4k Live TV possible?

Tehax

HTPC Specs: Show details

4k Live TV possible?

Post by Tehax » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:08 pm

Today i received my new AMD RX 460 card but when i try to watch 4k Live tv such as UHD1 on Sat 19.2. I only get message "Digital Radio Station" on blue background but audio signal works.
Shark codecs with lav filter don't help. Is there a solution?
Without 4k live tv support wmc will come to an end for me :(
Thanks

STC

Post by STC » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:11 pm

Unfortunately not. It ws never designed for such a thing. Even broadcast HD 720p and 1080i only just snucked in before development stopped.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:20 am

4k is probably really the end of wmc, but 4k probably wont become mainstream for another 2 years, until then no better solution based on cost and functionality

Space

Post by Space » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:26 am

Do you really think 4k will become mainstream? I don't know, maybe. But I don't think people are going to want to upgrade their TVs every few years like some people do PCs. But maybe they will, who knows... Next will be 8k or whatever is the next big thing, and on and on, people will just get fed up with it.

The last TV standard lasted 65 years, so it would be a bit of a culture shock to have to upgrade your TV every few years...

Tehax

Post by Tehax » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:52 am

For now i am interested in watching 4k sports events on coming Sky Germamy satelite this fall. I don't like to use two differnet media center programs where one can show 4k tv content and the other can not and i think it is time to say good bye WMC :wave:

lachape_one

Post by lachape_one » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:53 pm

from my perspective, this issue is not due to windows media center, which is actually able to read videos in UHD format, see the restult of the test i made in my blog, test made with my philips 4k tv, where its ok

i think instead that it's a problem of hdcp protection, you can try using hdmi splitter 4k compatible in Amazon

STC

Post by STC » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:06 pm

I think your next hurdle would be a 4k tuner + drivers for WMC and audio format.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:31 pm

STC wrote:I think your next hurdle would be a 4k tuner + drivers for WMC and audio format.
BUt, in the long run, WMC only supports Tuners that do 720p and 1080i... There was not even a 4k standard when WMC was dropped (we are going back 5+ years now). Windows Media Center CAN run at 4K but, getting 4K broadcasts are a different story. I guess if some creative programmer could write some type of plugin to access the tuner/guide... Maybe but, with no more WMC from Microsoft, the newest Windows does not offer it as an option, and even Microsoft is dropping guide support (4-5 days with out guide data, I would say that is dropping)... I don't think a 3rd party would make a plugin for a system that very limited people have access to and for them to sell their product, it would go to a Apple TV before it would go to Media Center.

As for a standard... Not sure in the US anything is going to change any time soon. The FCC might give a OPTIONAL type thing but, that just screws everyone up, as everyone picks their own formant and doing any type of tuner will be a mess for a long time.

If your talking US supporting 4K broadcasts, 5-10 years...Maybe..(I work in broadcast and see the internal documents, long time away)

Not that I am trying to bash WMC... I still love it but, the facts ARE the facts here....
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012