Windows 7 Reload Problem

Indymil

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 7 Reload Problem

Post by Indymil » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:13 pm

I have been running Windows 7 media center using Ceton 4 PCIe (with cable card) for several years on two different machines and have been well satisfied. Recently I've had some problems on one machine and decided to replace the hard drive and reload everything.

My problem: After I load Windows 7 SP 1, I cannot run 'Windows Update' ; it has me install new 'Windows Update Software' ; I do this, then when I check for updates ... it runs and runs and runs ... nothing further.

I tried to check online ... but found nothing that actually solves my problem. Would appreciate any feedback you have to offer. thank you

DanH

Post by DanH » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:22 am

How long have you left it running like that? It's possible that it will take a really long time to discover all of the updates and then will present you with a really long list.
Was Danh_HP_m376n

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:36 am

I'm in the same boat. Son did something while running steam, and hosed the OS. No amount of attempts to repair startup, fix mbr or restore could get it back, and all attempts to access my images failed.... Strangely this happened after a black screen hard restart, which resumed into a Windows critical update with a forced restart, that never rebooted. Nothing worked. No safe mode, no repair disk, nada.... 8 hrs later, bare bones Windows and wmc is running, but Windows update doesn't seem to be reacting. Letting it run overnight. Let you know what I end up with tomorrow. Live tv works, but my play ready file backup was useless, recordings are blocked, and record itself no longer works...... windows strikes again. last time anything but tv and documents runs on this pc.

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:20 am

I have the same problem on my wifes' Win 7 laptop, been like it for several months, on one occaision I let the update run for 48+ hours, but still no go. tried everything short of a remote MS support session. I noted the problem following an aborted attempt to upgrade to Win 10 , (OEM Office would not activate "Activation count exceeded" or similar) and since no big deal went back to Win 7. But I am very interested to know if you find a fix.

Indymil

Post by Indymil » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:47 am

I left it running overnight. Next morning I had the message "Installer encountered an error (0x800704c7) The operation was canceled by user'.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:08 am

I had this exact thing two weeks ago. I finally found a KB by googling "windows update hangs fresh install"
Once you apply the hotfix, everything works fine.
I can't remember the KB number, I knew I'd regret not noting it down.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:51 am

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:11 pm

Indymil wrote:I have been running Windows 7 media center using Ceton 4 PCIe (with cable card) for several years on two different machines and have been well satisfied. Recently I've had some problems on one machine and decided to replace the hard drive and reload everything.

My problem: After I load Windows 7 SP 1, I cannot run 'Windows Update' ; it has me install new 'Windows Update Software' ; I do this, then when I check for updates ... it runs and runs and runs ... nothing further.

I tried to check online ... but found nothing that actually solves my problem. Would appreciate any feedback you have to offer. thank you

This happens to me in out office. We deploy Windows 7 SP1 to machines.... doing the first batch of updates can take 4-12 hours (yes, that much of a range), it is crazy how long it takes, faster computers normally do it a little faster but, it still takes forever.

The BEST bet, is to go on your local Torrent site, find a slipstreamed UNTOUCHED (no cracks) iso. There are a few guys who release iso's on the torrent sites that are only slipstreamed. Last one I used was a month old. It took about 20 min to get all the updates done after install.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:04 pm

Much better off making your own with the convenience roll-up, or just running it manually after installing.
http://pureinfotech.com/convenience-rol ... lipstream/

Indymil

Post by Indymil » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:09 pm

Lo and behold ...
I decided to try and wait it out .... it has started updating .... says installing update 4 of 230. Guess it just takes time (had been running for several hours, I guess much more ahead).