Tv feed frozen after power on

zippzopp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tv feed frozen after power on

Post by zippzopp » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:57 pm

I'm using an hd homerun prime with media center in Windows 8.1

Very often if I come back to my tv and turn it on I'll see that the tv feed is frozen. I have to hit stop on the remote and re select the channel from the guide to get it playing again. The pc is always on, no sleep or hibernate

I've gotten into the habit of hitting stop on the remote prior to turning off so I don't come back to a frozen frame. Any idea why this happens?

I'm running a GeForce 950, outputing 4k resolution to my denon x4200 avr which is connected to the tv. I also have an hd fury integral in the chain to resolve some handshake issues, I don't think that is the culprit, but I may remove it and see what happens.

Because it seems like support is dying off , I tried a TiVo bolt recently and wasn't impressed. I'm getting a little tired of dealing with htpc issues but the interface and experience are stilll quite good so I'd like to keep using it. I'd like to solve the issue above

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:20 pm

zippzopp wrote:I'm using an hd homerun prime with media center in Windows 8.1

Very often if I come back to my tv and turn it on I'll see that the tv feed is frozen. I have to hit stop on the remote and re select the channel from the guide to get it playing again. The PC is always on, no sleep or hibernate

I've gotten into the habit of hitting stop on the remote prior to turning off so I don't come back to a frozen frame. Any idea why this happens?

I'm running a GeForce 950, outputing 4k resolution to my denon x4200 avr which is connected to the tv. I also have an hd fury integral in the chain to resolve some handshake issues, I don't think that is the culprit, but I may remove it and see what happens.

Because it seems like support is dying off , I tried a TiVo bolt recently and wasn't impressed. I'm getting a little tired of dealing with HTPC issues but the interface and experience are stilll quite good so I'd like to keep using it. I'd like to solve the issue above
I would start by checking the health of your drive that you record to (there is a temp folder for current tv watching). Sounds like a drive is starting to fail. I've been using MCE from the XP days, I have seen this a few times (video locking up) and every time it was a drive failing.

I cant see the AVR or the HDfury (I have one too) causing this issue.

Issues every once in while I can understand, besides guide issues (rovi), my WMC machine has been rock solid... a little tweaking can go a long way.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

zippzopp

Post by zippzopp » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:21 am

I'll check the drive but it has occurred since the drive was new....

For the most part the system is rock solid, I've tweaked quite a few things over the past few years and got it into a really good spot. I'm using epg with schedules direct for guide service and also run kodi and plex on it. It's close to being 100% perfect, but I just need to sort out this last issue. It bugs my wife a lot more than it bugs me

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:41 pm

zippzopp wrote:I'll check the drive but it has occurred since the drive was new....

For the most part the system is rock solid, I've tweaked quite a few things over the past few years and got it into a really good spot. I'm using epg with schedules direct for guide service and also run kodi and plex on it. It's close to being 100% perfect, but I just need to sort out this last issue. It bugs my wife a lot more than it bugs me
Now if you leave the TV/AVR on for hours at a time, will it do the same thing after a few hours ? Or is it only after you shut off the TV and turn it back on ?

Your HDfury, is always on, or is it plugged into a switched outlet(a lot of AVRs have switched outlets on them) ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:51 pm

Try one thing.... As WMC is on...TV/AVR on. TV playing like before. Go behind the WMC, unplug the HDMI cable, wait 5 seconds and plug it back in. When image comes back, if TV is stopped it's a HDMI handshake issue... Check your wiring...

and if the HDfury is on a switched outlet, change it to a non-switched outlet.

My case, I get some blinking on WMC (my HDfury is connected to the input on the TV, so I can take avantage of some features on my TV) but, always comes on but, never tried it playing live tv (as I always stop before exiting WMC)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave