Windows 8MC install

wilkcards

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 8MC install

Post by wilkcards » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:17 pm

Can I still add media center to windows 8.1 pro? I need to perform a clean install but want to be sure I can use media center

wilkcards

Post by wilkcards » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:57 pm

The answer is yes...I managed to find my win 8.1 key and the media center key and it works. Now I can DVR OTA channels without having to pay for guide data...

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:31 pm

wilkcards wrote:The answer is yes...I managed to find my win 8.1 key and the media center key and it works. Now I can DVR OTA channels without having to pay for guide data...
The only problem is, you cant buy it any more. So if you dont have a KEY to upgrade to it, you cant buy one, unless you find one on ebay or something.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:52 am

DavidinCT wrote:
wilkcards wrote:The answer is yes...I managed to find my win 8.1 key and the media center key and it works. Now I can DVR OTA channels without having to pay for guide data...
The only problem is, you cant buy it any more. So if you dont have a KEY to upgrade to it, you cant buy one, unless you find one on ebay or something.
He has 2 keys. Why does he need a 3rd? What is this KEY to upgrade all about?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:41 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:
He has 2 keys. Why does he need a 3rd? What is this KEY to upgrade all about?
Just stating a fact that the ONLY problem with WMC on 8.1 is you cant buy it any more, Microsoft will not allow you to upgrade it... If you didn't have one..

I am sure that others would be asking the same thing here.

I have a 8.1 key dual booting with 7 and 8.1...still deciing if I want to move over to 8.1 perm...but, still cant justify it...sigh...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012