WMC Clean Install on 8 - Decoder Missing error

csvencer

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Clean Install on 8 - Decoder Missing error

Post by csvencer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:14 pm

I'm working on a clean install (had to do a windows reinstall for other issues) and have gotten WMC to work okay, but with issues.

I used the install files for WMC on 8 (now that we are in a post Oct 30th world) and it installs fine but I can't get playback to work as I am receiving a decoder missing/error when I go to recorded or live tv. I can get it to work by installing LAV filters, but then lose FF/RW as I'm sure you know. Is there a hiccup with the default MS codecs not being installed or did something just go wrong and I should try it all over again? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Svence

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:41 am

Did you bypass the DCA or did it pass normally?

Run msinfo from cmd, and navigate to components/multimedia/Video Codecs. Under the status column are they all OK?

Is WMP installed in Windows Features?

You might have to go with Shark007.....Seems to be the only place to get support. Its either that or read the Codec Encyclopedia. I tried it for a bit but got tired of googling every fifth word.

Sorry I'm not much help. I skipped the whole 8, 8.1 fiasco. Presently running 2 WMC's, I kept my Win7 box, and am testing 10 with ported WMC. Seems to run OK. I got Decoder error during the W10 WMC install, the readme said install the latest X64 lav. FF and RW works in 10 (at least with a mouse) I haven't given this one a remote yet.

Here is a good page to find out what you have in your system

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-8

csvencer

Post by csvencer » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:55 pm

WMP is installed on the computer, although adding features is now gone (since this fall I'm pretty sure). All the codecs seem to be installed, but as soon as I remove LAV filters I get the error.

-Svence

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:57 pm

Here are my settings for LAV. They are 100% default settings with the exception of Enable System Tray Icon Version 0.67 was the most recent at the time of install.

There were 2 more questions in the other post.....

1) Did you bypass the DCA or did it pass normally?

2) Run msinfo from cmd, and navigate to components/multimedia/Video Codecs. Under the status column are they all OK?
Attachments
LavFilters002.jpg
LavFilters001.jpg

csvencer

Post by csvencer » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:10 pm

Sorry, missed that on my reply. All codecs are ok. Matched your LAV filters and still having the issue. I haven't tried to bypass DCA, just tried to run the test though and it fails. Can't run winsat either, just opens in cmd window and closes immediately. I'm sure that's not supposed to happen.

Theoretically, I should have just been able to install windows, install mce via the port and be good to go, correct?

-Svence

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:56 pm

Sounds like you got a BF mess.

I only commented because I recently got Decoder Error and fixed it in 10. I showed you how I did that.

If you want to try the Win10 Port WMC, Figure out how to get to Win10 with activation, then go get the latest version of wmc...

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ternatives

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:49 am

csvencer wrote:Theoretically, I should have just been able to install windows, install mce via the port and be good to go, correct?
No, the ported versions of WMC are for Win10 only. Here is an explanation regarding 8 and 8.1

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1197322

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:30 pm

csvencer wrote:I used the install files for WMC on 8 (now that we are in a post Oct 30th world) and it installs fine but I can't get playback to work as I am receiving a decoder missing/error when I go to recorded or live tv. ... Is there a hiccup with the default MS codecs not being installed or did something just go wrong and I should try it all over again?
I recently purchased a new Win 10 laptop, and saw some info relating to this. My understanding is the following:

(1) Win 7 included (as part of WMC) codecs for decoding various video formats. But Microsoft had to pay a royalty to the copyright owner(s) for each Windows licence sold.

(2) To avoid having to pay royalties, Microsoft did not include the codecs in Win 8/8.1. But if you purchased the WMC add-on package, that included not only the WMC code, but the codecs too.

(3) Win 10 does not include the codecs, and there is no WMC add-on package that you can purchase.

(4) The free upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 would result in Win 7 losing the ability to play video, so users who upgrade from Win 7 are entitled to a free download of "Windows DVD Player" (or somesuch name). This player contains codecs (at least, enough for DVDs).

(5) Users who upgraded from Win 8/8.1 to Win 10 never had the codecs in the first place, so they are not entitled to a free download of "Windows DVD Player". But they can purchase this package at extra cost.

(6) The catch is for users who upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 by doing a fresh install. You might think that these users should also be entitled to a free "Windows DVD Player", but because the Win 10 OS has no recollection that it was once Win 7, you lose the entitlement to a free download of "Windows DVD Player".

