Help! Screen Saver in WMC 8.1

General Jumbo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Help! Screen Saver in WMC 8.1

Post by General Jumbo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:05 pm

Hi All,

This is my first post so hope this is in the right place. :-)

I'm having a problem since I "upgraded" from Win XP mce to 8.1 and hoped that somebody may be able to help:-

I play music from my PC through my TV using Media Centre (full screen using a remote control).
When I had XP, the screen saver would come on after a specified time per my screen saver settings as I wanted (as I don't want to see the now playing info on my telly when listening to music).
Since I changed to 8.1, WMC prevents the screen saver and turn off monitor from working, leaving the screen on when playing music (very annoying).
NB if I minimize WMC when playing music, the screen saver works fine.

I've double checked the screen saver and turn off monitor settings and tried playing with all the settings in WMC but to no avail.

Would really appreciate help here as after 5 hours online searching I can't find how to fix this. Ironically, many others seem to have the opposite problem!

Thanks in advance,

GJ

bobstr

Post by bobstr » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:38 pm

What's probably happening is that your Media Center screen saver (aka slideshow) is kicking in before the windows screen saver.

If you want the windows screen saver to 'win' and be in control, set your media center slideshow to kick on after a far longer time than the windows screen saver is set for.

I had the exact opposite problem - I wanted the media center slideshow, but the screen was going blank on my TV. Took me a while to realize that the windows screen saver was set for a shorter time than media center's screen saver (aka it's picture slide show).

General Jumbo

Post by General Jumbo » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:07 am

bobstr wrote:What's probably happening is that your Media Center screen saver (aka slideshow) is kicking in before the windows screen saver.

If you want the windows screen saver to 'win' and be in control, set your media center slideshow to kick on after a far longer time than the windows screen saver is set for.

I had the exact opposite problem - I wanted the media center slideshow, but the screen was going blank on my TV. Took me a while to realize that the windows screen saver was set for a shorter time than media center's screen saver (aka it's picture slide show).
Thanks for your reply. Strange thing is, the media centre slideshow is unchecked (i.e switched off). Out of interest, is this a common problem or unique to my machine?

Thanks.

GJ