Windows Media Center freezing with new HDMI 2.0 video card

rasmasyean

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows Media Center freezing with new HDMI 2.0 video card

Post by rasmasyean » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:25 am

I just wanted to log an issue here that others have experienced in the GeForce forums.

Problem:
GTX 960 on Windows 8.1 x64, Driver 359.06 as of this writing.

1) Freezes Windows Media Center on tune.
2) Freezes Windows Media Center within an hour of recording playback.
3) Has a few vertical lines on the right (looks like 1 pixel width) during recording playback.

Solution:
Used 355.82 as per suggestion by Kressilac in thread "Drivers 355.82 last drivers to work with Windows Media Center on Windows 7 x64".
Solved #1.

Adjust Video Image Settings -> Deinterlacing (uncheck Use Inverse Telecine)
Solved #2.

#3 remains unsolved.

Thanks.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:03 pm

Thanks for posting. That doesn't sound good.

Is this issue being seen with all HDMI 2.0 cards when used with Media Center? Or is just some specific systems which are affected?
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

rasmasyean

Post by rasmasyean » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:48 pm

IT Troll wrote:Thanks for posting. That doesn't sound good.

Is this issue being seen with all HDMI 2.0 cards when used with Media Center? Or is just some specific systems which are affected?
I've only seen GTX 960 gripes so far. Not sure about other hdmi 2.0 cards. As I understand it, this is relatively new so we haven't had a lot of ppl buy these yet for this purpose, given that 4K 60Hz video rare and all. I guess we'll see more anecdotes as the holiday shopping spree passes.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:11 pm

rasmasyean wrote:I just wanted to log an issue here that others have experienced in the GeForce forums.

Problem:
GTX 960 on Windows 8.1 x64, Driver 359.06 as of this writing.

1) Freezes Windows Media Center on tune.
2) Freezes Windows Media Center within an hour of recording playback.
3) Has a few vertical lines on the right (looks like 1 pixel width) during recording playback.

Solution:
Used 355.82 as per suggestion by Kressilac in thread "Drivers 355.82 last drivers to work with Windows Media Center on Windows 7 x64".
Solved #1.

Adjust Video Image Settings -> Deinterlacing (uncheck Use Inverse Telecine)
Solved #2.

#3 remains unsolved.

Thanks.
Interesting discussion. My HTPC was always on Windows 7 x32 (never an issue), till I gave it more memory, after going to x64, For some reason I was getting random blue-screens. NVidia driver would cause some issues but, not all of them. I was still getting a blu-screen after updating drivers. It was 100% random, some weeks no problem, others 1-2 times a week, sometimes while watching TV.

My HTPC has a GTX750ti 2gb card and it does have HDMI 2.0. I do run WMC @ 2160p @ 60hz. This is giving me 4K support, as I have some random clips in 4k, that look awesome on WMC (dropping the clips on a USB 3.0 drive directly into the TV vs. the Media Center machine). Hoping for a PC based 4K Blu-ray drive when it's finally released (just a matter of time).

I moved to 8.1, this seems to stop the Blu-screens but, I want to move back to 7 X64, I just don't see an advantage to 8.1 for WMC, lots of older WMC programs don't run right under WMC, to the point that I am losing some features on 8.1 that I had on 7(One big one is only get 100mb from the NIC drive, as it's a 1gb card, known issue under 8.1 but, not under 7). If we could run and control 8.1 apps via remote, I could see a major gain for it but, that does not work on any app I tried.

#3 is a big issue for me. I see this on every video I watch, Movie, TV, video clip. I tried different drivers, re-install, no real hint on what this issue was. There was a update for Windows 7 that claimed to FIX this issue but, it did nothing to help me.

When WMC is first started, or port changed (it re-syncs when switching to the HDMI port), WMC works fine then about 2-3 min into it, I get a random freeze for about 5-10 seconds (no matter what I am doing), after it goes away, it seems to work with out an issue.

I might try rolling back drivers on my 7 partition to see if that fixes the issue. Can you link to that thread on the last driver on 7 x64 issue ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:10 pm

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 89#p100689

Looks like there is a setting for that flickering on the right hand side.

Edit: Click the link above, I documented it step by step, the flickering on the right hand side is GONE ! Fixed finally.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012