HDMI CEC Issues

jwaltrip

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDMI CEC Issues

Post by jwaltrip » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:17 pm

Have Insignia TV, and Sony AV receiver.

When I turn on HDMI CEC on both devices... I can turn on the TV and it will power up the AV receiver.

Issue: I have my HTPC on the "Game" HDMI port... When the sequence powers up the AV receiver, it comes up on the GAME input, but then switches to TV. Any thoughts on how to get it to pin to GAME?

hvinc

Post by hvinc » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:37 am

I've never used CEC, I've always used Harmony remotes.

This won't be what you want to hear, but according the guys at the AV Rant podcast, CEC is a crock. It's a poorly implemented standard that rarely works well, and often interferes with other HDMI functions. In fact, the title of the podcast they just released tonight is "HDMI CEC is Evil"

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:50 pm

I hit exactly the same issue with my LG TV and Yamaha soundbar. Hit the power button and both switch on and initially have the correct source selected, but then the source switches (incorrectly) to TV.

I also have a Harmony remote and so wasn't so bothered about CEC but I did want to make use of the audio return channel feature. Turns out that you need CEC enabled in order to use the ARC.

I spoke to LG and they blamed Yamaha for not correctly interpreting the commands. I spoke to Yamaha and they said the TV is telling the soundbar to switch and so it does. I asked them to implement an "ignore source switching commands" option but they said this was not possible. Great.

With the Harmony I can of course programme the remote to wait for a huge period and then switch the input back again. But this is really nasty and not robust as you have to keep pointing the remote for the full sequence. Had I known CEC / ARC didn't work as advertised I would have run optical audio between the two.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1