when cometh the beta ?

gcoupe

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by gcoupe » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:10 pm

richard1980 wrote:My prediction: It's not in the consumer preview because they haven't finished the task yet.

I think carljanderson was correct before when he said nobody at Microsoft fully understands the WMC code. If I had to guess, I'd say it's been a challenge for Microsoft to figure out how to migrate the application to W8...a bigger challenge than they anticipated.
I think this is quite probable. If Microsoft really want to come up with a spanking-new version of WMC, then they might want to code it anew as a Metro app, using the WinRT APIs. That way, they would have a new WMC that would run on both x86 and ARM hardware.

As it is, the current WMC will only ever run on x86, so its long term future is questionable right from the start.

If indeed MS are working on a completely new version, then it joins a very select group of apps - MS are only doing that for the main Office apps at the moment as far as I'm aware.
Geoff Coupe

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:41 pm

oooooo, WMC on ARM.

Since I have a nicely running 7MC system, I can easily put off buying a Q until these kinds of things are settled in.

Apple is doing everything it can to force the world to SSD and bring prices down; I can see a Q running a Windows embedded system on ARM on a cheap 64GB SSD with a small spinning disc for recorded TV, and MC being Metro...

TheBlueButton

Post by TheBlueButton » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:31 pm

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/mic ... -mwc/11856
Microsoft to launch Windows 8 Consumer Preview at MWC

By Mary Jo Foley | February 8, 2012, 10:06am PST

Summary: The Windows 8 Consumer Preview is launching in Barcelona during the Mobile World Congress on February 29.
(And yes 2012 is a leap year so February has 29 days this year).

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:44 pm

adam1991 wrote:oooooo, WMC on ARM.

Since I have a nicely running 7MC system, I can easily put off buying a Q until these kinds of things are settled in.

Apple is doing everything it can to force the world to SSD and bring prices down; I can see a Q running a Windows embedded system on ARM on a cheap 64GB SSD with a small spinning disc for recorded TV, and MC being Metro...
That would be nice, a nice quiet, cool running system... unfortunately from what I've ready, I seriously doubt MC will be ported to Arm :-(

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:24 pm

Anyone on a Connect programme for Win8? I've looked through the Connect Directory and cannot see it listed.

By this stage in Win7's life I was already feeling some Microsoft loving. I guess I've been dumped!

Though, TBH, I'm just not that excited about Win8. The Dev Preview lasted about 10 minutes before I lost my temper with it. And with them announcing that some of the new features, like IE10 and SkyDrive integration, will be made available on WIn7, I'm not actually seeing any point in upgrading.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:50 pm

Yeah me too Mark...nothing this time! I have been incredibly critical of MS these last couple of years on their forums and I am under no illusion that I haven't done myself any favours!
Rich

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:51 pm

As we got into the Win7 Connect through the old TGB route, we're probably just not required this time around: 7MC = 8MC!

I see that MS today are boasting that they've added UK English, or English as I prefer to call it, to Win8. I wonder if this means they'll fix the spellings in Media Centre that I reported as a bug during Win7 beta?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:59 pm

I see that MS today are boasting that they've added UK English, or English as I prefer to call it,
Englysh?

Colour.

Aluminium.

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:26 pm

mark1234 wrote:I wonder if this means they'll fix the spellings in Media Centre that I reported as a bug during Win7 beta?
Oh I doubt it ;)
Rich

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:31 pm

adam1991 wrote:
I see that MS today are boasting that they've added UK English, or English as I prefer to call it,
Englysh?

Colour.

Aluminium.
Relevant to Media Centre you also have programme, Optimisation, Behaviour. I'd probably prefer film to movie as well, but I'll cope with that one.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:44 pm

mark1234 wrote:
adam1991 wrote:
Englysh?

Colour.

Aluminium.
Relevant to Media Centre you also have programme, Optimisation, Behaviour. I'd probably prefer film to movie as well, but I'll cope with that one.

My personal favourite - Favourites :)

Oh and Grey
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.