DCA says I'm not connected to the internet

katzenandguthrie

HTPC Specs: Show details

DCA says I'm not connected to the internet

Post by katzenandguthrie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been a long time user of WMC and I thought I'd refresh my systems. I use OTA and ATI with CableCard. The first system I finished up about 3 weeks ago and works like a champ. Last night as I was setting up the second system and after I configured the OTA part, I went to run the Digital Cable Advisor and it said I wasn't connected to the internet. I know I am because I finished the OTA part with guide completed and working. I thought that maybe something was amiss with the fresh install so I hooked back up the old system and when I go to run the DCA it gives the same error.

Is there something I'm missing?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

fatlenny

Post by fatlenny » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:14 am

Wow, same thing just happened to me. I've been running WMC for years. I had to re-install Windows 7 (clean install) and when I went to run DCA for my Ceton InfiniTV card, I get an error message saying no internet connection. I'm able to connect through a browser but Media Center is somehow blocked. I've turned off Windows firewall, uninstalled and re-installed WMC, and tried everything else I can think of.

There's a smattering of similar issues on the Web:

http://www.bench3.com/2011/07/fix-no-in ... ge-on.html

...but no compelling answers, and nothing that's worked for me.

Help!

katzenandguthrie

Post by katzenandguthrie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:54 am

Well, at least I'm not alone. I checked the internet settings in the MC general setup too and it test fine.

This one kind of scares me. With the program guide we have the EPG123 option but if we can't get the CableCard working what's the point. OTA is a very small part of what we watch around here.

fatlenny

Post by fatlenny » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:08 am

All I can think of is that there's something wrong with the Windows build / version. I may try re-installing using a different build.

katzenandguthrie

Post by katzenandguthrie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:34 am

That was my thought. That's why I went to a known good system that had successfully completed the DCA in the past. This current build is using the same HAL and install media as the one completed about 3 weeks ago. With fatlenny (you) having the same problem it makes me think it's something outside of our systems.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:52 am

By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

fatlenny

Post by fatlenny » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:30 am

Thanks for the link. I just tried it but got an error that DCA is not installed. However, I see it from the Extras Gallery. Is there any way to uninstall / reinstall it?

katzenandguthrie

Post by katzenandguthrie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:23 am

Here's what's in the MediaCenter event log when I try to run DCA. It comes back as 404. It looks like the link isn't working for some reason.

Exception Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.HostLoadException: Error while attemping to load: 'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9792010'. Details: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9792010: Failure acquiring MCML markup from 'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9792010'. (The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.Host.OnPreInitialize() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ViewItem.PreInitializeTreeWorker() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ViewItem.PreInitializeTreeWorker() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.ViewItem.PreInitializeTreeWorker() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.NewUiZone.DeliverInitializations() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.NewUiZone.ImplementUiTask(UiTask task, Object param) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.UiZone.ProcessUiTask(UiTask task, Object param) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.UiSession.ProcessInitialization() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Queues.Dispatcher.MainLoop(Queue queue) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.UIDispatcher.MainLoop(Queue queue, LoopCondition condition) at MediaCenter.Extensibility.Host.Main(String[] args)

katzenandguthrie

Post by katzenandguthrie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:46 am

I had the same result of DCA not installed.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:55 pm

When this happened to me it ended up being the time of the machine. Make sure the time is correct. Sounds weird but the time messes a lot of things up on computers! Its a long shot tho.... Good luck. Long Live WMC!

katzenandguthrie

Post by katzenandguthrie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:21 pm

Thanks so much for responding. Yes I set the time during the build and checked it during the first round of trouble shooting. I keep an eye on that because I don't want to clip the heads or tails of the recordings. My guess is that if you went into yours and clicked on the DCA you'd get the same problem. The system that ran it before and is currently being used came up with the same error. To be clear, it dosen't download the DCA to start with as oppose to failing the system after it runs.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:06 am

There used to be a manual way of installing (or reinstalling) the DCA. I'll see if I can dig it up.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:17 am

Yeah you can uninstall from programs and features, then reinstall through Windows.

Here's the link to download the 64-bit DCA..... is down there the bottom in my signature

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/thread ... st-1395663

Alan G

Post by Alan G » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:16 pm

I did a new HTPC build in mid-December with a brand new Win7 installation. IIRC it took a few minutes for the DCA to download into the Extras Gallery once I opened up WMC and started the process. Other than that I had no issues.

katzenandguthrie

Post by katzenandguthrie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi Crash2009,

Thanks for sending me the link to download the 64-bit DCA but I've looked and can't find it near your signature or anywhere on that page. I'm sure I was staring right at it but...

Hi Alan G,

Same thing with me and with the build I did back in December. Everything went smoothly just like it should and she's happy as can be. This build is exactly the same HAL and install media but after January 1st. It makes me think Microsoft decided it was time stop the relationship with CableCard.

Has anyone tried to see if it will work on a previously certified system? I did, and I got the same error.

My wife and I are bummed because we've been MCE users since I found out about it. That was back in (I think) 2005 at a TS-2 seminar for an OPK configuration training class and they gave us a free copy of MC 2005.

Alan G

Post by Alan G » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:16 pm

katzenandguthrie wrote: Hi Alan G,

Same thing with me and with the build I did back in December. Everything went smoothly just like it should and she's happy as can be. This build is exactly the same HAL and install media but after January 1st. It makes me think Microsoft decided it was time stop the relationship with CableCard.

Has anyone tried to see if it will work on a previously certified system? I did, and I got the same error.
I wonder if the big security update that MSFT rolled out in January to deal with the Intel CPU vulnerability did something. It doesn't seem to have had any impact on already installed WMC machines (I accepted the update with no issues). One way around this is to see if WMC can be installed before doing a lot of the MSFT updates that Win7 goes through following OS install.

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:34 pm

katzenandguthrie wrote:Hi Crash2009,

Thanks for sending me the link to download the 64-bit DCA but I've looked and can't find it near your signature or anywhere on that page. I'm sure I was staring right at it but...
Forum MAY require you be logged in. Links here are still active:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/wiki/index ... #Windows_7

fatlenny

Post by fatlenny » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:50 am

Alan G wrote:
katzenandguthrie wrote: Hi Alan G,

I wonder if the big security update that MSFT rolled out in January to deal with the Intel CPU vulnerability did something. It doesn't seem to have had any impact on already installed WMC machines (I accepted the update with no issues). One way around this is to see if WMC can be installed before doing a lot of the MSFT updates that Win7 goes through following OS install.
Solved!

So, based on your advice, I decided to re-install Windows and go through the WMC setup before doing any Windows Update. After installing the Ceton drivers, I went to DCA in WMC. Alas, it gave me the same error, No Internet Connection. I tried the TV setup anyway and it worked! I was able to install PlayReady and guide info, which definitely didn't work before, so I would definitely wager that some Windows Update causes the problem. I've re-installed Windows 7 countless times over the years without having these hassles.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your support. What would this product be without this message board?

katzenandguthrie

Post by katzenandguthrie » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:52 pm

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks to the link location d00zah provided, I downloaded and installed the DCA and ran it on the new system that has all the current updates and it worked perfect. The rest of the setup ran just like they should and it's now online and working great.

I can't thank y'all enough for helping me work through this.

Mark

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:14 am

STC wrote:There used to be a manual way of installing (or reinstalling) the DCA. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Good idea, looks like it worked.