NBC blocking Olympics DVR attempts "RECORDING CANCELED"

londonfog

HTPC Specs: Show details

NBC blocking Olympics DVR attempts "RECORDING CANCELED"

Post by londonfog » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:33 pm

I get the following message:

RECORDING CANCELED:
"Olympics 2016 Primet..." cannot be recorded. Restrictions set by the broadcaster and/or originator of the content prohibit recording of this program.

This then causes a domino effect on other channels I try to record, where i get that message on them as well, but they still seem to record.

On NBC, though I can record a max of 7-15 minutes before I get the Recording Canceled message again, but sometimes not even a minute. Commercials sometimes seem to be when it refreshes, or maybe it's every 15 minutes.

This happened to me too when I tried recording the last couple of episodes of Heroes: Reborn on NBS. The entire series recorded just fine until the last 2 or 3 episodes where the recording would get canceled.

My HTPC Specs:
Verizon FIOS
CPU: I3-530
GPU: GTX 460 768MB
Tuner: Infinitv6 PCI

Does anybody know what's happening?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:16 pm

Yes. Your provider is turning on the flag for "copy never," and is injecting it into the stream.

Randomly, apparently, but on an ongoing basis--and apparently only on NBC.

Good luck. This is between you and your provider, who will claim total ignorance.

londonfog

Post by londonfog » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:36 pm

adam1991 wrote:Yes. Your provider is turning on the flag for "copy never," and is injecting it into the stream.

Randomly, apparently, but on an ongoing basis--and apparently only on NBC.

Good luck. This is between you and your provider, who will claim total ignorance.
Well that's fantastic, thanks for the info

Space

Post by Space » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:43 pm

This is the CGMS copy-never flag issue. There is pre-beta firmware for the Ceton that is supposed to ignore this flag, but I have also read that some people have problems with this firmware.

You can read about it here:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=8352

randman

Post by randman » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:26 pm

Space wrote:This is the CGMS copy-never flag issue. There is pre-beta firmware for the Ceton that is supposed to ignore this flag, but I have also read that some people have problems with this firmware.

You can read about it here:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=8352

^^I agree. I had a similar issue with NBC a few months back and had to upgrade the Ceton firmware.