Display driver error on Win 8

jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Display driver error on Win 8

Post by jachin99 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:27 am

I'm getting a display driver error message on a new Win 8.1 install with T-S's WMC v8. Changing the Window size fixes it but I would rather not have to. So far I have tried uninstalling playready, and running cleandrm but that didn't fix the problem. I might try again anyway. Is this a purely a playready issue or could be unrelated, and have something to do with the HDCP handshake. This is on a desktop that is running its video signal through an AVR into a TV. I had this issue on the same machine with Win 7 but uninstalling playready, and resetting DRM fixed it. I don't see any options in WIn 8 to connect to an external display which was my other go to fix so I'm open to any ideas. Crash has brought up Actual Multiple Monitors, and I do have a liscence for it BUT I only know of that helping with laptops and not desktops. Can that somehow help to solve my problems? Thanks.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:04 am

The easy fix is to get a POWERED hdmi splitter.... wmc to splitter in.....splitter out 1 to amp...splitter out 2 to TV

Either that. Or, leave the amp powered on (forever) after you maximize-restore.

Handshake issue....the HDMI SINK is drained when you power off the amp.... the amp is unable to negotiate your orders, when powered on. Some members have had some success with the power ON ORDER of the 3 devices... wmc, amp, Tv.

Hdmi 4x4 matrix splitter solved this issue for me.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:19 pm

What about a Gefen HDMI Detective? I have one laying around but I never had any luck getting it to help my problem. If not, which splitter could do this, and pass 7 channel audio, and 3D? Which one do you use? If I get a four way splitter, does that mean I can send the signal to four different TVs? Thanks.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:52 pm

I am not familiar with the abilities of gefen HDMI Detective but I have heard that it might do what you needed to do.

The trick is you have to leave it turned on after you get everything set up and never shut it off.

My Switcher, and the Gefin, are both mentioned in this post.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 843#p64843

Post number 23 number 26 and number 29 are the keys to the project..

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:35 pm

Alright, I'll try the Gefen. Last time, I unplugged it once i captured (I think I captured) EDID info. The next trick will be figuring out where it goes in the signal chain. I have a darby video processor thrown in the mix somewhere but I'm not sure if it is just hooked up to the xbox or what. Removing it didnt solve my problems last time.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:59 am

You know what they say.......

If all else fails.....RTFM

http://www.gefen.com/product/hdmi-detec ... -HD-EDIDPN
Attachments
EXT-HD-EDIDPN_main-51.jpg

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:06 am

Looks like this gefen is a one in..... one out....

You need a 1 in..... 2 out

Like I suggested three posts ago

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:50 pm

It looks like I'll be grabbing a POWERED 2X1 off amazon. Thanks for the help, and I'll let ya know how it goes.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:23 am

I grabbed a 2 X 1 off Amazon for under twenty bucks. I just threw this on real quick, and live TV fired up with no display driver error. I'll speak up if I get any problems later on but it looks like this works. I can share the exact model if anyone is interested. I piped audio through port 2 so I'm wondering if audio has to be feed on last port for all of these. Thanks Crash for suggestion!!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:44 am

You're welcome, but it really wasn't my idea. The members here came up with that one long before I got here. If you leave the splitter on it will remember the handshake for the amp as soon as you decide to turn it on.

Same with the TV it's safe to shut the TV off as a matter of fact if that's the way you want it you can even let WMC sleep personally I don't sleep mine.

When the monitor turns on it's going to be looking for WMC, splitters going to pop up and say you don't need to wake up WMC I got what you need right here. Same deal for the amp.

Play around with it a little bit there's only three devices shut them all down except for the splitter and turn them on in different orders. I doubt you'll find a pattern but you never know about the quality of the splitter

Some use the splitter 4 two monitors instead of a monitor and a amp.

