HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by JTScribe » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:50 pm

3rob3 wrote:I think you can install it on 8.1 just like on Win10:
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1142647
How so? Using the version marked 8?

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:51 pm

Read that thread a bit, but I thought it worked on 8 just using the latest installer.

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:33 pm

Dumb question - if someone upgrades their 8 to 10, that marks the existing Windows 8 license IIRC. If they have a Media Center key associated with that license does it become freed up or is it no longer good?

wacool4

Post by wacool4 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:23 pm

Was there ever a solution to this or are you just out of luck if you do not have Windows Media Center installed with Windows 8? I was looking at buying a newer used computer with Windows 8 installed because my Windows 7 Media Center Computer is about to die. Maybe I should look into heroic life saving measures for this old computer instead.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:03 pm

3rob3 wrote:Read that thread a bit, but I thought it worked on 8 just using the latest installer.
It does work on 8.1, the version was RIPPED form 8.1 and patched, the installer requires 8.1 or Windows 10...I can 100% confirm this.

wacool4 wrote:Was there ever a solution to this or are you just out of luck if you do not have Windows Media Center installed with Windows 8? I was looking at buying a newer used computer with Windows 8 installed because my Windows 7 Media Center Computer is about to die. Maybe I should look into heroic life saving measures for this old computer instead.
Only choices are to BUY a key from a 3rd party (WMC key), or install the hacked version of WMC for Windows 10, It was ripped from 8.1 and ported to 10, it does work but, some aspects don't work fully, like extenders.

You can no longer buy it from Microsoft...

You could always buy a new computer and wipe Windows 8.1 and put on Windows 7, that would also solve your problem, There is no changes in 8.1 WMC, in fact there are less features on the 8.1 version (Always on top, start with Windows and 3rd party extenders are removed from 8.1)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

JonathanRN

Post by JonathanRN » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:18 pm

Is it possible that someone has one more key they could spare? I had been experimenting with other newer PVRs like HDHR DVR and Emby, and they all have great ambitions but they just aren't stable enough for daily living. I just reformatted my garage PC (my media server) with 8.1 and come to find out after the successful media center pack upgrade, my activation was broken. I spent about 40min on the phone with tech support who tried his own keys without success, he basically said he couldn't help me. I guess I could redo everything again with Win7 (Win10 won't work because I need extenders) but I thought there may be a generous soul who has another key.

Thanks!
Jonathan

6athome

Post by 6athome » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:43 pm

I bought a XPS 8900 core 6 i7 with Win 10 and planed to make it my last HTPC. I bought a copy of Win 8.1 pro and a new hard drive, I did the install.
Having a WMC key, I used the key and it downloaded WMC, now I am having a message a boot that the key for WMC is invalid, I called Microsoft's and they said it was a valid key ,but it was blocked , ok it's me and unblock it, after 3 hour and 3 departments, I was told that support for Win 8 is dead and I can do the same.
Now I don't get the boot invalid message, it's during the play back I get the key message. I was told by Microsoft that WMC is plug and play and it should work, well it's not. any help with this cluster would be appreciated.

cseaman

Post by cseaman » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:05 pm

I hit this same issue trying to activate a new 8.1 WMC build this week. MS activation support won't provide any options other than directing you to buy a new key - first-tier support doesn't have any clue about the fact that the product is discontinued and unavailable for sale from Microsoft.

The Windows 8.1 Pro Pack SKU we're looking for is 5VR-00139, and very few places carry it anymore (eBay didn't even have any listings as of today). The prices I'm seeing are $105-$250, unfortunately.
I'll happily pay for a valid and working Pro Pack key if anyone has one.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... -gQviQIowE

I really didn't think I'd have to be dealing with this so soon. :wtf:

bluedevil

Post by bluedevil » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:55 pm

Hmm... I've been gathering components for a new 8.1 WMC build and this doesn't sound good. Can anybody confirm a successful WMC activation and usage for a fresh Win 8.1 install?

BTW, is there a way to transfer the keys (both Windows and WMC) from a working system?

echarne

Post by echarne » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:46 pm

Does anyone still have a key for windows media center under windows 8.1? Thanks!

