Problem buying Media Center Pack Product Key

IT Troll

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by IT Troll » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:26 pm

newfiend wrote:You could try posting in the want to buy section here on TGB and see if anyone has a Windows 8.1 WMC Key they want to sell that's un-used.. You may find one that way.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did just that and now have an activated copy courtesy of a forum member.

This will keep me going until one of the alternatives gets more mature PVR.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:35 pm

No problem, glad you found someone with a key. =)

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:32 pm

I tested this myself in a WIndows 8.1 Pro VM I have with out media center. It does not offer the option to buy it. Tried it on my 8.1 tablet and VM.

At least if you really need WMC on Windows 8.1, the install for Windows 10 (the hacked version), does work on 8.1 (the files come from 8.1), Right now Protected content is not working (and I think there is a progress to it) and Extenders can be gotten to work but, they disconnect after 5 or so min (something also in progress)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:36 pm

DavidinCT wrote:I tested this myself in a WIndows 8.1 Pro VM I have with out media center. It does not offer the option to buy it. Tried it on my 8.1 tablet and VM.

At least if you really need WMC on Windows 8.1, the install for Windows 10 (the hacked version), does work on 8.1 (the files come from 8.1), Right now Protected content is not working (and I think there is a progress to it) and Extenders can be gotten to work but, they disconnect after 5 or so min (something also in progress)
No I think buying a key from someone who doesn't need it is a better option - no compromises in functionality have to be made there 8-)

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:09 pm

Ed  wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:I tested this myself in a WIndows 8.1 Pro VM I have with out media center. It does not offer the option to buy it. Tried it on my 8.1 tablet and VM.

No I think buying a key from someone who doesn't need it is a better option - no compromises in functionality have to be made there 8-)

Oh, I agree but, for people who cant find someone selling, might be an option. I use WMC on my HTPC(Win7) but, on my other computers (tablet and office machine), I use the shared tuner feature of Ceton to watch TV on the other computers (no extender usage on these machines).

The Windows 10 WMC installer works perfect for these machines. Of course if Microsoft allowed a WMC option on Windows 10, I would buy it in a heartbeat but, this option is NOT available so I have to use what I have access to.

There is always a bunch on eBay, Microsoft did sell a retail package for the WMC upgrade to Windows 8.1.... Normally can be found for under $40 or so...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

rliepins

Post by rliepins » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:12 pm

Back when they were offering the freebies, I got about 10 keys. I'd be happy to work with anyone wanting a key. Please pm me if interested.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:28 pm

rliepins wrote:Back when they were offering the freebies, I got about 10 keys. I'd be happy to work with anyone wanting a key. Please pm me if interested.
When they were giving out the free keys, they had the footnote that they needed to be activated by a certain date to remain valid. No clue if they held true to that or not, but if the keys were never activated, you better make sure they're still valid first before you sell them. They can always be re-activated by someone else later on, as those who purchased keys from me and others can attest.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:56 am

Ed  wrote:
rliepins wrote:Back when they were offering the freebies, I got about 10 keys. I'd be happy to work with anyone wanting a key. Please pm me if interested.
When they were giving out the free keys, they had the footnote that they needed to be activated by a certain date to remain valid. No clue if they held true to that or not, but if the keys were never activated, you better make sure they're still valid first before you sell them. They can always be re-activated by someone else later on, as those who purchased keys from me and others can attest.
Agree with Ed here.. I have two "free" keys I got and never activated. I tried later on to activate them (as I didn't need them at the time) and they would NOT activate. Any keys they gave out for free had to be activated by a specific date. If they weren't they were de-activated by MS afaik.. Mine will no longer work.
Luckily I got a WMC key prior to them deciding to stop selling the keys and WMC pack..
I found this tidbit interesting since we are already having problems with users getting new keys.. http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index. ... ober-30th/
newfiend~

rliepins

Post by rliepins » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:14 am

Actually, I wasn't going to sell them... If someone wanted one, I'd be happy to give them one if they really needed a key. I never made the jump to 8.1 because of my Ceton Echo.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:55 am

newfiend wrote:
Ed  wrote:I found this tidbit interesting since we are already having problems with users getting new keys.. http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index. ... ober-30th/
newfiend~
That article only mentions the Pro Pack which is the retail upgrade to Windows Pro and Media Center for Windows Home. However the original source is this MS knowledgebase article which does also mention the Media Pack for Windows Pro.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3107057

