Shows recording every 10 minutes

MarkJohnson

HTPC Specs: Show details

Shows recording every 10 minutes

Post by MarkJohnson » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:52 am

For the last few days it seems my RecordedTV is full of recordings and they are recording every 10 minutes almost every time.

For example.

American Restoration_HISHD_2016_07_12_15_30_00 8/11/2016 5:46 PM
American Restoration_HISHD_2016_07_12_15_00_00 8/11/2016 5:36 PM
American Restoration_HISHD_2016_07_12_14_30_00 8/11/2016 5:26 PM
American Restoration_HISHD_2016_07_12_14_00_00 8/11/2016 5:16 PM
American Restoration_HISHD_2016_07_12_13_30_00 8/11/2016 5:06 PM

I don't know how it's recording these shows all at once. I have a 3-tuner box HD Home Run Prime HDHR3-CC

This is totally bizarre.

Anyone know what's going on?

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:44 am

It's still going on. It acts like it's just copying old files over again?

I even rebooted the server.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:26 pm

I haven't seen that really happen unless I have to reboot the computer & it starts the recording back up after it's back up. I would look at the event viewer around the times listed. Is it on all shows you're recording or just some? You might try unscheduling one show series & reschedule it & see how that goes.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:38 pm

Is your guide data corrupt?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:34 pm

weird, I just connected my server to a monitor and keyboard/mouse, and everything looks fine?

When I look at my shared folder with my win10 system, it shows all these repetitions. I can watch them all and they are linked in some fashion.

This is totally bizarre.

I think this started about the time I reinstalled win10 with the anniversary edition ISO. But it is super weird how this could even be done.

Maybe a glitch with it talking to my win7 server? MS seems to be trying to kill win7 with weird things happening all of the time. Linke win7 2.5+ hour check for updates.

I have windows 8.1 with media center. How is the media center for windows 8? All I do is record TV shows with the built-in TV guide. Is there a way to switch TV guides? Built-in WMC guides seem flakey at best and I get constant problems with recording the same show/series over and over.

How do I check guide data corruption?

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:56 pm

Did you try what I mentioned? What does the event viewer say for MC ?

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:28 am

choliscott wrote:Did you try what I mentioned? What does the event viewer say for MC ?
I'm not sure what I should be looking for. The shows are recording fine WMC. although it records the same shows that are already recorded over and over and over, etc.

The recording shows every 10 minutes comes from my win10 client that is looking at the shared recordedTV folder of my win7 server. For some reason it shows that shows are being recorded every 10 minutes. it is not related to the recordedTV on my server. It's like they are phantom shows appearing on my shared recordedTV folder.

I do get one error on my event viewer for media center that appears occasionally a time or three a day. it reports:

MCUpdate

Failed to retrieve nettv (error: PackageName is invalid.)

Looking a little closer I see my tv shows being recorded under recording flag. They coincide to actual tvshows being recorded. but win10 shows way more shows being recorded. but it has the scheduled ones as well.

As you can see above, it is recording 5 shows on the same channel at the same time, which is impossible. it can't even show 5 shows simultaneously.

I just can't figure out where win10 is picking up these extra, non-existing shows.

Anything else you think I should check? or do you need more details?

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:39 am

Oh, wow!

I just went into the shared folder of the server on the server and it is doing the same thing on there as well. It looks exactly like the win10 list, but when I go to the actual recordedTV folder. it has only the recorded shows that were actually scheduled to be recorded.

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:40 am

MarkJohnson wrote:Oh, wow!

I just went into the shared folder of the server on the server and it is doing the same thing on there as well. It looks exactly like the win10 list, but when I go to the actual recordedTV folder. it has only the recorded shows that were actually scheduled to be recorded.
Here's a pic of my problem. You'll see on the right is my server RecordedTV folder. On the left is my Shared RecordedTV folder. You can see how different the two folders are.
Attachments
RecordedTV.jpg
My RecordedTV folders.

Space

Post by Space » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:20 am

I think your problem may be how you are sorting the files in Explorer. You probably have the same files in both windows, they are just sorted differently (you can see that both have 1,022 items).

In one place you are sorting by "Date" and the other you are sorting by "Date Modified". These are not the same field. Try sorting them both by the same field (such as "Name") and see if they are still different. If you want to sort by date, then make sure you add the same field in both windows (left click on one of the field headers and select the field you want in both) and then sort on that field.

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:42 pm

As you can see in the picture they are both sorted by date. The one on the left keeps adding or updating the date every 5 minutes, but on the left the times are not updated. can't figure this out at all.

I even unshared the folder to maybe clear it up, but when I shared it again it came back with the updated dates.

I thought maybe my win10 machine was updating it, but it shows up on my win7 machine too.

The shared folder is set to read only, so it must be happening on my win7 server side somehow.

Space

Post by Space » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:33 pm

Please reread my response. They are not sorted by the same date, one is by "Date" which is the date the file was created and other is sorted by "Date Modified" which is the date the file was last updated/changed. These are two different dates which will result in a completely different sort order.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/10 ... emove.html

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:13 pm

I never paid any attention to that, mainly cause it doesn't really matter. I mean it is modified somehow.

I added date created and they almost all still align up. There are a few that change.

With that said, there is a date created that I also added and it too is different from date.

I also did the same for the servers RecordedTV folder and got the same mixed up dates. But it is recording shows that have been recorded before. So I get that part.

so what's the difference between date, date created, and date modified. Not that this seems to have anything to do with my issue. At least I don't understand how it does.

I just don't get why it continuously updated 24/7 approximately every 10 minutes?

This is so frustrating. lol

Space

Post by Space » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:39 pm

"date created" is supposed to be the date that the file was created. "date modified" is supposed to be the date that the file was last modified.

"Date" is a bit nebulous in that it is either the same as "date created" or can be another date pulled from the metadata of the file.

I added the "Date" column and looked at my recordings, and it seems to be the date/time that the recording started (for shows that are currently recording) but then later gets changed to that same date or the day before, with a time of midnight. Not sure why this happens. I assume it is the date of the recording with the time zeroed-out in the GMT timezone (so not very helpful).

I would just use the "date created" field as this seems to reflect the date/time that the show started recording (unless it is a copy of the original file, then it represents the date/time that the copy was made).

As for why the "date modified" on some of your recordings seems to get changed, I really don't know. Perhaps WMC is updating thumbnails or some other metadata. I am not sure I would be that concerned with it. WMC seems to update metadata in these files for various reasons at different times.

MarkJohnson

Post by MarkJohnson » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:24 pm

Space wrote:"As for why the "date modified" on some of your recordings seems to get changed, I really don't know. Perhaps WMC is updating thumbnails or some other metadata. I am not sure I would be that concerned with it. WMC seems to update metadata in these files for various reasons at different times.
I set both local and shared to Date Modified and the both align perfectly.

I just find it strange that it is being changed randomly every 10 minutes. But it's nice to know about the date field. It has always lined up before, until a couple days ago and it just went wonkey and started updating like mad.

I did however notice my recordings weren't being converted with MCEBuddy for the past couple of weeks and when I ran it manually it errored out. After a bit of research I found the error means corrupt video file and possibly faulty hard drive, although it is only a few months old. Hopefully just a corrupt recording.

Anyway, I deleted the corrupt video file and updated MCEBuddy. Now MCEBuddy is now catching up on the 130+ conversions.

I'm hoping it had something to do with MCEBuddy. It will take a few days to catch up, then I can see if it continues.

Thanks for everyone's help.