2020 Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 8

WMCuser

HTPC Specs: Show details

2020 Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 8

Post by WMCuser » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:34 am

My SSD has Windows 7 on it. and my Record Folder is on a separate 4TB hard drive.

what happens in 2020 when Windows 7 users need to upgrade to Windows 8.1? will we loose all our recording?

or can we keep on using Windows 7 because even after 2020 WMC itself will still have the listings updated?

is another good option to just convert the recordings to a format that's not protected?

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:27 am

Long term planning, huh?

WMCuser

Post by WMCuser » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:58 am

oakley516 wrote:Long term planning, huh?
yes... by then I should have a lot of important recordings... I know now after doing some reading you have to do an upgrade to Windows 8.0 first then do an upgrade to Windows 8.1... but no Fresh Install of Windows 8 is possible?

I wanted to know if a Fresh Install of Windows 8.0 on a separate SSD but the same HDD with the Record Folder that was used with Windows 7... would this work so I can still play all my old recordings with Windows 8 ?

then I would upgrade to 8.1

this is a new HTPC and was thinking I should start over with Windows 8 so I will have until 2023 instead of 2020.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:10 am

I guess I don't understand...exactly why will we "have to upgrade to Windows 8.1"?

Will Windows 7 stop working? I don't remember hearing that message.

WMCuser

Post by WMCuser » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:03 am

adam1991 wrote:I guess I don't understand...exactly why will we "have to upgrade to Windows 8.1"?

Windows 7 will work fine... but WMC in Windows 7 will no longer have the catalog updated so we will no longer be able to schedule shows correctly. (not 100% sure about this because it seems like Nobody knows for sure how much longer Microsoft will keep updating WMC after 2019)

So if you can get away with all xbox 360 as extenders... if money is no issue... why not use Windows 8? I already have the pro version of windows 8.0 and a licence for WMC but I already have recordings by other family members and they would be upset if I started over... but better now than later!

I would rather do a Fresh Install now while there isn't as many recordings instead of doing an upgrade because if it's a good option... a Fresh Install is better than an upgrade. So maybe I will just wait until 2020 and just do an upgrade to Windows 8.0 then to 8.1 because nobody on GreenButton cares or seems to know......

WMCuser

Post by WMCuser » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:27 am

so My Free WMC key for windows 8 is no longer valid because I did not activate it in time! anybody want to give me a deal on one? or a free one would be best! thanks!!

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:28 am

Do you have a reference for this information that the guide will stop updating for 7MC in 2020?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:30 am

WMCuser wrote:
adam1991 wrote:I guess I don't understand...exactly why will we "have to upgrade to Windows 8.1"?

Windows 7 will work fine... but WMC in Windows 7 will no longer have the catalog updated so we will no longer be able to schedule shows correctly. (not 100% sure about this because it seems like Nobody knows for sure how much longer Microsoft will keep updating WMC after 2019)
While security updates will end on Jan. 14, 2020, there is no indication that guide updates will also end. However, many of us have already switched our channel guide from Rovi/MS to EPG123/Schedules Direct.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

webminster

Post by webminster » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:07 pm

Hard to predict what, 3+ years from now, will be your best choice. As stated, you could keep running Win7 with EPG123. Depending on whether your recordings are copy protected, you could even consider moving those "important recordings" to a different media server, like Plex.
-Alan

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:01 pm

You should be able to keep using it for as long as Microsoft keeps supplying the guide. XP Media Center worked for a year after the official end support date. Since Windows 8 uses the same ROVI data as 7 you should be good until 2023. XP only stopped working because of the switch over to ROVI didn't cover the old system.

As everyone pointed out as well - you should be able to go indefinitely with EPG123 supplying the guide.

