Extender (Xbox 360) constantly losing connection with WMC PC

ppilot

HTPC Specs: Show details

Extender (Xbox 360) constantly losing connection with WMC PC

Post by ppilot » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:34 am

So in the last week or so I've started having a weird problem with my downstairs Xbox 360 as an extender. After about 15 minutes of use the extender will suddenly lose the connection, go to the reconnect screen, and then after about five minutes reconnect to the WMC PC all by itself. This will repeat itself into infinity. I did a hard reset of the router and wireless bridge (which the 360 is connected to and both Netgear R7000) but to no avail.

Anybody run into this issue before or have any ideas?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:50 pm

Over the years seeing this, it's always been network connections. If your WMC machine has been rebooted and the router has been reset. I would check the 360. If it could not find a solid wired connection It will switch to WI-FI. If your Wi-Fi router signal where the 360 is located is weak or just OK, you could have these issues.

Even my gigabit router gets a little funky after a while, so once every few months, I just unplug it for a few min, just to reset it..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

ppilot

Post by ppilot » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:12 pm

DavidinCT wrote:Over the years seeing this, it's always been network connections. If your WMC machine has been rebooted and the router has been reset. I would check the 360. If it could not find a solid wired connection It will switch to WI-FI. If your Wi-Fi router signal where the 360 is located is weak or just OK, you could have these issues.

Even my gigabit router gets a little funky after a while, so once every few months, I just unplug it for a few min, just to reset it..
Yeah I will try one more time with the router to see if that does the trick. The reason I think the 360 might be dying is that it is stored in a cabinet that typically has the door closed and when I put my hand on the 360 it feels really really hot. So I wonder if prolonged exposure the high heat could have busted something.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:01 pm

ppilot wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:Over the years seeing this, it's always been network connections. If your WMC machine has been rebooted and the router has been reset. I would check the 360. If it could not find a solid wired connection It will switch to WI-FI. If your Wi-Fi router signal where the 360 is located is weak or just OK, you could have these issues.

Yeah I will try one more time with the router to see if that does the trick. The reason I think the 360 might be dying is that it is stored in a cabinet that typically has the door closed and when I put my hand on the 360 it feels really really hot. So I wonder if prolonged exposure the high heat could have busted something.
Heat could kill it, but, you could always look into the 3rd party fan add-ons for the 360. Try to pull it out of the cabinet for a few days and try to use it to see if it gets better. Check in the 360 menu to MAKE sure it didn't switch over to Wi-Fi, as that could cause all sorts of havoc.

When you go to the red ring of death (google it), then you know it's the heat that killed it and it's pretty much over, unless you want to send it in for warranty or take it by yourself to attempt to fix it.

What type of 360 is it ? The old 20gb white one, or the high gloss black, or the flat black slim ones ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

ppilot

Post by ppilot » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:23 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
ppilot wrote:

Heat could kill it, but, you could always look into the 3rd party fan add-ons for the 360. Try to pull it out of the cabinet for a few days and try to use it to see if it gets better. Check in the 360 menu to MAKE sure it didn't switch over to Wi-Fi, as that could cause all sorts of havoc.

When you go to the red ring of death (google it), then you know it's the heat that killed it and it's pretty much over, unless you want to send it in for warranty or take it by yourself to attempt to fix it.

What type of 360 is it ? The old 20gb white one, or the high gloss black, or the flat black slim ones ?

The 360 is a 360 4GB slim. Anyway, the problem happened to be the power supply to my R7000 acting as my router. I poked around on some networking forms and after telling people of my issues issues they suggested I test another AC adapter, so I bought another R7000 to use it's power supply and everything has worked just fine . With this in mind, I bought another AC adapted on Amazon and so everything should be good to go.

Networking can be the most random thing sometimes and I really appreciate all the advice.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 pm

ppilot wrote: The 360 is a 360 4GB slim. Anyway, the problem happened to be the power supply to my R7000 acting as my router. I poked around on some networking forms and after telling people of my issues issues they suggested I test another AC adapter, so I bought another R7000 to use it's power supply and everything has worked just fine . With this in mind, I bought another AC adapted on Amazon and so everything should be good to go.

Networking can be the most random thing sometimes and I really appreciate all the advice.
Yep that will do it. As I said above "Over the years seeing this, it's always been network connections." This is not the first time I have seen this type of issue, or even the last :-/

And I took up the 360 going to wi-fi because if you have it hardwired and the network cable comes out (or router died), it will jump to wi-fi with out even telling you. This will cause problems on WMC unless your at 100% connection (wireless right next to the 360), If not very high signal you will see breakups on video and other laggy performace.

