How to reset Windows 8.1 Media Center

gbwelly

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to reset Windows 8.1 Media Center

Post by gbwelly » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:22 am

Hello all,

I am struggling to reset my Media Center to first run configuration. Both executing 'mcupdate.exe -mediacenterrecovery' and running the equivalent task within the Task Scheduler do nothing. I have previously used this command under windows 7 and it would generally kick off a lot of background activities. Under Windows 8.1 nothing seems to happen, and when performed using the Task Scheduler, the task shows as running for only a couple of seconds. Additionally I always get an error when launching media center stating that a serious problem has occurred and I need to run setup again. In the past this would present me with the 'Express setup' and 'Custom setup' options, in this case I can click OK, and continue using Media Center (eg guide is still configured, channels tuned etc.).

I gather removing the Media Center feature from windows no longer truly uninstalls it as it did under windows 7.

Can anyone suggest to me how to get out of this pickle without reinstalling Windows?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:03 pm

You can stop all eh* services (or reboot into safe mode)

Then move the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome folder and the C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\ehome folder somewhere safe (in case you want to undo the reset).

Then reboot.

That will pretty much reset Media Center.

There is another ehome folder under username\ somewhere that houses the dvdinfocache stuff.

You can always unhide system files, then search for ehome folders and delete / move everything except the C:\Windows one.

You may might have to double check the file paths - I'm out right now.

The other option is to remove the MC feature in add/remove programs and then delete all ehome folders found on C:\

Then reboot and add MC back in.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:09 pm

^ I edited my last post - don't move or delete the c:\windows\ehome folder unless you've removed mc via the control panel first!
Rob.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:34 pm

You might also want to simply first create a new user and log on as that user and see if you get a fresh environment. Not sure but it is little work and not much room to break anything etc.. Good luck.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:52 pm

^ that will definitely get you a clean environment with regards to user libraries, you'll still be using the old TV setup and database though (EPG/recordings etc.)
Rob.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Fri May 20, 2016 12:40 am

I tried deleting everything above and all it deleted was my TV setup. I'm trying to solve an issue with an error when I attempt to add extenders.... The extender is still there when I go into settings.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu May 26, 2016 1:16 am

kd6icz wrote:I tried deleting everything above and all it deleted was my TV setup. I'm trying to solve an issue with an error when I attempt to add extenders.... The extender is still there when I go into settings.

Follow the directions above but, delete the registry keys as well. HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center

The Key thing is to delete the Programdata\Microsoft\Ehome folder and the above registry KEY, This should force WMC back to first run (first time you run it).

When you create an extender, it creates a new account on your machine...

Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer management Expand Local users and groups, Open Users. You will see MCX1-<machine name> (or more MCX2, etc, depending on how many extenders you have) right click on them and delete them.

That should remove the Extender account and remove it from WMC...

If you really get stuck, send me a PM, I have a batch file from the eHome team to deal with this...I don't want to post it on the forum for everyone but, will help one by one if REALLY needed.
IownFIVEechos wrote:You might also want to simply first create a new user and log on as that user and see if you get a fresh environment. Not sure but it is little work and not much room to break anything etc.. Good luck.
That will only fix library issues, TV setup, Extenders, and MOST settings are for all users. Deleting the Key in H Key local machine, will clear it up for all profiles.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Thu May 26, 2016 2:03 am

I will remember this for next time. I've reinstalled Windows several times since I ask. I have a whole bunch of driver issues that I'm working with the motherboard manufacturer to resolve.

This issue has to do with my NIC driver and the use of Link Aggregation. Temporarily disabling LAG allowed for the extenders to pair fine.

I don't recommend just deleting the folders as I couldn't get the Extras Library back after doing that.

6athome

Post by 6athome » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:58 pm

I installed a Realteck update from windows, for my WMC 8.1 and it crashed my computer. Now I cant reinstall windows 8.1. I install my windows 8 pro and go to install windows 8.1 and I get the failed to install windows 8.1. Windows 8 is activated,can't figure out what is going on.