BSOD when adding 360 extender

kd6icz

HTPC Specs: Show details

BSOD when adding 360 extender

Post by kd6icz » Sat May 21, 2016 9:16 pm

Any idea what might cause the last step "Connecting to extender" to crash the OS to a blue screen? After this happens I can't do anything with adding extenders.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

STC

Post by STC » Sat May 21, 2016 10:06 pm

A wild stab would be nic driver
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Sat May 21, 2016 10:26 pm

STC wrote:A wild stab would be nic driver
Yeah.... This is a brand new Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F server motherboard and it has four Intel 210 Ethernet ports. I have them in LAG. I'm thinking it might have something to do with that.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Sat May 21, 2016 10:39 pm

I'll try pairing them with just one NIC. The problem is I have to reinstall Windows every time this happens since it corrupts WMC beyond repair.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Sun May 22, 2016 12:37 am

Link Aggregation was the problem. I disabled it and used just a single NIC and it synced right up.

Just for testing I enabled LAG after successfully pairing the extenders and attempted to watch live TV. Sure enough it played for a few seconds and froze. Shortly after the PC got the BSOD and rebooted. I'm sure changing a setting in the Intel driver would fix it but I'll leave that for another day.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Tue May 24, 2016 3:21 pm

So.... Flow control seems to be an issue with the 360's. This doesn't really make sense to me because why would WMC send more data than a extender can handle?

STC

Post by STC » Tue May 24, 2016 5:23 pm

What size packets are you playing with? Jumbo frames are not required end to end. Vanilla 100/1000Mbit is all that's required.

/edit: Jumbo frames and flow control usually don't play well together. Neither are required for extender use.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Tue May 24, 2016 6:46 pm

I currently have jumbo frames disabled and flow control is defaulted to enabled from Intel. I want to re-establish my link aggregation (or as Intel calls it "teaming") to my switch. Everything is fine with it except for the 360's. So.... That's the challenge. Maybe I should try disabling flow control? Its the computer that's not happy. Video flows for 8 to 10 seconds then a BSOD.

STC

Post by STC » Tue May 24, 2016 6:58 pm

In that case probably still very driver related

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu May 26, 2016 1:06 am

STC wrote:In that case probably still very driver related
Agree 99.9%, Nic driver. I have seen this before. To the OP, go to the device manager, find the nic, right click, go to properties, select roll back driver. Try again.

Instead of rebuilding, find the WMC DB (Programdata\Microsoft\ehome), right click on it, check for previous versions, If you have one listed, go back a day or 2, and restore it (you will have to STOP all WMC services before doing this). This normally fixes issues like that. If you still have problems, Delete the whole Ehome folder and run WMC setup again.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Thu May 26, 2016 2:10 am

Yeah... More issues since this issue. All driver related I think.

Now my SATA RAID driver is crashing. I started to copy all my data back to the new RAID from my backup drive and 4 seconds in the copy speed went from 120Mbps to 10Mbps and then a BSOD.

Now the engineer of the motherboard wants me to reinstall Windows and wants me to load the RAID driver at the initial Custom Installation screen. So That's what I'm doing. Then I have to wait 4 days for the array to initialize. I'll know more this Sunday.

This is the absolute last time I buy a Supermicro motherboard. They're always trouble!

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu May 26, 2016 12:26 pm

kd6icz wrote:Yeah... More issues since this issue. All driver related I think.

Now my SATA RAID driver is crashing. I started to copy all my data back to the new RAID from my backup drive and 4 seconds in the copy speed went from 120Mbps to 10Mbps and then a BSOD.

Now the engineer of the motherboard wants me to reinstall Windows and wants me to load the RAID driver at the initial Custom Installation screen. So That's what I'm doing. Then I have to wait 4 days for the array to initialize. I'll know more this Sunday.

This is the absolute last time I buy a Supermicro motherboard. They're always trouble!

Once you get it installed and your basic config all set, BACK IT UP. So if all else fails, it's a quick restore instead of re-installing and waiting for 1.7 billion updates...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Thu May 26, 2016 3:04 pm

DavidinCT wrote:

Once you get it installed and your basic config all set, BACK IT UP. So if all else fails, it's a quick restore instead of re-installing and waiting for 1.7 billion updates...
Good idea! What's really killing me is the 3 to 4 days it takes to initialize the RAID. I've ordered a LSI SAS card because I don't trust the Intel PCH "FakeRAID".

I'm afraid Microsoft is going to shut my OEM COA down because I've activated so many times in the past week.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu May 26, 2016 6:03 pm

kd6icz wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:

Good idea! What's really killing me is the 3 to 4 days it takes to initialize the RAID. I've ordered a LSI SAS card because I don't trust the Intel PCH "FakeRAID".

I'm afraid Microsoft is going to shut my OEM COA down because I've activated so many times in the past week.

Well you will just have to call if it gives you an error, they now send you a text message, then on your phone you enter the codes.... A LOT easier than typing the numbers/letters one by one...

Good Luck !

Keep a backup as a clean system and capture another once your fully up and running...I do weekly but, only keep 2 weeks at a time..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:05 am

OK. I've got the BSOD issue resolved. Well... Sort of. I just stopped using LAG.

Anyway, after going back and fourth with Supermicro I have given up on using the RAID5 stack for WMC DVR. It will only be used for PLEX storage. I picked up two WD Black 4TB drives and put them in RAID0 for the DVR. Now it has plenty of throughput.

So the new issue is after about 20 or 30 minutes all tuners are dumped, I get a brief flash "Tuner Conflict" error and then the live channel I was watching restores. But if anything was recording it is stopped.