I run into problems every once and a while, and normally my routers just need a reboot (2 year old Netgear GS116, life time warranty tho)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:53 pm

Agreed with the switch needing a reboot now and then. I have an old Dell industrial unit that I bought used; it's rock solid, except for that need for a reboot every great once in awhile.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:56 am

ppilot wrote:So in the last week or so I've started having a weird problem with my downstairs Xbox 360 as an extender. After about 15 minutes of use the extender will suddenly lose the connection, go to the reconnect screen, and then after about five minutes reconnect to the WMC PC all by itself. This will repeat itself into infinity. I did a hard reset of the router and wireless bridge (which the 360 is connected to and both Netgear R7000) but to no avail.

Anybody run into this issue before or have any ideas?
Run another wire down there and plug the 360 into the same switch as the WMC.

Do not use the router as a switch for your TV Toys. When WMC and 360 are talking back and forth, switch's are more reliable. If one of them is plugged into the router.....sometimes the router will occasionally throw the conversation in the trash....the router might even throw the entire connection in the trash.

The router has enough to do.....Don't make it do the switching too.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:42 am

Crash2009 wrote:...

Do not use the router as a switch for your TV Toys. When WMC and 360 are talking back and forth, switch's are more reliable. If one of them is plugged into the router.....sometimes the router will occasionally throw the conversation in the trash....the router might even throw the entire connection in the trash.

It's my understanding that the 4 ports on consumer routers is just a switch, the router part only becomes involved if the traffic is to be sent to the WAN (Internet) or a WiFi device. So as long as there are no other issues with the switch part of the router, there should be no difference between the switch on the router and a dedicated switch, at least as far as I am aware.

jec6613

Post by jec6613 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:30 am

Space wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:...

It's my understanding that the 4 ports on consumer routers is just a switch, the router part only becomes involved if the traffic is to be sent to the WAN (Internet) or a WiFi device. So as long as there are no other issues with the switch part of the router, there should be no difference between the switch on the router and a dedicated switch, at least as far as I am aware.
This is true of mid-end routers, but low end and high end may have other things going on on the ports - low end because they're cheap and the software may not be good (or the switch that good) and the CPU can be lacking, and high end can do some QoS and basic routing. However, all else being equal, getting a dedicated switch for your devices and having a single connection from it to the router (even a cheap JGS524) works best.

I have a separate router that handles my WAN connection, and connects only to one large switch - which itself only connects to other switches. For streaming live TV to my Xbox 360's, traffic goes from the HDHomeRun into the media services switch, then to the core switch, then out to my top of rack switch, to the WMC ... then back out of that, through the top of rack, to the core, to my non-PoE device switch, and it all works flawlessly.

That said, the core switch's only copper connection is to the edge router, everything else switch to switch is over OM4 fiber within the racks, and OS1 to switches elsewhere in the house (one at my desk and another in the media room). And all switches have at least a 2 Gbps LACP Bundle.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:17 am

jec6613 wrote:For streaming live TV to my Xbox 360's, traffic goes from the HDHomeRun into the media services switch, then to the core switch, then out to my top of rack switch, to the WMC ... then back out of that, through the top of rack, to the core, to my non-PoE device switch, and it all works flawlessly.
Are you saying your WMC is 3 switches away from the media services switch? Are the Xboxes plugged into the same switch as the wmc?

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:32 pm

ppilot wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:
ppilot wrote: Yeah I will try one more time with the router to see if that does the trick. The reason I think the 360 might be dying is that it is stored in a cabinet that typically has the door closed and when I put my hand on the 360 it feels really really hot. So I wonder if prolonged exposure the high heat could have busted something.

The 360 is a 360 4GB slim. Anyway, the problem happened to be the power supply to my R7000 acting as my router. I poked around on some networking forms and after telling people of my issues issues they suggested I test another AC adapter, so I bought another R7000 to use it's power supply and everything has worked just fine . With this in mind, I bought another AC adapted on Amazon and so everything should be good to go.

I was about to ask which Xbox model you have. I think the one you have is the late model unit without the old large connector? It just has HDMI and a 1/8 jack for composite video right?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:00 am

Your answer makes the most sense out of all of them. (including mine) Those dam power supply's (PS) throw the worst curveballs. Only takes a minute to test, we should start there more often...Usually you need a microscope to read the specs on the PS

I don't know why we PC people always go straight to tearing it apart, when we should start with a multi meter. We should be more like doctors....they always start with weight,temperature and blood pressure.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:00 am

so much of the world's tech ills can be best solved by starting with, "is it plugged in and turned on?".

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:11 am

Wonder what the automobile help desk says, when the caller says... "My car wont start"

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:13 am

adam1991 wrote:so much of the world's tech ills can be best solved by starting with, "is it plugged in and turned on?".

That might work with this one...

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 54#p115554