What is difference between movies and videos?

sdowney717

HTPC Specs: Show details

What is difference between movies and videos?

Post by sdowney717 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:15 pm

How do you decide what goes where?

Space

Post by Space » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:28 pm

To be honest, I really don't fully know.

I THINK that the movies library is meant for movies and the videos library is meant for home videos (or any videos that are not considered a movie). I believe that videos you put in the movies library will appear in the "Movies" section of WMC, and the videos will appear in the "Videos" section of WMC.

As far as the technical differences between the two locations, I am not sure. But I think that for the movies, there are special mechanisms for getting movie metadata for each video so that it can be displayed (poster art, movie description, etc.) such as with the DVDID.xml file (and I think other mechanisms), I don't think that the videos in the video library have that capability.

Also, you can rip a movie DVD and put the raw DVD files/folders in the movies library folder and WMC will be able to play it like a DVD. I am not sure that you can do the same if it's put it in the videos library.

I don't personally have any movies in any format other than ripped DVD and .wtv format, so I can't tell you personally, but I think if you have a movie in say, .avi format, and put it in the "movies" library folder, under a sub-folder, along with the appropriate DVDID.xml file and folder.jpg (cover art) file it will display all the movie info for that movie.

Also, wtv files in your "Recorded TV" libraries that are marked as movies will also appear in the WMC movies section (mixed in with the videos you have in your "movies" library).

sdowney717

Post by sdowney717 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:01 am

I set up videos library to a bunch of ripped DVD's and other type video files, and they all appear.
I then setup movies library to point to that same location and it stays empty.

Looks as if should work, but in all the years never been able to make movies appear in movies.
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11214/a ... ia-center/

And I just did a fresh install on win7.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:27 am

from my understanding ..
Movies = Movies (DVD or Blu-Ray's Etc.)
Videos = Home movies of Family and or Friends Etc.

I don't use WMC for my movie collections.

I found more elegant options in using either EMBY or PLEX for my archived Movies and TV shows.

Both have options for plugins for WMC although Plex Home Theater has been pulled from PLEX's site but it's still available online if you search which will add a launcher to WMC's main Menu. (Google is your friend) YMMV..
PLEX has the new PLEX Media Player. It works well but lacks a built in WMC Menu Launcher. You could use other software options to add a launcher for PLEX Media Player to the WMC main menu though if you so desire.

I Like PLEX better because I can then stream my media to any device. PC, Tablet, Phone. It works well and also has apps for XBOX 360 and XBOX One. Just food for thought.

Sorry if I over answered the original question :D

newfiend~