What to replace Media Center with

Beerman

HTPC Specs: Show details

What to replace Media Center with

Post by Beerman » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:59 pm

Let's suppose I want to upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes out and let's suppose I really enjoy my cable card tuner and all that if offers me. Then, let's suppose the rumors are true and there will be no WMC in W10. What options do cable card users have?
I would like to think Microsoft will allow WMC to be open source but let's be real.......can any of you see that happening?
So, anyone else think far enough in the future to plan on what to do if Windows 7 & 8 get tiring and you want to go to 10? I confess, I've not searched nor kept up with this community so I may have missed completely what's already out there.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:21 pm

I like to think that there will be a solution after Windows 7 runs its course. I don't see a viable option at the moment but there are a few things to keep you eye on. Silicondust seems to be getting more aggressive at the software end. I could easily see moving from an on-screen graphic interface to launching content from several/many apps. SageTV has been recently resrrected so there's another one to watch. You could do what a few others have done and go the Tivo route if you feel DVR plus whatever streaming they offer has value.

Personally, MC hasn't grown so long in the tooth as others proclaim, in my opinion. A lot of folks demand streaming and conclude that MC is behind the times due to the lack there of.

Short answer is that there currently is no replacement. Upgrading to 8 or 10 is not the best idea for a HTPC.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:59 pm

For copy-protected channels WMC is the only option at this time. You can use Kodi (XBMC) if you have unprotected channels. There are plenty of instructional videos on YouTube about using Kodi (XBMC) with the HDHomeRun.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:05 pm

Thanks for the ideas and I am aware of these options. I actually have InfiniTV which is working perfectly well.
I'll keep my eyes and ears open for options.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:09 pm

Beerman wrote:Let's suppose I want to upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes out and let's suppose I really enjoy my cable card tuner and all that if offers me. Then, let's suppose the rumors are true and there will be no WMC in W10. What options do cable card users have?
Build a standalone Windows 7 WMC DVR.

I mean, seriously. It's not hard.

I get what you're trying to do. You're trying to make one computer solve all problems, including solving the problem of "I wanna move to Win10".

Just say no. Build a Win7 DVR. Use it. Enjoy it. And enjoy your completely separate Win10 interactive personal computer.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:05 pm

Maybe WMC is coming with Windows 10 ? ???

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows- ... 5967.shtml

Still even if it comes, it will be the same version that comes in Windows 7 (Win 7 version is better than the Win 8 version, it's stripped down a little does not support some exenders and does not come with auto start and always on top)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:44 pm

There is a new Kodi / XBMC Add-On coming out for use with the HDHRP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF80LjvwDxc

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:31 pm

Beerman wrote: I would like to think Microsoft will allow WMC to be open source but let's be real.......can any of you see that happening?
No. The second it goes open source, you can say good bye to the CableLabs certification, which will render it useless for the copyright protected content.

If you have no copyright protected cable, then there are a ton of alternatives already.

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:02 am

Rainey wrote:There is a new Kodi / XBMC Add-On coming out for use with the HDHRP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF80LjvwDxc
It was released.
https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewt ... 87&t=18949

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:53 am

Hopefully the right parties act on Maize1951's suggestion here, and Ceton or SiliconDust buys the rights to WMC from Microsoft:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 07?page=13

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:47 am

blueiedgod wrote:
Beerman wrote: I would like to think Microsoft will allow WMC to be open source but let's be real.......can any of you see that happening?
No. The second it goes open source, you can say good bye to the CableLabs certification, which will render it useless for the copyright protected content.

If you have no copyright protected cable, then there are a ton of alternatives already.
What are those?

Unfortunately, my infrastructure is filled with WMC extenders. And in one case, the XBox is connected to a 30 year old TV via a composite to RF converter, so...

jec6613

Post by jec6613 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:28 pm

adam1991 wrote:
Beerman wrote:Let's suppose I want to upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes out and let's suppose I really enjoy my cable card tuner and all that if offers me. Then, let's suppose the rumors are true and there will be no WMC in W10. What options do cable card users have?
Build a standalone Windows 7 WMC DVR.

I mean, seriously. It's not hard.

I get what you're trying to do. You're trying to make one computer solve all problems, including solving the problem of "I wanna move to Win10".

Just say no. Build a Win7 DVR. Use it. Enjoy it. And enjoy your completely separate Win10 interactive personal computer.
I use a Windows 8.1 standalone system (more features for me and more responsive) ... support until 2023. Windows 7 has support until 2020. I do suggest you pick up your Windows 10 upgrade key for free when it comes along, but you can just sit on it if you want. I did with the $40 upgrade to Windows 8, and only installed it 4 months ago.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:09 pm

adam1991 wrote:
blueiedgod wrote:

What are those?

Unfortunately, my infrastructure is filled with WMC extenders. And in one case, the XBox is connected to a 30 year old TV via a composite to RF converter, so...

First one comes to mind XBMC/Kodi in server/extender mode, MythTV, SageTV, LinuxMCE, NextPVR, MediaPortal, VDR, ect...

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:21 pm

blueiedgod... all tv is copyright protected I think you mean copy protected, drm protected or just (plain) protected.

