Removing delete option from movie details?

OTA

HTPC Specs: Show details

Removing delete option from movie details?

Post by OTA » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:45 am

Hello. New user to WMC, but I'm jumping in with both feet. Is there a way to remove the option to delete a movie from the details page? I don't want my kids accidentally deleting something.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:07 pm

OTA wrote:Hello. New user to WMC, but I'm jumping in with both feet. Is there a way to remove the option to delete a movie from the details page? I don't want my kids accidentally deleting something.
I don't believe so, This is something I have always wondered about myself.

You could set your recycle bin to make sure it does not auto delete. As if they DO delete something, you could just restore it.. It's not a fix but, a work-a-round...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

OTA

Post by OTA » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:36 pm

My media is served from a NAS, so the recycle bin won't be an option. I did have emby installed, but ended up taking it off. I liked the look, but considering it takes a server, plus the plugin and I wasn't looking at transcoding anything, it became too resource intensive for my little HTPC. If there was a way to get the emby look without having to run a server, that would be awesome, but I guess they are making it an all incorporating program. I'll check and see if I can modify it with MCE reset toolbox.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:46 pm

just change the protection on the files??? Make it so NO ONE can delete them...

OTA

Post by OTA » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:06 am

sbaeder wrote:just change the protection on the files??? Make it so NO ONE can delete them...
I'm running Media Center Master on the back end, so making the files read only would make it where MCM wouldn't function properly. I may just look for another program to play movies that can be incorporated into WMC. Another issue I found last night is my HTPC was off and after turning it back on, all my movie libraries were gone. I went through the setup and there were none listed. Has anybody used Kodi? Does it require a server to run on the system in addition to the client like Emby? I don't need a server, transcoding or any of that jazz. I'd just like a nice skin for movies.

roswellgrey

Post by roswellgrey » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:12 pm

Assuming you can set per-user permissions on your NAS ....

Media Center (client) runs under an account (say "Eric", for example)
Set read only access on NAS for "Eric"
Media Center cannot delete anything now
Any anyone else can do whatever they could before ...

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:56 pm

Or just make sure Media Center Master is running on an account that has privs to do the renames, etc. Or after it has done it's thing, change the privs.

In general, ALL the variuos solutions are server/client - even if they are lightweight and run the client on the same box as the "server" - i.e. separate process used to drive things...

OTA

Post by OTA » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:18 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up installing Kodi. Seems to work well. I'll still be using WMC for my DVR needs.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:12 pm

My movies would work too.