WMC 8.1 running in Hyper-V Gen 2 VM

richbutler1

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by richbutler1 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:24 pm

Thanks 3rob3, I did see that one and have the critical steps in place (pass through disk, server nic) Merry Christmas and Thanks! Still stumped.
3rob3 wrote:I have no specific help for you, but I have seen a few threads about people running WMC inside a hyper-v. Have you read those? This one has a few tips at the bottom:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=7&t=8690

tocsin

Post by tocsin » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:10 pm

Hi, richbutler1 - my setup is not exactly the same (Win 10 host for one, and Gen 1 VM), but I do have WMC running in a VM after several false starts, so don't give up!

Unfortunately, I don't have a step-by-step - I did use a lot of info on tenforums.com and the like. Here's what I do remember:

1. Live TV won't work (needs a Win 7 Enterprise guest to support the graphics) - not a problem for me, as it is recordings I want.
2. Automatic archive to server (WHS 2011) doesn't work.
3. I record UK OTA TV (Freeview), so no cable, satellite or copy protection issues.
4. Used a Gen 1 VM with 1 virtual processor, 2Gb memory, 126Gb virtual HD.
5. Host OS is Win 10 Pro, guest is Win 7 Pro, installed from original retail DVD.
6. Graphic card setup in the VM was critical (help found on tenforums, etc).
7. Network was simpler - HomeRun boxes were found immediately (this was an area I expected problems...)
8. Guide was initially incomplete, a few errors were fixed with GuideTool - updates are coming through fine.

I don't see any reason why a Win 8.1 VM shouldn't work likewise, the only issue is you probably won't be able to use a remote desktop connection to the server but would need an attached screen?

If I think of anything else, I'll post again - just wanted you to know that it can work!

richbutler1

Post by richbutler1 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:19 pm

tocsin, I should have posted an update, but thx for the reminder. I was able to get it working via a VMWare workaround, then convert to Hyper-V. To be completely honest, I don't remember now if I only tried a Gen 2 VM with Hyper-V. That could have been the problem. Those trying, please start with a Gen 1 in Hyper-V for the initial install of WMC 8.1. Please report those findings if successful so others can avoid the long path I took. I'm considering converting my Gen 1 to Gen 2 VM using a script I saw on a M$ forum for the hell of it and to have tighter Hyper-V integration/migration capabilities down the road. https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windows ... n-81ddafa2

Here's the long road:
UPDATE: Based on T-S's workaround idea, I was able to kludge a workaround for standing up a WMC 8.1 guest OS with tuners and WMC installing completely. My setup is HD Homerun Extend (OTA only), Hyper-V server on 2012 R2.

Download VMWare vSphere Workstation ## trial version (you get 30 days)
install VSphere Workstation, create new virtual machine using your windows iso
ensure your network selection is to use the same physical network as host (Dont recollect exact item, but was topmost) I had some issues getting VM to see the tuners at first
install hd homerun software and setup tuners
open wmc and setup tv signal
allow guide download to finish if you like
power down vm
I am just running a desktop so going though the ESXi server conversion process was a bit much though tried it
Used Starwind Converter to convert the VMware vhd to Hyper-V vhdx
Copy vhdx file to your Hyper-V virtual hard drive folder
Create a new Hyper-V GEN 1 vm, 2 CPU, 4Gb RAM recommended (GEN 1 was key, I thought I would be able to use Gen 2...no go)
Install ServerWMC
Make Public Recorded TV folder public read capable, you may have to turn off login requirement under advanced sharing so that extenders like Plex can access it.
Install MCEBuddy 2.3.13 (latest free version) and install ht tps ://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/releases/view/105099
Setup MCEBuddy and Schedule recordings in WMC
DONE: You've got a backend only WMC PVR (OTA Only) that will record (and convert, strip commercials with proper setup) , then move them to your Plex/Media player folder for timeshifted viewing
I have tuners on my TVs for Live TV, so only need a great PVR and Plex to stream them
I hope this helps someone else who want to stand up a Media Center VM and had some trouble like I did

tocsin

Post by tocsin » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:30 pm

Had a look at the thread in post #20. I seem to have broken most of those rules!

PC is an HP Pavilion 550-153na bought over the counter to replace my dying Win 7 box - I liked the i5-6400 processor for the price. Importantly, no special NIC or graphics card, though I replaced the HD with 2 SSDs.

I didn't pass through to a physical drive, just used the VHD.

Just seen your new post - great news that you've got it working :thumbup:

I would also say try a Gen 1 VM, which was an early non-decision on my part!

BlueScreenOfTOM

Post by BlueScreenOfTOM » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:30 pm

I'm curious to hear after a month or two how your experiences are going. I definitely got WMC working inside Hyper-V with a lot of effort, and it was acceptable, but the experience never quite matched what I expected coming from a dedicated MCE machine. Random stuttering on live TV and playback from extenders was my major complaint. Are you all seeing this?

tocsin

Post by tocsin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:54 pm

BlueScreenOfTOM wrote:I'm curious to hear after a month or two how your experiences are going. I definitely got WMC working inside Hyper-V with a lot of effort, and it was acceptable, but the experience never quite matched what I expected coming from a dedicated MCE machine. Random stuttering on live TV and playback from extenders was my major complaint. Are you all seeing this?
Well, it took me a few days to get things working (a lot of googling/ research, which I should have kept better track of). I wasn't bothered about live TV (good job as that appears to need a Win7 Enterprise guest OS). It was my first attempt at using a VM, so more learning curve than many tech folk - I decided to try this as an alternative to flattening a new PC and installing Win 7 on that, which would have been my plan B.

So far, all works fine. I can record up to four simultaneous HD channels in WMC in the VM. Files are then manually copied to the server and later edited on the same PC that hosts the VM or on my laptop. End result is MP4 files on the server that can be viewed via Plex, WDTV Live media player or VLC on PC/ laptops. Everybody's happy, and I hope it's the long term solution.

tocsin

Post by tocsin » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:32 pm

Just a quick update to say that WMC in a VM is still working for me :)

(Reminder - this is in Win10, so off the OP's original title).

I've extended the virtual hard drive after getting back from an lengthy holiday (WMC was kindly auto-deleting some recordings), and I've upgraded to EPG123 (many thanks @garyan ). Other than that, it just keeps rolling along...