Upgrading hardware on my 8.1 MC HTPC

jbf154

HTPC Specs: Show details

Upgrading hardware on my 8.1 MC HTPC

Post by jbf154 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi folks. I'm going to be in the process of moving in the next few months and I was going to take advantage of needing to repair my CableCARD with a new Comcast account and just do a hardware upgrade.

Currently, I have Windows 8.1 32-bit with 4 GB of RAM. Once I move, I'm going to have at least 1 XBox 360 extender (currently I don't have any extenders). I may expand that in the future to additional XBox 360 extenders, but for now just 1.

There are some tasks that I think I should undertake before adding the extender:
  1. Reinstall Windows 8 as 64-bit to give be access to more than 4 GB of memory. Do you think this is necessary? I'm concerned that 4 GB won't be enough with 1+ extenders.
  2. Upgrade my Hauppauge DCR-2650 (2 tuners) to something with 4 tuners. Any recommendations? Sometimes my DCR-2650 can't be found after resuming from standby & requires me to power cycle it a few times.
  3. Swap out 1 of the 2 mechanical HDDs for a SSD that the OS would be installed on. Recordings & live TV buffer would go to the mechanical drive.
  4. Is gigabit ethernet recommended with extenders, or is 100MB sufficient?
Now, I have my Window 8 Pro and MCE license keys. Can I reinstall with these hardware changes and not run into a licensing issue? Is there a way I can archive my current recordings that I don't want to lose (currently on the same drive as the OS)? Is there anything else I should be thinking of?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:11 pm

I would definitely install a 64-bit OS. There is no reason to stay on 32-bit. I would not upgrade the RAM at this time. 4GB is plenty. A rule of thumb is 1 GB of RAM per active extender session.

I would replace the Hauppauge DCR-2650 with an HDHR Prime.

100M is fine for an extender, although if you can install gigabit, do it.

Once you reload Windows, you will lose your copy-protected recordings. There is no way around it. Recordings that are not copy-protected can be copied to another hard drive or another computer.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:04 am

jbf154 wrote:Hi folks. I'm going to be in the process of moving in the next few months and I was going to take advantage of needing to repair my CableCARD with a new Comcast account and just do a hardware upgrade.

Currently, I have Windows 8.1 32-bit with 4 GB of RAM. Once I move, I'm going to have at least 1 XBox 360 extender (currently I don't have any extenders). I may expand that in the future to additional XBox 360 extenders, but for now just 1.

There are some tasks that I think I should undertake before adding the extender:
  1. Reinstall Windows 8 as 64-bit to give be access to more than 4 GB of memory. Do you think this is necessary? I'm concerned that 4 GB won't be enough with 1+ extenders.
  2. Upgrade my Hauppauge DCR-2650 (2 tuners) to something with 4 tuners. Any recommendations? Sometimes my DCR-2650 can't be found after resuming from standby & requires me to power cycle it a few times.
  3. Swap out 1 of the 2 mechanical HDDs for a SSD that the OS would be installed on. Recordings & live TV buffer would go to the mechanical drive.
  4. Is gigabit ethernet recommended with extenders, or is 100MB sufficient?
Now, I have my Window 8 Pro and MCE license keys. Can I reinstall with these hardware changes and not run into a licensing issue? Is there a way I can archive my current recordings that I don't want to lose (currently on the same drive as the OS)? Is there anything else I should be thinking of?
32 Bit is a preference, if your only using 4gb of memory, you can go any way. If your using a older machine, 32 bit will give a hair better performance in my testing over 64 bit and on a lower machine it could be the difference on some content. I do not know of ANY plugins made for WMC that REQUIRE a 64bit machine, so on that aspect, anyway and your safe.

I have dual booted with Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit, and same with Windows 8.1 w/WMC 32 bit and 64 bit, in both cases on a CORE2 Quad with a GTX750, playing 4K content, I noticed on the 32 bit system (using the same version of drivers across the board for the video card), would be flawless video as 64 bit, was not perfectly smooth (the settings on the machines and builds for video were EXACT) and on higher bit would get a hair choppy that the 32bit did not show.

For the record, I ran a CORE2QUAD @ 3ghz, and 4gb of memory, running 2 extenders and running the main TV @ 2160p (4K) with Windows 7 x32 with -0- problems. WMC came out on WIndows 7 when dual cores were the norm(WMC in Win 8 is the Windows 7 version with no changes), so even a mid like PC would do fine but, the suggested for about 1gb memory for each extender is right in line where it should be.

Cablecard recordings will not play back if their DRM protected if you rebuild your computer. The quick way to test ? GO on another machine with WMC on it (Win 7 box, or 8.1 w/wmc) on your local network, Map a drive to your WMC machine and get to your recorded shows, try to open them, If your not DRM protected, the shows will play back fine, if they are protected, you will get a license error and they will fail to play.

As for your license moving to a new machine all depends on what type of license it was, If this was OEM (that came ON THE machine) as long as it's the same motherboard and CPU, your OK. If this was a retail copy, then it can be moved machine to machine, the only thing to worry about is OEM.

Quickest way to find out if it's OEM, is go here....

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

Put in your key, if it offers you to download the ISO, you have a retail key(MSDN, education, etc, but, can be moved), If it tells you to go to your manufacture of your PC, you have a OEM key...
Last edited by DavidinCT on Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:10 am

If you're using a current release of LAV Filters (or my codecs) for playback, 64bit is leaps and bounds ahead of a 32bit playback chain.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

jbf154

Post by jbf154 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:44 pm

I really only use my WMC PC for cable card and netflix. I guess the other question I have is around the WMC license. I got it when they were giving them out for free. Since WMC is a separate add-on for Windows 8, would that key still work if I reinstalled?

gbwelly

Post by gbwelly » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:31 pm

jbf154 wrote:Can I reinstall with these hardware changes and not run into a licensing issue?
Not so much a licence issue, but there is a high chance your machine wont automatically activate. Performing a phone activation is pretty painless though, the operators don't tend you quiz you at all other than checking you aren't installing a second copy.
Once the base OS is activated, the MC key doesn't care about hardware when you add the feature to Windows.
Definitely go 64bit, it's miles better.