MoDementia

Post by MoDementia » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:12 am

Hi,

I love WMC, really I do, but, sorry but this forum seems to have its head-in-the-sand in regards to what's actually happening.

If the only solutions people are pinning their hopes on is having an old Media Centre PC sitting somewhere just to continue recording with WMC then...

The biggest problem with this is the almost, soon to be, non exsistent software able to play the .wtv format.

I am currently trying to get myself weened off WMC but the biggest hurdle is the format itself.

Windows 8,1 Apps don't even have the capability of direct playing wtv files
Everything I have tried so far either won't play/reconise them at all or is forced to transcode it into something more "modern"

Surely the members here could mount some campaign to help get WMC and the format into a more future proof position?

1. Ask the Windows Media Foundation to include wtv in it's codec list. (Used by Windows 8.1 Apps)
2. Ask Microsoft to supply another converter like they did for dvr-ms to wtv. something like wtv to mpg4 .m4v with all metadata intact (at least if it wasn't protected) this seems to be Microsofts preference at least for XBox One
3. Ask Mircrosoft to allow WMC to save to another modern format, again (at least if it wasn't protected) or something that allowed DRM protetion within it

I have a fairly large library which I can't really enjoy fully just using WMC

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:43 am

MoDementia wrote:Hi,

I love WMC, really I do, but, sorry but this forum seems to have its head-in-the-sand in regards to what's actually happening.

If the only solutions people are pinning their hopes on is having an old Media Centre PC sitting somewhere just to continue recording with WMC then...

The biggest problem with this is the almost, soon to be, non exsistent software able to play the .wtv format.

I am currently trying to get myself weened off WMC but the biggest hurdle is the format itself.

Windows 8,1 Apps don't even have the capability of direct playing wtv files
Everything I have tried so far either won't play/reconise them at all or is forced to transcode it into something more "modern"

Surely the members here could mount some campaign to help get WMC and the format into a more future proof position?

1. Ask the Windows Media Foundation to include wtv in it's codec list. (Used by Windows 8.1 Apps)
2. Ask Microsoft to supply another converter like they did for dvr-ms to wtv. something like wtv to mpg4 .m4v with all metadata intact (at least if it wasn't protected) this seems to be Microsofts preference at least for XBox One
3. Ask Mircrosoft to allow WMC to save to another modern format, again (at least if it wasn't protected) or something that allowed DRM protetion within it

I have a fairly large library which I can't really enjoy fully just using WMC
Windows Media Player in Windows 8.1 easily plays .WTV files.
There are plenty of options for converting .wtv to .MP4 ect. a few are: MCEbuddy, Handbrake, MC-TVConverter, VideoRedo, & Kingsley Video Converter.
We don't have our heads in the sand but converting from .wtv to another more "playable" format isn't high on the priority list as there plenty of options to do so as I mentioned above. Microsoft has chosen to barely maintain support for Windows Media Center, and may or may not have it in Windows 10, which is the more pressing issue.

MoDementia

Post by MoDementia » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:19 am

MCEBuddy: Paid for early access, uninstalled after taking the length of the program to convert it. i.e. 1/2 hour show = 1/2 hour conversion.
Handbrake: Impresssive speed. Created my own preset very happy, turns out you can't use user profiles with CLI. Built in presets aren't what I'm after.
Trying MC-TVConverter atm looks to be a bit pretty slow but faster than MCRBuddy. Not sure what the output will be like Not sure what MP4 HQ actually translates to. Update 1: First File has failed to convert finished the .ts stage but failed to finish the MP4
Video Redo: I have been using this for years to edit ads out (save back as WTV) but not until now tried converting it to anything else. Fast enough but still strggling to get a profile I'm happy with i.e. close to original quality, Metadata is not transferred 100% or at all, multiple audio tracks, no built in folder monitor.
I don't think I have ever used Window Media Player but have seeen no evidence that any library management application makes use of it e.g. Plex. Update 1: No skip forward backward buttons, slider difficult to be accurate

