:
1. When I run Digital Cable Adviser, I get a failure on graphics (image attached) "Your graphics card or driver doesn't support content protection"
2. I am only able to enable 4 of my 6 tuners on my Ceton Infinitv6 PCIe - I get an error saying my operating system only supports 4 tuners.

I have the following setup:
- Windows 7 64bit
- running WMC
- CETON PCIe Infinitv 6
- Integrated Intel on-board graphics via HDMI to the TV (single monitor display)
- Intel i3-2100 3.1Ghz
- 8GB Ram

Ive searched both here and on ceton's forums, but cannot find a solution.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled playready, clearing the registry DRM key, and deleted the associated folders, and I have the same issue.
Attachments
dca graphics fail.PNG

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:30 pm

You could just override it. http://www.missingremote.com/guide/over ... a-center-7 you need to register and login to download the file.

You say your using HDMI but the symptoms sounds like what occurs when using displayport which is not compatible with WMC.

Space

Post by Space » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:15 pm

Has this setup worked in the past and just started having the display error when playing live TV recently or is it a new setup and has always happened?

If WMC thinks your TV is not HDCP compliant it will have the symptoms you describe, unable to play ANY live TV (protected or not) and also unable to play protected content video recordings. Playing non-protected recordings works fine. If you minimize then maximize live TV it works.

One thing to try is a new HDMI cable (especially if it worked in the past and just started having this problem). If the HDMI cable is flaky it can cause this, also you can try a different HDMI port on the TV (just in case the HDMI port is having trouble with HDCP).

Another thing that can cause this problem is if you have any other "display adapters" installed even if they are virtual adapters like those installed by software like VNC (look in Device Manager). If you have any displays attached other than the HDMI/DSCP device, disconnect them and see if the problem resolves, also uninstall any software that may add a virtual display adapter.

Also I found this about Intel graphics:

The problem was that the Graphics output mode was set to split display .. I assume the problem would also be there if the mode were set to "extended" (I'll have to go back and check).
Solution: In the desktop Graphics Options --> Send To: --> Digital Television
(which is presumably the only configuration that's all HDCP compliant )

Separate issue:

WMC only supports 4 tuners of the same type. I believe Ceton software installs some drivers/fixes that allow more than 4 tuners in WMC. There is also software called TunerSalad that does this. You may be able to fix this by reinstalling the Ceton drivers for your device and rerunning TV Signal Setup in WMC.

I also found that someone was able to fix this issue like this:

The solution to this problem was to use the "Ceton Diagnostics Tool" on the "Device" tab to "Clear Tuner Configuration" then "Discover Tuners". After which I reran the TV signal setup and all 6 tuners were recognized and configured. Apparently Ceton is increasing the max tuner limit on driver installation. It just needs a liitle nudge to actually work!

mangoose736

Post by mangoose736 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:38 am

Space wrote:Has this setup worked in the past and just started having the display error when playing live TV recently or is it a new setup and has always happened?

If WMC thinks your TV is not HDCP compliant it will have the symptoms you describe, unable to play ANY live TV (protected or not) and also unable to play protected content video recordings. Playing non-protected recordings works fine. If you minimize then maximize live TV it works.

One thing to try is a new HDMI cable (especially if it worked in the past and just started having this problem). If the HDMI cable is flaky it can cause this, also you can try a different HDMI port on the TV (just in case the HDMI port is having trouble with HDCP).

Another thing that can cause this problem is if you have any other "display adapters" installed even if they are virtual adapters like those installed by software like VNC (look in Device Manager). If you have any displays attached other than the HDMI/DSCP device, disconnect them and see if the problem resolves, also uninstall any software that may add a virtual display adapter.

Also I found this about Intel graphics:

The problem was that the Graphics output mode was set to split display .. I assume the problem would also be there if the mode were set to "extended" (I'll have to go back and check).
Solution: In the desktop Graphics Options --> Send To: --> Digital Television
(which is presumably the only configuration that's all HDCP compliant )

Separate issue:

WMC only supports 4 tuners of the same type. I believe Ceton software installs some drivers/fixes that allow more than 4 tuners in WMC. There is also software called TunerSalad that does this. You may be able to fix this by reinstalling the Ceton drivers for your device and rerunning TV Signal Setup in WMC.

I also found that someone was able to fix this issue like this:

The solution to this problem was to use the "Ceton Diagnostics Tool" on the "Device" tab to "Clear Tuner Configuration" then "Discover Tuners". After which I reran the TV signal setup and all 6 tuners were recognized and configured. Apparently Ceton is increasing the max tuner limit on driver installation. It just needs a liitle nudge to actually work!
Dude this is incredible - solved both these issues n minutes:
1. found out that teamviewer was creating a "display adapter" - after uninstalling that, absolutely no issues with live tv
2. reinstalled ceton drivers and all 6 tuners are detected!

thanks a ton!

Space

Post by Space » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:50 am

Nice! Glad I could help. And thanks for reporting back on which of the suggestions fixed the problem, it may help others with a similar issue.