Intermittent black screen with audio - handshake or . . . ?

JTScribe

HTPC Specs: Show details

Intermittent black screen with audio - handshake or . . . ?

Post by JTScribe » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:50 pm

When watching live TV, at times I the green will go black for a second or two. Audio will continue, and the screen will come back as normal. It's infrequent enough to be annoying, and I'm scratching my head over tracking it down.

Video card: low-profile GT 730. I've updated drivers several times, still no help. This also happened when I was using onboard graphics, so I think the video card is a low probability. Card is a little over a year old.

HDMI cables: I'm using some braided shield MonoPrice cables. Same kind of cable runs from my Roku->Receiver and don't see the issue there.

Receiver: I'm using a Pioneer VSX-520-K receiver. This is where I'm wondering if my issue isn't coming from because it's over 7 years old. How long should receivers last?

Rest of the system details are as indicated in signature. Thoughts?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:37 pm

Confirm something for me will you.

Use 411 info and go over to the right about 5 pages.

What is the codec and resolution of the problem Channel?

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:45 pm

H264, 720p60.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:41 am

There have been quite a few having problems with the Comcast roll out of H. 264. Myself included. I get mine working it works fine for a couple days then it screws up. I haven't been changing anything so I can only assume that Comcast is working on it..

I did a factory reset on WMC, uninstalled everything tuners extenders etc. Htpc is working pretty good, Ceton echoes are kind of iffy at the moment. They play all my old protected movies but they have a little trouble with this protected H. 264.

There is a few H. 264 threads around here. The problem started on the East Coast and it's been rolling across the country most recently it appears Comcast is having some trouble in the Detroit area.

When you see the black screen, occasionally I have some luck getting protected to play by changing the channel back and forth from non-protected HD through the protective channel that won't work flip back and forth hit the fast-forward rewind play pause give the remote a little workout and sometimes it just starts I don't know I haven't figured out exactly what combination or even if the combination has anything to do with it it might just start on its own

Where this problem really gets irritating is if you're trying to record something so you're recording an SD Channel and then your next recording is a protected H. 264 it's like the recorder can't engage lot of guys been getting failed recordings. It appears the recorder is having a hard time switching from H. 264 to the MPEG 2 stream so it doesn't record.

I also noticed a few audio problems... for example when I turn up the volume on the amp, sometimes this triggers problems with WMC.

I also need to eliminate my HDMI Matrix Switcher.

To eliminate your amp, just bypass it and see if the problem disappears.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:57 am

Testing Upload Attachment
Attachments
UploadAttachment001.jpg

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:20 am

The bummer is I watch very little live TV, so it's "baked in".

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:54 pm

So my contract with Comcast is up around Thanksgiving, this is really making me consider just throwing in the towel and going internet only with OTA.

Any reason why I couldn't use two Hauppauge quadHDs?