Media Center won't record, says broadcast restrictions

scyto

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by scyto » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:50 pm

KeithLa wrote:JHanks64, thank you very much for posting this. I experienced the exact same problem on Comcast 105 here in Seattle starting two weeks ago, and it appears to have been resolved by updating my Ceton InfiniTV PCIe to the current beta firmware, via the Ceton Diagnostics Tool, Update tab, check "Include beta updates" checkbox.
I am in Kirkland and have seen same thing even though I am on latest beta firmware. Comcast are idiots and sending different flags - i have seen on blacklist and blindspot the copy once flag and the no copy flag. Whats annoying is their own X1 DVR ignores these flags (i think because FCC says they are not allowed to apply to OTA broadcast channels put onto cable). As such i think Ceton should be allowed to make the same change in their firmware to not pass those flags to media center for that channel.

Bottom line beta firmware doesn't solve the issue in my experience.

Space

Post by Space » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:27 pm

If Comcast has enabled CCI on broadcast networks, then they are really screwing up.

It is more likely that the local station (not the cable company) is setting CGMS (especially since you said it was on particular shows and not on the entire channel which will generally only happen with CGMS). It is my understanding that the latest pre-beta (not beta) firmware for Ceton cards fixes this by ignoring CGMS.

Note that this pre-beta firmware is over a year old, and there may be newer firmware (I don't have Ceton cards, so don't follow the firmware releases), but as far as I know it is the latest one.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=8352

KeithLa

Post by KeithLa » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:17 am

Scyto, sorry to hear you're still having the problem. I was thinking same thing as Space mentioned, that it's not clearly Comcast at fault, potentially it's KING-TV.

How did you acquire and install the Ceton beta firmware you're using, i.e. was it the same path I described in the Ceton Diagnostics Tool, Update tab, check "Include beta updates" checkbox?

Also, I want to call attention again that prior to installing the beta firmware, I also had to install and run the Digital Cable Advisor tool from the Extras Gallery, after Media Center Settings told me that my PC was not CableCard ready (which I knew it was).

scyto

Post by scyto » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:51 am

Space wrote:If Comcast has enabled CCI on broadcast networks, then they are really screwing up.

It is more likely that the local station (not the cable company) is setting CGMS (especially since you said it was on particular shows and not on the entire channel which will generally only happen with CGMS). It is my understanding that the latest pre-beta (not beta) firmware for Ceton cards fixes this by ignoring CGMS.

Note that this pre-beta firmware is over a year old, and there may be newer firmware (I don't have Ceton cards, so don't follow the firmware releases), but as far as I know it is the latest one.

Well I wasn't running that, I will install and see if it helps. Their update tool isn't offering me anything newer.

scyto

Post by scyto » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:53 am

Space wrote:If Comcast has enabled CCI on broadcast networks, then they are really screwing up.

Well I wasn't running that, I will install and see if it helps. Their update tool isn't offering me anything newer.