From your later post, I get the impression that you are trying to install the "hacked" version of WMC on a basic Win 8/8.1, and that you are not using the WMC add-on package purchased at extra cost for Win 8/8.1. If this is the case, the lack of codecs is to be expected.

By the way, I have no idea whether "Windows DVD Player" contains all of the codecs used by WMC (it might be only a subset).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

csvencer

Post by csvencer » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:31 am

I am doing exactly as you said, trying to install WMC on 8.1 but don't have the feature add on anymore. There is no way to install WMC on 8 anymore, no more keys, no more feature add ons, nothing that I can find. I installed the hacked version (which I guess is for 10) and have that working, but only with LAV filters installed, killing FF and RW. It sounds like my options may be to install DVD Player (which I don't even know where to do that, I don't think it's in the app store) or install 10 and do a full hacked version, or just deal with it for now.

-Svence

csvencer

Post by csvencer » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:49 pm

I've read through a good percentage of the DigitalLife thread and I think I am good to go, but to just confirm, I can do a clean install of 8.1 (non-pro), upgrade to 10, install the hack, download the DVD player app (either free or not) and should be fully operational. Correct? I just want to make sure I don't jump to 10 and am screwed because I can't go back to what I have now (broken or not).

-Svence

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:32 am

csvencer wrote:I can do a clean install of 8.1 (non-pro), upgrade to 10, install the hack, download the DVD player app (either free or not) and should be fully operational. Correct?
I don't think that you can be sure that it will work acceptably (or at all) until you try it. So you might do all that and still find that the result is unacceptable.

If I were determined to use WMC, I would install Windows 7 (it can still be purchased if you search the internet, e.g. Amazon).

I now use MediaPortal, but MediaPortal does not work with encrypted content.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:16 pm

I agree that going from Win7 (with activation) to 10 works fine because that is what I have been testing. I am not quite clear on the 8.1 to 10 upgrade. I have read about a few failures. If I were you, I would join up over there and ask your question. Maybe you guys can understand what this guy is saying better than me.
So it's a no go on any Win Starter, Home Basic, Enterprise, Server on any Win 8.x w/o the official WMC package

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1197266

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:56 pm

I just did a 10 Reset, then rebuilt WMC. The order I used once I got to 10 is....

Install all the Win10 updates. Get them out of the way before you start.

If the Video card driver doesn't look right deal with that, before you start installing WMC.

Install a Zip App. WinRAR works for me. Forget about the DVD player

Open an elevated CMD prompt and run net localgroup "administrators" "Network Service" /add

1) Download and install LAV from GitHub version 0.67
boot
2) Download and install Digital Cable Advisor and PlayReady from M$
boot
3) Install your Tuner software. I am using HDHR Prime 3CC, and select setup for WMC.
boot
4) Download and install WMC Version v11.7z from Page 1
boot
5)Open WMC and run Setup "Custom" NOT EXPRESS and complete all 4 or 5 steps before you try TV or Guide or anything.
In the Library Setup, confirm where all the folders are set to.
6) copy and paste your stuff into the default library folders.

csvencer

Post by csvencer » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:54 pm

Crash2009 wrote:I just did a 10 Reset, then rebuilt WMC. The order I used once I got to 10 is....

Install all the Win10 updates. Get them out of the way before you start.

If the Video card driver doesn't look right deal with that, before you start installing WMC.

Install a Zip App. WinRAR works for me. Forget about the DVD player

Open an elevated CMD prompt and run net localgroup "administrators" "Network Service" /add

1) Download and install LAV from GitHub version 0.67
boot
2) Download and install Digital Cable Advisor and PlayReady from M$
boot
3) Install your Tuner software. I am using HDHR Prime 3CC, and select setup for WMC.
boot
4) Download and install WMC Version v11.7z from Page 1
boot
5)Open WMC and run Setup "Custom" NOT EXPRESS and complete all 4 or 5 steps before you try TV or Guide or anything.
In the Library Setup, confirm where all the folders are set to.
6) copy and paste your stuff into the default library folders.
Thank you for the detailed run down. DCA and PlayReady or easy MS downloads I assume? Just google and download? Also, with that described list, you have no FF issues or any playback issues in general?

Thanks again, you guys are being really helpful!

-Svence

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:46 pm

csvencer wrote:
Thank you for the detailed run down. DCA and PlayReady or easy MS downloads I assume? Just google and download? Also, with that described list, you have no FF issues or any playback issues in general?

Thanks again, you guys are being really helpful!

-Svence
yep MS for both. As I said before no issues with playback using KB and mouse, I haven't tested a remote yet.
Attachments
PlayReadyDCA.jpg