Can't attach XBox Extenders after installing DCA

gary94080

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can't attach XBox Extenders after installing DCA

Post by gary94080 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:24 am

Hi, this saga started over on the Silicondust HDHomerun thread.

the bottom line is when I run the Digital Cable Advisor as part of the process to add a HDHomerun Prime I lose my extenders.

when I check the network on the Xbox it says Xbox to router is ok, but says that there is no connection between the router and the PC.

when I go to the PC I'm connected to the router and I have internet access and access PC to PC and the Xboxes show up on the network map.

everything is hard wired. if I missed a critical step in the process let me know. PC-1 I can't attach extenders it has access to SDHDHR Prime. PC-2 I can access extenders, not attached to SDHDHR Prime.

PC-1
HP Pavilion
p7-1287c
Intel Core i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
64-bit OS
Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack 1

HDHomeRun program 20140604

Windows Firewall
Microsoft Security Essentials

PC-2
HP 500-267c
Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Intel Core i3-4130 CPU 3.40GHz
8.00 GB Ram
64-bit Operating System

Microsoft Security Essentials
Windows Firewall

router/modem:
Motorola/Arris SURFboard AC1800M
firewall on the router is off
ISP Comcast

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:15 am

Have you tried removing the Xbox as an extender from the WMC machine and the Xbox itself and then re-adding each Xbox back as an extender again?

You can follow the Microsoft suggestions here : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7
or follow the directions below.. ( I copied and pasted the instructions here to make it easier for you..)
I would try:
Remove all the Xbox Extender connections.
Set up the PC with all desired Tuners and make sure everything is working on the PC.
Reboot the PC and then add each extender back one at a time and verify they are working correctly.

Instructions from MS on removal of Xbox Extender Connections:
1.On your computer, open Windows Media Center by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Media Center.
2.On the Windows Media Center start screen, scroll to Tasks, click Settings, click Extender, and then click the Extender device you want to remove.
3.Click Uninstall, and then follow the instructions to remove the Extender connection.
4.If you're using an Xbox 360 as an Extender, use your Xbox 360 controller to do one of the following:
a.Scroll to My Xbox, select System Settings, and then select Computers.
b.Select Windows Media Center, and then press the A button.
c.Select Disconnect.
d.Press the B button repeatedly until you return to the System Settings screen.
e.If the Xbox 360 console has a hard drive or memory card, on the System Settings screen, select Memory.
f.Select Hard Drive, select Games, select Xbox 360 Dashboard, and then select Windows Media Center.
g.Select Delete, and then press the A button.
h.Press the B button repeatedly until you return to the System Settings screen.

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:28 am

on PC-1 (with SDHDHR Prime) I went in and uninstalled all extenders listed.

because of this problem, I am only using the router/modem so I only have the Xbox 360 white attached (why can't they market a 10 port router). for 4c no connection was listed. I don't have a hard drive, but I do have a flash drive. for 4e no Memory selection, there is a selection for Storage. I selected All Devices. on the next screen I checked each category and did not see one for Xbox 360 Dashboard or Windows Media Center. there is one for Xbox Music and Video and under that is one for Xbox Music and Video Data. I didn't know if that was what your were referring to. just checked the 360 slim, it's the same as the 360 white. the 360 E doesn't have the Xbox Music and Video Data selection, so I guess it's not the right one.

I went ahead and tried to reattach the 360 white and I got on the computer "Configuration Error - An error was encountered while configuring your computer for use with this Extender." on the Xbox I get that there is no Media Center computer attached to the network.

thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep poking around, maybe I'll find something.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:52 pm

There are some more suggestions you can try here.. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... -extenders
hope this helps you out.
newfiend~

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:24 pm

The Media Center Extender service is disabling itself. This is why you are having the errors. Simply restarting the service won't work. It will disable itself again after the extender disconnects. It is usually caused by a corrupted NTUSER.DAT file. If you can't restore it (or do, but the problem persists), a reformat - or backup to previous working restore - is in order.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... ing-itself

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:00 pm

Ed, Smooth as Molson Golden!

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:43 pm

Another thing I realized it could be is that Media Sharing is getting disabled/turned off. In 'Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings' check under 'All Networks' if it's on or off.

I ran into both of these problems myself in the past, I just reformatted.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:24 pm

gary94080 wrote: (why can't they market a 10 port router).
Residential routers usually have a 4 port switch, and wi-fi radio added to them for convenience. You can add more ports by up linking a switch to one of the router ports. You can also add more wi-fi coverage by up linking wi-fi access points.

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:58 am

blueiedgod wrote:
gary94080 wrote: (why can't they market a 10 port router).
Residential routers usually have a 4 port switch, and wi-fi radio added to them for convenience. You can add more ports by up linking a switch to one of the router ports. You can also add more wi-fi coverage by up linking wi-fi access points.
that is something I was going to do once I get the rest of this working, may not be possible, more later

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:38 am

one other issue that popped up was that every time I turned on an extender, the WMC PC would loose its connection to the SD HDHR Prime. cutting off any shows being watched or recorded.

one time when I was trying to reestablish the tuner connection, I powered cycled the HR Prime and the PC, but not the modem-router because it was in use. I could not get the tuner back until I powered cycled the modem-router.

it looks like the problem is probably due to the Motorola cable modem-router.

I got a letter from Comcast saying that my router was too old and I had to upgrade it. I did that a few weeks before I installed the HR Prime. when I installed the new modem-router there were no issues with WMC or the extenders (pre-DCA).

