Problem buying Media Center Pack Product Key

clio_williams

HTPC Specs: Show details

Problem buying Media Center Pack Product Key

Post by clio_williams » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:33 pm

Evening all. I have just bought an Intel Compute. This device came pre-installed with 'Windows 8.1 with Bing' which I have upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro. I want to see how this device will behave as a secondary Media Center machine/Extender. Just for viewing purposes... definitely not for recording etc.
Trouble is, when I go to System and click on the 'Get more features with a new edition of Windows' link (which you have to do to get the upgrade) then click on "I want to buy a product key online" (as I don't already have one) I get the message "Sorry, online purchase isn't available in your region. In most places you can go to an electronics shop to buy a product key."

I'm in Jersey (Channel Islands). All region/language settings are set to UK, English, BST, etc. etc. as is appropriate for Jersey. I have tried using a UK proxy setting in IE to no avail.

I would be interested to hear...
1. Does anyone have a solution to this?
2. Does anyone know anywhere (online) I can buy a key? I believe it should cost around £6.99.

Kind regards,

James

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:39 pm

I've seen issues where people have been unable to purchase / install the mc add-on if their pc originally shipped / was upgraded from an "n" edition of windows.

Possibly not the same issue but it may help troubleshoot? It might be a sku type issue.

Can you maybe try a clean install using the pro key you have, then try to purchase a key?

Create a system image backup etc first.....
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

clio_williams

Post by clio_williams » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi Rob, and many thanks for your suggestion. I didn't have an 'N' version but it may be an SKU issue... though it doesn't look like it with other things I've since seen with the Product Key purchase process. Essentially, what I've found is that if I use a UK proxy I can get beyond the initial page where it accuses me of being in an invalid location but then, on the next page, when I enter my details including Postcode I think it fails again as it doesn't like Jersey as a location from which I can make the payment etc.
... and yes, I am happy to try a re-install but would rather explore other options first....

So... would some kind sole out there like to purchase a license key for me and I'll buy it off them with Paypal adding a small fee for their trouble? Obviously I'd need a screen-shot of their successful purchase screen so I know the key has been obtained through genuine means and not just ripped off some website.

Kind regards,

James

shibz

Post by shibz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:26 am

I am also trying to buy the Media Center Pack for my Windows 8.1 Pro system. My old media center computer finally kicked the bucket and I bought this as a replacement. Unfortunately I'm getting the same message as you, and I live in the continental United States. I have talked with about 10 different people with Microsoft support and they are all telling me that Microsoft just doesn't sell this product anymore. This is especially confusing because their website (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ture-packs) says that they do. I'm still trying to convince one of them to let me buy it. If I figure out how, I'll post here. Otherwise I'll have to downgrade back to Windows 7 Pro.

Edit: Yep, dead end with Microsoft support. They say they can't do anything about it now, everyone is using Windows 10 and they don't support jack shit for Windows 8 anymore. Best we can do is downgrade. http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensi ... ights.aspx

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:53 pm

I just installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 Pro and I am also getting the "online purchase isn't available in your region message". I'm in the UK.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:32 pm

OK I just spent 1 hour 25 mins with MS online support which included a remote session onto my PC. Eventually they confirmed that Media Center is no longer being offered. I'll spare you the first hour of chat and fumbling around, here is the relevant bit from the 2nd line tech.

here's what I found out
it appears Windows Media Center is no longer being offered
as all as upgrading to Windows 10 Media Center pack is phased out
we cannot proceed in getting this product

I intentionally purchased Windows 8.1 so that I could use Media Center. It is still listed on the main Windows website.

I agree, however Microsoft has decided to remove these as we push for Windows 10 upgrade you wont be able to get Media Center there

So why does this say otherwise? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind ... ture-packs

I understand this one's outdated, I will advise this website to be updated to our developers

And this http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ter/get-it
I have purchased based on this information.
There must be a way to get a key for this.

these are resource materials , since the release of Windows 10 July 31st Windows Media Center including product key are no longer being offered, I have checked our system tools to see if we can get a key but unfortunately there's no option now

Well this is very bad for your customers. Published information still says it is available

We are sorry for the inconvenience thanks for letting us know, we'll make sure we make an update on these respurce materials

The crazy thing is Media Center is included in Windows 7. Not an addon. I believe I could downgrade but I would rather not.
Windows 8 has downgrade rights to Windows 7?

its your preference, but it appears your key is a retail

It is and not cheap, which is why I am not very happy about this.
As you may have seen from the computer name, this is a HTPC so Media Center is essential.

I understand, I apologize for any inconvenience
at this point we can no longer get Windows Media Center

If I choose to go for the downgrade option how do I do that?

Downgrade rights are only applicable for OEM or preinstalled copy
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensi ... D0NZdTQ3bp

So I'm stuffed?

you can get other media center programs from third party as an alternative

They are not as good.
OK, I guess I should let you go.

