Not Recorded: Disk Full

think1

HTPC Specs: Show details

Not Recorded: Disk Full

Post by think1 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:57 am

WMC only recorded the first 45 minutes of a one-hour program because the disk was full. But when I go to Tasks>TV>Recorder>Recorder Storage it says I have room for another 645 1/2 hours or 97 hours of HD recording on my 2TB disk. I've had this new larger disk for about a year and this problem seems to be intermittent. It creeps up about every 3 months or so...

I searched previous posts and the only thing I found that was similar was this post (http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... age#p46964) that someone was able to check some registry settings to see if WMC recognized their larger disk. I searched in RegEdit but I couldn't locate the setting. Does anyone know where to find it? Is it safe to edit it? Does anyone have a better solution?

Thank you!

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:30 am

Check the available space on the C: drive.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

think1

Post by think1 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:22 am

There are 20Gb available on the C: drive which is a solid state HD used only for the OS.

However, the TV programs are recorded on the F: drive and that has 822Gb left on it. Also, the maximum TV limit is set for 1863Gb.

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:18 pm

I have a similar setup as the OP and also experienced something like this problem.

I have an SSD just for the operating system and was using a 1TB drive for recording. As my 1TB drive started to go bad the operating system wouldn't recognize it and reset the recording drive to C: (which had very limited space for recording) and then my recordings would fail.

Usually a reboot fixed the "missing" drive problem for a while, but eventually my recording drive died and I replaced it.

think1

Post by think1 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:30 am

I don't think my recording drive is bad though. It's fairly new and it passes any disk checking.

think1

Post by think1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:47 am

Still having this problem.

So I got a 2Tb external G: drive and set that as the drive for recorder storage. It seemed to work well, but then when I tried to play a few programs it would just show the WMC blue background for a second or two and then go back to the menu. It turns out that when I'm recording two shows at the same time, it somehow corrupts both and makes them unplayable. I checked the file sizes for these shows and they seem right, but they just won't play. Any program that is recorded by itself plays fine.

I'm back to my internal F: drive and it will record two at a time (I have the 4 tuner card) until it thinks there is no more space when there is about 1Tb free on the disk. I've run a series of tests on the disk and they come back clean.

Any suggestions?

SciFiGeek

Post by SciFiGeek » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:12 am

I don't have new ideas just going deeper. Find a program to read the SMART codes of your Hard Drive. That may show error history that your diagnostics are missing. FWIW I have recorded 8 recordings and not had problems with the recordings. Although my system does start to stutter on playback of recordings on the same disk with that many concurrent recordings going. If your system is healthy, you should not have any problems recording.

SciFiGeek

Post by SciFiGeek » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:20 am

One more thought, many usb drives have low end drives so the performance just may not be there.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:12 am

I agree with the 2 suggestions above.....and, here are a few more.

I would go into Device Manager and look for !!!!! or ????? then update driver to correct.

I suspect there is a ! or ? beside the external drive (G)

Another place in Device Manager to check is the Windows USB Hub, these might need a different driver as well.

The 3rd idea is the BIOS, you might need an adjustment for the External drive (G) to give you the speed to record 2 at a time.

4th idea is plug the drive into a different USB.....Usually they are color coded. If the drive has a blue plug, plug it into blue.....black to black, etc.