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:52 am

For reference, here is what my key looked like in the Microsoft email, including the "must be activated" 2013 date. I have NEVER had an issue calling Microsoft to get something activated that failed activation, like clean reinstalling Windows......worth a shot with the Pro pack key!

Windows
Thank you for registering for our free Windows 8 Media Center Pack offer! **

Here’s your free Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key:

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Follow these steps to add Windows 8 Media Center Pack to your PC running Windows 8 Pro:
Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search).
Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.
Tap or click Add features to Windows 8.
Then tap or click I already have a product key.
Enter the product key, and then click Next.
Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.
Your PC will restart automatically and Windows Media Center will be available for use.
Learn more about Windows Media Center

** Windows 8 Media Center Pack is available at no charge for a limited time only through the promotional page on Windows.com. If you obtain Windows 8 Media Center Pack through any other location, fees might apply. Offer valid from October 26, 2012, until January 31, 2013, and is limited to one product key per email address. In addition, each product key can only be used with one computer. You qualify for this promotion if your PC is running Windows 8 Pro. Additional hardware may be required to watch and record live TV. You must provide a valid email address to receive your Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key. This promotion ends on January 31, 2013; your product key must be activated no later than February 1, 2013. Microsoft will only contact you at the email address you provide to send you your product key and to remind you when the activation period for your product key is ending. Catalysis Corporation is a third-party company we use to collect subscription information and process the delivery of these emails. If you purchase a new PC with Windows 8 preinstalled and you later upgrade that PC with Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8 Media Center Pack, a volume license edition, or a retail edition, you will no longer be able to install apps that are provided exclusively from your PC manufacturer through the Windows Store. Get the full details on our special offers.

cmn8

Post by cmn8 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:29 am

I am also looking for an 8.1 Media Center key. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

ThePaladinTech

Post by ThePaladinTech » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:18 pm

ALL as I posted in the other topic regarding activation: the windows 8.0 pro pack Also works - ON 8.1! I know, cuz I took took the chance and purchased a windows 8 pro pack key on ebay ($70) - I then installed 8.1 using the Microsoft media creation tool, Used my 8.0 license key (which activated fine) and then added the 8.0 pro pack. Viola - 8.1 install with media center licensed. And I've repeated the install at least 3 times... Yeah I goofed a few times wanted a UEFI load and didn't get one the first two times.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... k&_sacat=0

There's one on there right now for $45...

tedfoster

Post by tedfoster » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:29 pm

Hello
I am also having problem with getting a Win8 Media Center Key. Does any one have a spare or extra key they are not using.
Thanks
Ted

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:16 am

This is a shame what MS is doing.

There are forcing people to run a hacked version of the OS just to reinstall your system.

It is possible to activate windows and WMC using DAS or Microsoft Toolkit.

aquadextrous

Post by aquadextrous » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:45 pm

Or just install the WMC installer for Windows 10 ... stuff like Toolkit is usually full of nasties.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:41 pm

IF you wanted to do a CLEAN install... this should solve most unable to download WMC issues... You need to have a legal key for WMC to do this...

You need to find a ISO (torrent) with Windows 8.1 WITH Media Center with install keys. Find a install key for WMC. Use the ISO you downloaded, use a WMC install key and install it to your HTPC/PC... When it comes up, activation will fail. Check for WMC... if WMC is there, go back in activation and CHANGE KEY to your official WMC key... It should activate, if not, do Microsoft's Activation hotline and activate.

WMC was always a addon for 8.1... So you needed 2 keys. One for 8.1 and one for WMC. This was the method if you used the 8.1 key for another machine and you could activate a 2nd machine with only using the WMC key...

Of course, you can download the Windows 10 WMC and just install it... As it's a hacked version, it's got some extra things but, it might take a few extra steps to get everything working.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

KarterJK

Post by KarterJK » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:52 am

aquadextrous wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:45 pm Or just install the WMC installer for Windows 10 ... stuff like Toolkit is usually full of nasties.
Is there actually a WMC installer that works with the newest version of Windows 10, I thought it went defunct, many versions ago?

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:27 pm

You can still make it work unless your using a cablecard

KarterJK

Post by KarterJK » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:14 am

jachin99 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:27 pm You can still make it work unless your using a cablecard

ahh, thank you. I do use cable card.

I just wonder why it doesn't work, wish I did programming.