29/59 "bug" seems to be fixed

DOS4EVER

HTPC Specs: Show details

29/59 "bug" seems to be fixed

Post by DOS4EVER » Sat May 28, 2016 5:54 am

I just noticed within the past week that I am getting a constant 59 Hz on every channel. No more jittering! Has anyone else noticed this? I'm curious if this is a widespread "fix" or something has changed only in my area. Somebody had to have done something to fix it... Comcast? SiliconDust? Microsoft?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:40 am

You know where these data come from, right? They come from Comcast.

The tuner has ZERO affect on the signal; it merely passes the stream along. Microsoft similarly does nothing more than take the stream of data and puts it to disk.

And everything you see, right, wrong, or whatever, is simply the data stream.

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Sat May 28, 2016 12:28 pm

DOS4EVER wrote:I just noticed within the past week that I am getting a constant 59 Hz on every channel. No more jittering! Has anyone else noticed this? I'm curious if this is a widespread "fix" or something has changed only in my area. Somebody had to have done something to fix it... Comcast? SiliconDust? Microsoft?
Nope, still there (on extenders, at least)...jittering/shaking on logos static images on 1080i material (ie CNN)

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Sat May 28, 2016 3:47 pm

soapdishbandit wrote:
DOS4EVER wrote:I just noticed within the past week that I am getting a constant 59 Hz on every channel. No more jittering! Has anyone else noticed this? I'm curious if this is a widespread "fix" or something has changed only in my area. Somebody had to have done something to fix it... Comcast? SiliconDust? Microsoft?
Nope, still there (on extenders, at least)...jittering/shaking on logos static images on 1080i material (ie CNN)
Makes me wonder if Comcast did something in my area that fixed it. Strange.

STC

Post by STC » Sat May 28, 2016 3:51 pm

It's a technique used to reduce bandwidth. I doubt they would stop using it. Have you tried 411 info on a live channel?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Sat May 28, 2016 4:18 pm

STC wrote:It's a technique used to reduce bandwidth. I doubt they would stop using it. Have you tried 411 info on a live channel?
Yes, on multiple channels that I know had the issue, especially DRM channels like HBO. I am now getting a constant 59 Hz on each. Can't explain it.

I'm uploading a video to Youtube now to show that it is constant at 59 Hz.

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Sat May 28, 2016 4:28 pm

Quick video I posted on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQFOa6QQ13A

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Sat May 28, 2016 6:02 pm

STC wrote:It's a technique used to reduce bandwidth. I doubt they would stop using it. Have you tried 411 info on a live channel?
If they do that to reduce bandwidth then why don't we notice the jittering and such on Tivo boxes or even Comcast's own boxes?

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sat May 28, 2016 6:04 pm

You're lucky, it looks like for whatever reason Comcast in your area is not doing the variable frame rate encoding any more. Are some of your channels going to MPEG-4 as well? If they already have maybe that freed up bandwidth for the MPEG2 to not be variable rate. Or, perhaps they have done this in preparation for taking those channels to MPEG4 encoding.

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Sat May 28, 2016 6:10 pm

stuartm wrote:You're lucky, it looks like for whatever reason Comcast in your area is not doing the variable frame rate encoding any more. Are some of your channels going to MPEG-4 as well? If they already have maybe that freed up bandwidth for the MPEG2 to not be variable rate. Or, perhaps they have done this in preparation for taking those channels to MPEG4 encoding.
I was thinking about that myself, but so far every channel I've tested still shows MPEG2. Maybe, like you say, they are getting ready to switch.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sat May 28, 2016 6:12 pm

DOS4EVER wrote:
If they do that to reduce bandwidth then why don't we notice the jittering and such on Tivo boxes or even Comcast's own boxes?
Because those boxes use video hardware that can reset their processing at the frame rate change fast enough to not have it be visibly noticed. That is why the workaround/fix for WMC is to disable some of the extended processing that most video adapters do. On PC hardware some adapters can be reset in time for the effect to be not really noticeable but not always and it depends on the particular hardware. (e.g. this is why I use Nvidia lower end adapters in my HTPC's as they handle the frame rate change fast enough that it's not really noticeable to me)

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Sat May 28, 2016 6:18 pm

stuartm wrote:
DOS4EVER wrote:
Because those boxes use video hardware that can reset their processing at the frame rate change fast enough to not have it be visibly noticed. That is why the workaround/fix for WMC is to disable some of the extended processing that most video adapters do. On PC hardware some adapters can be reset in time for the effect to be not really noticeable but not always and it depends on the particular hardware. (e.g. this is why I use Nvidia lower end adapters in my HTPC's as they handle the frame rate change fast enough that it's not really noticeable to me)
Ahh, that makes sense. I use Nvidia too because it did a good job with the framerate issue as I only really noticed a little jittering in logos and such.