How to get PC to sleep, wake for recording, then sleep after

dmagerl

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by dmagerl » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:39 pm

I think I spoke too soon. I have run this test quite a few times and my computers have never slept.

I just repeated it on a different computer and it woke up, recorded, and promptly went to sleep. I give up... :-)

lonepalm

Post by lonepalm » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:55 pm

Here are my MST (Standby Tool) settings. I believe they are all (or mostly all) default. The Windows Idle one shows the red box..that's because my TV is on :)

lonepalm

Post by lonepalm » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:32 pm

So, I have finally got my PC to a state where it will sleep (when manually told to go to sleep) and wake for recordings. However, it will not go back to sleep after recordings. I have no idea why. So essentially, it looks like the PC will sleep when manually entered into that state, but not on its own. Does anyone have any ideas? After the PC is idle for the amount of time set until it is supposed to go into sleep mode (for testing purposes, 3 minutes), it just shows the photo slideshow screensaver (which, oddly enough, is not even the screensaver I have set -- I didn't have one set at all).

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:08 pm

Are you running Plex or other like software.

My HTPC would not go to sleep as the Network would wake them up (keep alive) the network port with multicast traffic.
You have to enable (check) the third option in the NIC's power management setting to only wake on Magic packet, otherwise it would never sleep.

Once i checked that option the PC would go to sleep but it would nolonger wake up by network traffic, so i had to go out to the room and start the PC to be able to make the Remote desktop connection to it. SO this might be a problem for you X-box 360's.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:33 am

I remember back in the good old days when bots were easily detected by their off-topic posts. Now we have to worry about them quoting people and inserting random links into the quote...

rainlake

Post by rainlake » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:45 pm

poit57 wrote:I've never been able to get sleep working properly with Media Center since I started using it on Vista. I have two identical computers running Windows 8.1 with Media Center. My normal-use home office computer sleeps and wakes as designed. My living room PC that is used for about 95% of the television consumption in my house always wakes immediately after I use the remote to put it to sleep, and it never goes to sleep on its own.

As far as I can figure, the only difference is that one is scheduled to record about 3 hours of television every night and the other one is only occasionally used for live TV or playing back unprotected recordings.. This is my third different computer and third operating system since I started using WMC, and I've always had this same issue with sleep mode.
I've a htpc wake immediately after sleep. turns out the driver of my ethernet card comes with windows did not work well. I upgraded to lastest version from offical site fixed this issue.

rainlake

Post by rainlake » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:47 pm

lonepalm wrote:So, I have finally got my PC to a state where it will sleep (when manually told to go to sleep) and wake for recordings. However, it will not go back to sleep after recordings. I have no idea why. So essentially, it looks like the PC will sleep when manually entered into that state, but not on its own. Does anyone have any ideas? After the PC is idle for the amount of time set until it is supposed to go into sleep mode (for testing purposes, 3 minutes), it just shows the photo slideshow screensaver (which, oddly enough, is not even the screensaver I have set -- I didn't have one set at all).
Did you install WMCServer or other plugins like that?
my htpc can not go back to sleep for a very long time until yesterday I tried uninstall every unnecessary software one by one. turns out WMCServer caused my htpc can not sleep

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat May 06, 2017 6:36 am

I realize this is an old thread, but I didn't know WMCServer can prevent HTPC from sleeping. I could disable that but.....

I suppose, if I wanted to wake up HTPC from a WAN location, I would have to connect to my router first, then, send a "magic packet" to the HTPC.
Attachments
WmcServer010.JPG