Reset TV signal without losing EPG123 guide info?

atlupo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Reset TV signal without losing EPG123 guide info?

Post by atlupo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:11 pm

Is there a way to reset the TV signal in Media Center (Win 8.1) without having to go through EPG123 process of getting the guide data back?

I have two HTPCs (both Win 8.1 Pro) - one has internal InfiniTV 4 PCIe card and other uses InfiniTV 6 ETH network device. One with internal PCIe card is rock solid - never any problems.
But other seems to randomly lose connection to the tuners in the ETH unit. Still trying to solve that problem but that is for another day.

So, once Media Center loses connection to the tuners (I get "no tuners available" message in MC), to get them back I need to go through MC TV setup. This, by itself, is not a problem (takes 5 min) but in the process I lose the "guide" item in the MC TV menu. So then I have to go to EPG123 and run "save and execute" to get the "guide" item back in Win8MC. But this always takes more than 15 minutes on my HTPC - just seems like forever when you are waiting and watching that progress bar...

Am I missing something simple in the EPG123 setup process? Is there a way to reset the tuners in Media Center without having to go through the EPG123 setup process?

And if anyone has a suggestion on helping me solve my random loss of tuners problem in W8MC I would be eternally grateful...

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:56 am

There's a couple things you can do to restore the media center.

If you don't mind the running TV Setup again to regain your tuners, then instead of running a Save&Execute from the configuration GUI, you can simply perform a Manual Import from the client GUI. The epg123.mxf file is the latest so there is no need to "download" everything again just to get the guide listings back. You will of course still have to map the listings to the channels either manually or with the Match by: [# Number] button.

I don't know if this will work for you, but once you have everything back up and running, you can create a backup of your WMC configuration using the client GUI [Backup] button. This will create a zip file with your tuner setups, recording requests, and subscriptions. If you lose the tuners again you can try to do a [Restore] of the backup, perform a manual import like above, and you may just be back up and running very quickly. Success will really depend on what is happening to your tuners in the first place. The side effect is you will lose all your past history so if you record New & Repeats, you will start over and again record all the repeats.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

atlupo

Post by atlupo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:56 pm

Thanks very much for the help. I will create backup of WMC config and next time I lose tuners I will be ready to either restore backup or manual import the epg123.mxf file.

Also a big thank you for EPG123. Have been very happy since I switched over last year. Best part about it is that it just works with very little maintenance.

Just wish I could figure out what the heck is going on with the tuners in the first place...