With my HDMI 4 x 4 Matrix splitter I can play a protected whatever on the htpc or extenders or whatever and throw that protected at three monitors and at the amp all the same time. Any source to any monitor or one source to all monitors. My amp is a destination not a source. The audio between the three destinations is in perfect sync. HDMI does a great job of that

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:09 pm

I take it back, I got display driver error this morning. This thing has a switch that lets me pick auto or copy. Does that mean anything to you? The instructions werent too clear on what that does but they do say this:

Copy mode: copy output 2 EDID to input port
Auto Mode: Compare output port 1 and 2 EDID

I looked like it was working last night. I think I even closed and opened WMC without getting display driver error. I remember I powered on the stereo first last night. I have a few registered CEC devices on the TV, and the stereo has CEC as well. I wonder if something is being registered weird for CEC. The implementation of CEC in both devices is wonky.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:47 am

Well here's my order. My splitter has been on for years. Win7 and WMC never sleep and are always on. My television never sleeps or goes into power save. Win7's power plan is set to no sleep no hibernate don't even shut the monitor off.

Check the manual for your amp read up on pass-through and see if it's got any green or power save settings

The only thing that goes on and off is the monitor which is a TV and the amp.

Check your cabling..... you should be going from WMC to splitter in.

Splitter out 1 goes to TV
Splitter out 2 goes to amp

No more TVs on the other side of the amp.

Sketch out a diagram on a piece of paper take a picture of it and upload the diagram here.

What's the model number on that splitter you bought. Posted here somebody will find you a manual somebody else might even read it for you.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:30 pm

Stopping Live TV, and starting it again causes display driver error regardless of how I have everything connected, and I have minimize then maximize wmc to get the error to go away. It looks like an internal handshake issue or some kind of bug. I'm on TS V8 WMC. I'm not really sure what to do from here.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:26 pm

maybe this can help if anyone decides to try debugging: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/mf/201 ... oundation/

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:16 pm

I think this further points to a software problem. I tried using HDMI yoyo, which renegotiates the HDMI handshake between hardware devices, and I still get the display driver error message. I have even tried uninstalling, and cleaning playready after setting up my tuners. This worked for me when the same machine had win 7 32 bit installed but the procedure doesn't seem to work with Win 8. I'm wondering how I even gather info to troubleshoot it.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:41 pm

I tried to look at some logs using the link from above but I'm not sure I'm doing everything right because my log files are empty. I haven't tried to mess with the event viewer yet but I guess it would be in my interest do start figuring it out. I even get display driver error with remote potato but I have the client and server on the same machine. I'll have to try to connect to a different server just to see what happens.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:44 pm

Changing the refresh rate of my PC has the same effect as minimizing and maximizing WMC when I get display driver error regardless of what I change the settings from or to. I wonder if there is a way to easily change refresh rate values between 60, and 59 hz with a hotkey. I hope this gives someone a clue as to what the problem might be.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:24 pm

As a workaround for the time being, I setup a macro in EventGhost to change the refresh rate to 60 hz, wait one second, then change it to 59 HZ. I have read that each setting actually changes your refresh rate to 59.94 hz. If this is true then WMC detecting that the refresh rate has changed is enough to get the error to go away. If all of this is right then the easiest solution would be to tell WMC the refresh rate has change when live TV starts. I trigger my macro with the Live TV button.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:06 am

Have a look at your mini guide thread, I need you to do something.

I could be wrong but I suspect these two problems Maybe related

Failure to unblock the zip file prior to extraction can cause squirrely little problems that nobody else has

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:14 am

I don't think I have the zip anymore on the PC. I checked the extracted folder (Named WMC64 located directly on my c drive) and it isn't blocked. My mini guide worked until I installed Modern Media UI, then it set a reg value to 0 for the mini guide timeout. Setting back to a larger value fixed the problem. I checked the original zip on my file share and it DOES say blocked. its been there for a while but I assume its where this installation came from. Should I try an uninstall, unblock, and reinstall? WMC is pretty stable otherwise.