Volume low coming out of mute

resarfekim

HTPC Specs: Show details

Volume low coming out of mute

Post by resarfekim » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:02 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue. Trying to figure out if it's my pc/display card or receiver or ?

While watching any content on WMC, I hit mute. When I un-mute, the volume is way lower. If I wait a while (maybe 10-20 seconds), it will eventually creep back up to normal (but what usually happens is I raise the volume to compensate, then have to drop it back down when it returns to normal).

Windows 8.1
HDMI out to Sony Home Theatre (5.1 blu-ray), then HDMI to Samsung plasma.

Thanks!
Mike

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:30 am

I am someone who has used media center from XP, was a MVP for Microsoft on it and custom installed over 150 Media Center systems in homes (before MS killed it). I have never seen this type of thing. This must be your receiver. Windows 7 WMC or Windows 8.1 do not act like this after mute and un-muting.

Check in your menus of your system/receiver, there could be a Auto volume or some other "audio" setting that could be doing this.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

resarfekim

Post by resarfekim » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:11 am

Yep. Found the culprit on the receiver - under Audio, there is a "Sound Mode On" option. I disabled, now the audio is consistent. Sounds a little different now... don't know if it's for the better.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:02 am

I know ZVox has what they call "output leveling" which doesn't cause the same effect, but it causes its own effect: overall, the volume is lower at any given MC volume level.

Turn off all those fancy receiver options as the first step to figuring things like this out.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:08 am

resarfekim wrote:Yep. Found the culprit on the receiver - under Audio, there is a "Sound Mode On" option. I disabled, now the audio is consistent. Sounds a little different now... don't know if it's for the better.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
No Problem :)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012