WMCuser

Post by WMCuser » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:00 pm

Scallica wrote:
WMCuser wrote:

While security updates will end on Jan. 14, 2020, there is no indication that guide updates will also end. However, many of us have already switched our channel guide from Rovi/MS to EPG123/Schedules Direct.
I could care less about security updates so thanks for the tip about EPG123/Schedules Direct!!
I have a lean Windows 7 Software installation with only Add-ons to wmc... no other software.
3 HDhomerun primes (9 tuners) plus I will be adding 1 HDhomerun OTA tuner (2 tuner)
4 extenders....
Gigabyte HX87 Chipset Motherboard with built in intel ethernet.
intel i5-4460s 65w CPU
8GB dual channel memory 2x4gb
Nvidia GTX750 GPU
120gb intel SSD
4TB HGST NAS 7200RPM HDD

I have also have a ThinkServer, well two... one has the Xenon/i5 and the other is the i3 version.... will the i3 be good enough for a plex server?
and for the Plex.... would Windows 10 be best?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:59 am

Microsoft seem to be struggling to provide EPG at the moment, so I wouldn't expect much beyond 2023. Switching to EPG123 breaks your reliance on Microsoft meaning Media Center can continue indefinitely.

By the way, unprotected WTV files are still playable without Media Center. Protected content is harder to deal with.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:22 am

WMCuser wrote:My SSD has Windows 7 on it. and my Record Folder is on a separate 4TB hard drive.

what happens in 2020 when Windows 7 users need to upgrade to Windows 8.1? will we loose all our recording?

or can we keep on using Windows 7 because even after 2020 WMC itself will still have the listings updated?

is another good option to just convert the recordings to a format that's not protected?
Odds are you will be fine.... Windows 7 SUPPORT (fixes and security updates) ends in 2020 but, all users have been moved over to ROVI, this includes Windows 8.1 users. So Windows 7 and 8 are getting their guide data the same way (8.1's WMC is just a slightly modified version of the 7 version).

When it comes down to it, That is the only support your getting from Microsoft (maybe movie art and music art, this might be an acceptation here)is guide data (with ROVI) and when guide data finally goes away with 8.1, move over to EPG123 and put in your own guide data and it should continue to work just as it is today. WMC can be viable for many years to come after 2023 if you wanted to, Personally I hope someone moves with the ball and makes a better HTPC that supports cablecards...

There is not really a need to move to 8.1 if you don't want to...even when Windows 7 support ends...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:22 am

WMCuser wrote: I have also have a ThinkServer, well two... one has the Xenon/i5 and the other is the i3 version.... will the i3 be good enough for a plex server?
That depends on how much on-the-fly transcoding will be going on. Plex says it takes 2000 benchmark points to transcode 1080p down to a lower resolution. Of course, you only need to transcode if the source file is MPEG2 and/or bandwidth to the playback device is limited (i.e. your Internet upload speed).

An i3 would most likely only be able to transcode a couple of streams simultaneously. My Plex server is a Xeon gen 6 E3-1230v5. It has a benchmark rating of 9300. If 4 users are hitting it at once the fans are screaming! I do have the quality set to "make my CPU hurt!"

This same server is also running Windows Media Center which hardly uses any resources.

So based on your Plex library (file type, resolution of the files), and your Internet connection, you should be able to fairly accurately determine if the i3 will work for you.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

suttonb1

Post by suttonb1 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:27 pm

WMCuser wrote:My SSD has Windows 7 on it. and my Record Folder is on a separate 4TB hard drive.

You most likely can continue to use Win7 forever. The only issue becomes guide data, and whether they cut that off for Win7 users. But there are alternatives for that.

If you do upgrade (or even reinstall Win7), you might lose any protected content that you have recorded but all other recordings will be fine.

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:53 pm

It may be sad to say but to be honest if you are looking to plan for the future 2020+ you would be best to look somewhere other than WMC. Problems are mounting up, its not just the guide, there are unresolvable problems with H264 and H265/HEVC will not work at all in WMC (already in use in Germany for OTA and how long for elsewhere?). Win 7 does not support the latest CPUs (my guess is Win 8 will soon go the same way), so really akward if you have a hardware failure, even without DRM issues with your old recorded content.
Sorry but WMC has no future. :cry:

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:42 pm

joecrow wrote:It may be sad to say but to be honest if you are looking to plan for the future 2020+ you would be best to look somewhere other than WMC. Problems are mounting up, its not just the guide, there are unresolvable problems with H264 and H265/HEVC will not work at all in WMC (already in use in Germany for OTA and how long for elsewhere?). Win 7 does not support the latest CPUs (my guess is Win 8 will soon go the same way), so really akward if you have a hardware failure, even without DRM issues with your old recorded content.
Sorry but WMC has no future. :cry:
HEVC/h265 works fine in WMC with the right codec and video card (that has a chipset for HEVC) but, if your talking broadcast, there are limits. I know there used to be a way to switch the live tv codec, and if you use one that supports HEVC you might be able to "work-around-it"

Even with the NEW CPUs there they are working in 7 and 8.1 with a 3rd party addon with full performance. Might take a little work to get them working but, as of today, they do work.