Thanks for your time
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:53 pm

Not good :(

Not surprising though now that MS want us all to forget about W8
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:37 pm

I would see if you can get a refund for the purchase price you paid for Windows 8/8.1. That's complete B.S. that it's advertised for sale yet you can't get a key.
I'm glad I updated to 8.1 w/ Media Center when I did.
newfiend~

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:27 pm

I bought the retail copy of 8.1 a few months ago, fearing that I would struggle to buy it once 10 was released. However I didn't install it until this weekend as my new HTPC is based on Skylake hardware and so is only just out/built. Now I have shiney new hardware with fresh 8.1 and no Media Center. :cry:

It would seem my only option is the rather dodgy hacked version that is floating around. Which I will install completely guilt free.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:33 pm

Well If you're going down that road might as well install Windows 10 and then install the Hacked WMC.. I still think it's crap you cant get a key since Windows 8/8.1 is supposed to support it. I know they hate WMC and want to make it "just go away" but there are still a lot of people that want to use it. Doesn't make sense to limit the income it provides MS either to me... (not that its a huge amount) but $ is $..

It would be one thing if there was a path to take to "upgrade".. But IMO XBOX One is not a WMC replacement. Especially here in the U.S. with no CableCARD tuner support. I want to use more than One or Two tuners to DVR my shows and the TV Tuner for XB1 just doesn't fit my needs.

I'm more than a little upset at MS for the lack of support on their products lately.. Everything gets abandoned it seems. Zune, WMC, Windows Phone, Surface RT.. Even the new 950 and 950XL Phones have very limited availability here (AT&T only for the 950). If they want their ecosystem(s) to succeed they need to start supporting their products better and offer a path to upgrade to and make it available to all.

A lot of Windows Phone fans have been waiting for a flagship to "upgrade to". And they release the 950 and 950XL at Microsoft stores and AT&T?? Really MS? That's it? WTF?

Sorry I got off topic a bit but the lack of foresight is astounding to me.. Everything is streaming now, yet a lot of people still use Cable TV, hey I have an Idea lets kill WMC! :crazy: Why not upgrade WMC and support streaming and cable TV?? :idea: you would think MS would want to be everywhere.. On the PC, In the living room, in your pocket.. to me it's like they lost touch with what their customers like and or want.
Sorry for the rant.. I guess I'm PMS'n.. (no offense to the ladies out there). :D
newfiend~

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:40 pm

I am tempted to go Win 10, but some of the third party tools don't work so well. I am also fearful that MS will send out a "kill bit" (sorry, compatibility update) for Media Center on Win 10 at some point.

Have you seen the preview screens for the PVR software on XBone? Running Windows 10 might I add. It looks spookily like Media Center. Why can't we have that?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:45 pm

IT Troll wrote:I am tempted to go Win 10, but some of the third party tools don't work so well. I am also fearful that MS will send out a "kill bit" (sorry, compatibility update) for Media Center on Win 10 at some point.
That's always a possibility.. You could try posting in the want to buy section here on TGB and see if anyone has a Windows 8.1 WMC Key they want to sell that's un-used.. You may find one that way.
Good Luck Bro.. I still don't know what "upgrade path" I'll take from WMC.. :x

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:00 am

IT Troll wrote:Have you seen the preview screens for the PVR software on XBone? Running Windows 10 might I add. It looks spookily like Media Center. Why can't we have that?
No, where you see that? Got a link?

STC

Post by STC » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:12 am

This puppy perhaps

xbone + CetonOne 4 tuner ;)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:45 am

Who is making the PVR software that works with Ceton tuners and XBOX One? Last I read silicon dusts PVR was HD Homeruns only..right?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:59 pm

It is made by Microsoft but OTA tuners only so far I think.

The screenshot just screams of Media Center.

http://news.xbox.com/2015/08/gamescom-d ... the-air-tv

STC

Post by STC » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:34 pm

newfiend wrote:Who is making the PVR software that works with Ceton tuners and XBOX One? Last I read silicon dusts PVR was HD Homeruns only..right?
Microsoft. Although the Ceton part is guess work for sometime in 2016.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:37 pm

This is why MS are working hard getting the Rovi partnership in shape. It's not because they have interest in the declining WMC user base. We are convenient beta testers for them to get the xbone guide platform up to spec.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:59 pm

So I am assuming that the PC with a Ceton tuner would still be required and Ceton isn't making a new cableCARD tuner exclusively for XB1 correct? I would be ok with that. I could then consolidate my HTPC and server into one unit that would do both and just use the xb1 as the front end.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:35 pm

There is no official word on anything.
I can only assume the xboneTV solution is going to be a closed system that uses proprietary external xb branded tuners. Whether or not Ceton and MS have a secret handshake to make xb cablecard tuners is pure conjecture.