Channel not working. Service Unavailable.

blahdc

HTPC Specs: Show details

Channel not working. Service Unavailable.

Post by blahdc » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:28 pm

Hi All , I have been using WMC for the past few years to record OTA channels and it has worked great up until recently. All of my channels still work except for one of them. When I try viewing it in Live TV it says that the service is unavailable.
  • Ran signal strength and it is showing one red bar. My other tv's in the house pick up the channel with no problem.
    Adjusted sources for the channel. (I only have two available for that one). It says "100% quality" which I find odd.
    I updated the latest drivers for my card Hauppauge HVR-2250
    I deleted the WMC database and went through the Live TV setup again.
    Disabled firewall.
    Checked antenna and direction.
    Checked cabling to the tuner.
I am running out of ideas and really confused as to how the channel no longer works. Any thoughts?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:36 pm

blahdc wrote:Hi All , I have been using WMC for the past few years to record OTA channels and it has worked great up until recently. All of my channels still work except for one of them. When I try viewing it in Live TV it says that the service is unavailable.
  • Ran signal strength and it is showing one red bar. My other tv's in the house pick up the channel with no problem.
    Adjusted sources for the channel. (I only have two available for that one). It says "100% quality" which I find odd.
    Disabled firewall.
I am running out of ideas and really confused as to how the channel no longer works. Any thoughts?
You might need to provide more information as to what channel. Sometimes you have to edit the channels in the guide because the settings are incorrect in the guide, frequency channel and sub-channels, etc

blahdc

Post by blahdc » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:45 pm

cwinfield wrote:
blahdc wrote:Hi All , I have been using WMC for the past few years to record OTA channels and it has worked great up until recently. All of my channels still work except for one of them. When I try viewing it in Live TV it says that the service is unavailable.
    Disabled firewall.
You might need to provide more information as to what channel. Sometimes you have to edit the channels in the guide because the settings are incorrect in the guide, frequency channel and sub-channels, etc

This would be for channel 11.1 in Minneapolis. https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php? ... t&mktid=20

Edit: On WMC it is showing 11.1, 11.2 and 11.3 which match with the display channel on rabbitears.info. I noticed the digital channel next to it is different, could this be what is causing it? On my other tv's around the house the channel will come in if I put in 11.1 into the TV.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:44 pm

see this post for a similar issue it will be more helpful than I can be. viewtopic.php?p=113728#p113728

blahdc

Post by blahdc » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:12 pm

Finally figured out what was going on. I doubt this will help anyone but I will post my findings. My signal was the culprit. Something had caused the signal strength to decrease and when I took out the splitter downstream the channel was showing up again in WMC. I am going to try and use an amplified splitter and see if that resolves the issue. Right now if I bypass the splitter I do not have any issues so that is my temporary fix.