I took WMC pc, HR Prime and an extender off the modem-router and hooked them up to the Netgear router that I had been using before the change (I was planning to reconfigure it to use as a switch, but got hit with this no extender issue. no need for more ports if the extenders would not work)

anyway the connections between the WMC PC, HR Prime and extender seems to be stable. I will have to see if the occasional pixilation has improved.

I will have to see if I can still take the Motorola cable modem-router back, if not I may see if I can turn off the router function and just use it as a modem. if I do get a new cable modem, I don't know if I will get a Motorola or Netgear. the Motorola cable modem that I had been using had been rock solid.

one thing I might do before taking it back is call Motorola-Arris to see it they are aware of the problem and if there is a firmware upgrade.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:13 pm

gary94080 wrote:one thing I might do before taking it back is call Motorola-Arris to see it they are aware of the problem and if there is a firmware upgrade.
After re-reading your post, I see no mention of how the router is setup. Not sure if this is the router you have, but it appears to be. See page 9 for the IP, username, and password. The firmware version should be listed in there somewhere. I seem to remember someone else had extender problems with the same or similar modem/router. Probably, a little tweaking will straighten it out.

http://www.arrisi.com/modems/datasheet/ ... rGuide.pdf

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:34 pm

Just buy a switch. Using the old router as a switch won't be as good as a switch. Routers use the CPU/firmware even for the switch... so it will never switch packets as fast as a switch can do it at the hardware layer.

I recommend the switch linked below. It's only $34.99 plus $1.99 shipping. This is the V3. I own the V2, and it has been working great for 3 years. This switch has enough buffer memory to handle the connection between your gigabit NIC and the 100Mbps connection on most extenders.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833320160

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:35 pm

I have that exact switch listed above.. Works great!

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:48 pm

when this problem first started I looked at the Microsoft suggestion page. I believe that settings for the parts that I could follow are ok. most of it is still in the factory setting.

thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the sales receipt. I may be past the return window. I may be stuck with it for now.

router information below:

Motorola-Arris Surfboard Modem & Wi-Fi Router AC1800M
SBG6782-AC

Hardware Version - 1

Software Version - SBG6X82-8.6.0.0-GA-01-971-NOSH

Basic - Setup

Gateway Mode - Routed
Primary Network Only Mode - Routed

Wide Area Network (WAN) Connection Settings - DHCP

Basic - DHCP

Enable DHCP Server Enabled

Basic - DDNS

DDNS Service Disabled

Advanced - Options

WAN Blocking Enabled
IPsec Pass-through Enabled
PPTP Pass-through Enabled
Remote Config Management Not Enabled
Multicast Enable Enabled
UPnP Enable Enabled

NAT ALG Status

FTP Enabled
TFTP Enabled
Kerb88 Enabled
Kerb1293 Enabled
ICQ Enabled
ICQTalk Enabled
IRC666x Enabled
IRC7000 Enabled
IRC8000 Enabled
H225 Enabled
RSVP Enabled
NetBios Enabled
MSM Enabled
PPTP Enabled
Net2Phone Enabled
RTSP Enabled
IKE Enabled
SIP Enabled

Advanced - IP Filtering

Not Enabled

Advanced - MAC Fitering

None

Advanced - Port Filtering

None

Advanced - Port Triggers

None

Advanced - Port Forwarding

None

Advanced - DMZ Host

None

Firewall Protection Setting - off

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:19 pm

You could give DHCP reservation a try. 9th post down. http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox ... 74792.aspx Reserve one for your HTPC at the same time.

Known issues: If suffering from intermittent disconnections or NAT-like issues try disabling IP flood detection and/or firewall protection. http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox ... 84869.aspx

Here are some more tweaks to make your router play nice with your xbox. http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox ... 59129.aspx

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:45 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Reserve one for your HTPC at the same time.
further reading disagrees.......Use a static IP for the HTPC and make sure the IP is outside the range reserved for DHCP.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:23 am

Of course you could do what the majority has done, toss it and get something easier to setup. You still out there?

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:51 am

still here. still trying to digest the suggestions and life intrudes.

I'm leaning towards getting a new cable modem. I will still try calling Motorola-Arris to see if there is a firmware update when I have time.

I want to see if any problems show up while it is running on the Netgear router, so far it looks good. I just have to remember to hook the PC up to the Motorola to get the guide updated.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:38 pm

gary94080 wrote:I will still try calling Motorola-Arris to see if there is a firmware update when I have time.
Apparently, you need a firmware downgrade. SBG6X82-8.6.0.0-GA-01-971-NOSH has been a disaster. There was a national up/downgrade in April, somehow, it seems you have been missed. You could try to PM NetDog your MAC. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r291157 ... downstream

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:21 pm

I didn't get the modem-router until July. I read that there was an early issue that was resolved. there were two types of boxes on the shelf, one just Motorola, the other with the name Motorola-Arris. when I installed it and there were no problems I figured I got an updated version. for some reason installing the DCA pushed it over the edge.

I didn't have time to read the whole thread in detail, the parts I got it seems like I got a version that was to address the early issues and there may be a newer version or a patch that needs to be installed.

for me I think that will save me a step. I was going to call Motorola-Arris first to discuss the issue, then Comcast. I read that Motorola-Arris could not install an update directly, that it needed to come through Comcast.

I did catch something in the thread about putting the modem-router in bridge mode and using a separate router. this is what I was thinking of looking into if I couldn't return it and before trashing it to get a modem only unit.