MS Support told me Media Center was no longer being offered as of July 31st. I think the truth is that the changes they made to the activation servers for the release of Windows 10 broke the Add feature mechanism in Windows 8. Muppets.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:08 pm

rliepins wrote:Actually, I wasn't going to sell them... If someone wanted one, I'd be happy to give them one if they really needed a key. I never made the jump to 8.1 because of my Ceton Echo.
If you still have keys, I would love one, trying on a 2nd PC, my WMC 8.1 key is on a dev machine that I really dont want to nuke. Send me a PM if you have one you can give out..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

NCoastTweaker

Post by NCoastTweaker » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:59 am

I'm late to the party. been using Win 7 pro / WMC / Ceton InfiniTV4 and want to try out Win 8.
Now I'm finding out about the WMC issues. geez.. I just purchased a win 8.1 pro pack from a private user on Ebay.
I plan on purchasing full vers of win 8.1 home and upgrading existing win 7 to win 8.1 and then using the pro pack to update to win 8.1 with wmc. (am I doing this right)

what a pita...

Rizyak

Post by Rizyak » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:33 pm

NCoastTweaker wrote:I plan on purchasing full vers of win 8.1 home and upgrading existing win 7 to win 8.1 and then using the pro pack to update to win 8.1 with WMC. (am I doing this right)
You won't be able to add WMC as a feature on win 8.1. That functionality as well as the ability to purchase the WMC key is what MSFT stopped supporting on October 30 2015. You'll need to try and get/buy a key from a user on this forum.

NCoastTweaker

Post by NCoastTweaker » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:33 pm

Rizyak wrote:
NCoastTweaker wrote:I plan on purchasing full vers of win 8.1 home and upgrading existing win 7 to win 8.1 and then using the pro pack to update to win 8.1 with WMC. (am I doing this right)
You won't be able to add WMC as a feature on win 8.1. That functionality as well as the ability to purchase the WMC key is what MSFT stopped supporting on October 30 2015. You'll need to try and get/buy a key from a user on this forum.
the announcement on the Microsoft site states:
"As of October 30, 2015, the Windows 8 and 8.1 Pro Pack (which upgraded Windows 8 Home or 8.1 Home to Windows 8 Pro or 8.1 Pro, with Media Center) and Media Pack (which added Media Center to Windows 8 Pro or 8.1 Pro) are no longer available for purchase from Microsoft. Previously purchased feature pack licenses will still work, and valid feature packs may still be available for purchase from third-party retailers. Support for these products is still available."

The announcement says Windows 8 and 8.1 pro pack and media pack are no longer available for purchase from the Microsoft store.
It also says previously purchased feature pack licenses (like the media pack keys your referring too) and the Win 8.1 Pro pack are still valid. You just need to find a 3rd party retailer selling them..

So my initial statement appears to still be valid:
I will test this and reply back once the software's arrive. I purchased full win 8.1 home / basic version on slamazon, and a Win 8.1 pro pack new in box from a private seller on sleazebay.

Hope you are wrong...

thx

espersen

Post by espersen » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:26 pm

Also in the market for a key
- if its possible to activate Media center on my new Lenovo M93P with Win 8.1pro
Have been using WMC for years - and love the all-in mediacenter.

Would be glad if you send private message if you have one ;)

kind regards

Shaqtinafool

Post by Shaqtinafool » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:55 am

rliepins wrote:Actually, I wasn't going to sell them... If someone wanted one, I'd be happy to give them one if they really needed a key. I never made the jump to 8.1 because of my Ceton Echo.
I am also in the market for a key. Just received 2 Infinitv 4's and can't even use them since WMC is impossible to find!

Anyone have a key???

rliepins

Post by rliepins » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:37 am

Sorry all...been busy. PM me for a key. I have a few left.

Mizzike

Post by Mizzike » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:42 am

So bummed to finally get a Surface Pro 3 with Windows 8.1 and can no longer even purchase the WMC key!! Craziness. Worst decision ever for Microsoft to ditch the single greatest program I have ever used. Killing me! This really sucks. Anyone able to arrange a key would be amazing!!!

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:40 pm

I think you can install it on 8.1 just like on Win10:
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1142647

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:39 pm

Also looking for a key if anyone has one.