Here in the US, no one is using HEVC for broadcast, some are using h264, there is a work around on the PC itself but, extenders are a different story.

Althought your right, it's got a limited future but, it's far from dead...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:09 am

DavidinCT wrote: HEVC/h265 works fine in WMC with the right codec and video card (that has a chipset for HEVC) but, if your talking broadcast, there are limits. I know there used to be a way to switch the live tv codec, and if you use one that supports HEVC you might be able to "work-around-it"
There seemed to be quite a lot of effort going into that on the German forum but up untill it went offline, no success. Regarding the video card initially I used an old one without HEVC support for viewing the new live OTA here in Germany via Media Portal (LAV codecs) it worked fine except the CPU usage jumped up to 40%+, after I got a newer card with HEVC (AMD RX 460) it dropped back to the typical 5-10% level with the GPU now now doing most of the work.
DavidinCT wrote:Althought your right, it's got a limited future but, it's far from dead...
Aggreed, :? I have been fortunate to be able to switch to Media Portal but if you need DRM I guess WMC is still the only game in town.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:27 pm

joecrow wrote: There seemed to be quite a lot of effort going into that on the German forum but up untill it went offline, no success. Regarding the video card initially I used an old one without HEVC support for viewing the new live OTA here in Germany via Media Portal (LAV codecs) it worked fine except the CPU usage jumped up to 40%+, after I got a newer card with HEVC (AMD RX 460) it dropped back to the typical 5-10% level with the GPU now now doing most of the work.

Yea, I tried a very HIGH BIT RATE HEVC 4K movie (2 hour movie 126gb)with a GTX750 with 2 year old hardware (i5 quad core, 16gb ddr3 ram), it was a slide show even audio was choppy. Went on ebay picked up a $90 GTX1050 ti (entry level Nvidia 1000 series with HEVC decoding), and that 4k movie was PERFECT, not even a single sudder.

And sold my 750 for $82... :)

So yea, I have been there. It's interesting that contries are using HEVC for broadcast, I think it's pretty cool, If it all the hardware is there, it's a great codec, 1/2 the size videos over h264...and that is impresive alone.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:52 am

DavidinCT wrote: Yea, I tried a very HIGH BIT RATE HEVC 4K movie (2 hour movie 126gb)with a GTX750 with 2 year old hardware (i5 quad core, 16gb ddr3 ram), it was a slide show even audio was choppy. Went on ebay picked up a $90 GTX1050 ti (entry level Nvidia 1000 series with HEVC decoding), and that 4k movie was PERFECT, not even a single sudder.

And sold my 750 for $82... :)

So yea, I have been there. It's interesting that contries are using HEVC for broadcast, I think it's pretty cool, If it all the hardware is there, it's a great codec, 1/2 the size videos over h264...and that is impresive alone.
Bit off topic but I also bought an Nvidia GTX 1050Ti (cost a bit more than yours though) as I almost gave up on the RX 460 which had a bunch of real teething problems. The GTX 10Ti is a nice card, not much difference in price to the RX 460 but more powerfull I think, the only problem I had with it was 3D, although I was eventually able to get 3D working with MKV rips (internal Media Portal and Madvr), it never worked with the original disks and Cyberlink PowerDVD15. There seems to be a long history of Nvidia and PowerDVD not playing together with 3D wheras AMD works out of the box. Most recently the latest RX 460 drivers are now working well and I reinstalled it in my HTPC where its doing a good job and the GTX 1050Ti is earning its keep in my Desktop PC. I've been thinking about upgrading to an RX 470/570 but it seems they are a favourite for crypto currency minning and the prices and delivery are just silly at present.
The HEVC broadcast TV is very nice full 1920x1080 HD although you need a good antenna, my old active indoor one would only work when it was hung out of the window, so I had to buy an outdoor one.