Hanbrake Profile

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist>
  <array>
    <dict>
      <key>AudioList</key>
      <array>
        <dict>
          <key>AudioBitrate</key>
          <string>160</string>
          <key>AudioEncoder</key>
          <string>Auto Passthru</string>
          <key>AudioMixdown</key>
          <string>Dolby Pro Logic II</string>
          <key>AudioSamplerate</key>
          <string>Auto</string>
          <key>AudioTrack</key>
          <integer>1</integer>
          <key>AudioTrackDRCSlider</key>
          <real>0</real>
          <key>AudioTrackDescription</key>
          <string>Unknown</string>
          <key>AudioTrackGainSlider</key>
          <real>0</real>
        </dict>
        <dict>
          <key>AudioBitrate</key>
          <string>320</string>
          <key>AudioEncoder</key>
          <string>AAC (avcodec)</string>
          <key>AudioMixdown</key>
          <string>Automatic</string>
          <key>AudioSamplerate</key>
          <string>48</string>
          <key>AudioTrack</key>
          <integer>1</integer>
          <key>AudioTrackDRCSlider</key>
          <real>0</real>
          <key>AudioTrackDescription</key>
          <string>Unknown</string>
          <key>AudioTrackGainSlider</key>
          <real>0</real>
        </dict>
      </array>
      <key>AudioAllowAACPass</key>
      <true />
      <key>AudioAllowAC3Pass</key>
      <true />
      <key>AudioAllowDTSHDPass</key>
      <true />
      <key>AudioAllowDTSPass</key>
      <true />
      <key>AudioAllowMP3Pass</key>
      <true />
      <key>AudioEncoderFallback</key>
      <string>AC3</string>
      <key>ChapterMarkers</key>
      <false />
      <key>Default</key>
      <integer>0</integer>
      <key>FileFormat</key>
      <string>MP4 file</string>
      <key>Folder</key>
      <false />
      <key>Mp4HttpOptimize</key>
      <integer>0</integer>
      <key>Mp4iPodCompatible</key>
      <integer>0</integer>
      <key>PictureAutoCrop</key>
      <integer>1</integer>
      <key>PictureDeblock</key>
      <integer>4</integer>
      <key>PictureDecombDeinterlace</key>
      <false />
      <key>PictureDecombCustom</key>
      <string />
      <key>PictureDecomb</key>
      <integer>0</integer>
      <key>PictureDeinterlaceCustom</key>
      <string />
      <key>PictureDeinterlace</key>
      <integer>0</integer>
      <key>PictureDenoiseFilter</key>
      <string>off</string>
      <key>PictureDenoiseCustom</key>
      <string />
      <key>PictureDenoisePreset</key>
      <string>weak</string>
      <key>PictureDetelecine</key>
      <integer>0</integer>
      <key>PictureDetelecineCustom</key>
      <string />
      <key>PictureHeight</key>
      <integer>0</integer>
      <key>PictureKeepRatio</key>
      <integer>0</integer>
      <key>PictureModulus</key>
      <integer>2</integer>
      <key>PicturePAR</key>
      <integer>1</integer>
      <key>PictureLeftCrop</key>
      <integer>8</integer>
      <key>PictureRightCrop</key>
      <integer>0</integer>
      <key>PictureTopCrop</key>
      <integer>0</integer>
      <key>PictureBottomCrop</key>
      <integer>0</integer>
      <key>PictureWidth</key>
      <integer>0</integer>
      <key>PresetBuildNumber</key>
      <string>2015030800</string>
      <key>PresetDescription</key>
      <string>No Description</string>
      <key>PresetName</key>
      <string>VRD Wanted</string>
      <key>Type</key>
      <integer>1</integer>
      <key>UsesMaxPictureSettings</key>
      <integer>1</integer>
      <key>UsesPictureFilters</key>
      <integer>1</integer>
      <key>UsesPictureSettings</key>
      <integer>1</integer>
      <key>VideoAvgBitrate</key>
      <string />
      <key>VideoEncoder</key>
      <string>MPEG-4</string>
      <key>VideoFramerate</key>
      <string>Same as source</string>
      <key>VideoFramerateMode</key>
      <string>vfr</string>
      <key>VideoGrayScale</key>
      <false />
      <key>VideoQualitySlider</key>
      <real>3</real>
      <key>h264Level</key>
      <string>Auto</string>
      <key>x264OptionExtra</key>
      <string />
      <key>x264Preset</key>
      <string>medium</string>
      <key>h264Profile</key>
      <string>none</string>
      <key>x264Tune</key>
      <string>none</string>
      <key>x264UseAdvancedOptions</key>
      <integer>0</integer>
      <key>h265Profile</key>
      <string>none</string>
      <key>x265Preset</key>
      <string>veryfast</string>
      <key>x265Tune</key>
      <string>none</string>
      <key>VideoQualityType</key>
      <integer>2</integer>
      <key>VideoTargetSize</key>
      <string />
      <key>VideoTurboTwoPass</key>
      <integer>0</integer>
      <key>VideoTwoPass</key>
      <integer>0</integer>
      <key>x264Option</key>
      <string />
    </dict>
  </array>
</plist>

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:57 am

.wtv is simply a container (not a codec... usually contains mpeg2 video and ac3 audio which is how tv is usually delivered) and nearly everything handles it just fine... your issue is probably that of not having the mpeg2 codec in 8 or on your other devices (yes we are leaving that but currently 99% of TV in the US not counting satellite as well as dvd's use it so it will be around for quite awhile) and that is quite easily added. The biggest issue for most in keeping wmc would be guide data but even that is easily obtainable. If your content isn't protected, other options are out there but for those of us with providers that protect all, wmc is the only solution that can record(others are view live only or tivo). If I have to keep a machine going 50 years to do so, I would, but I do expect there to be other solutions out well before then (as well as changes in media/content delivery) and though in 50 years maybe everyone will use on-demand streaming, I don't see the traditional TV model of having schedules going completely out any time soon (maybe not many will view traditionally, as who here really does, but without "limited" channels/timeslots, there would be too many to have any programs that are successful enough to pay for them unless our streaming rates ($$$) go through the roof much like cable rates have.

Your idea of yet another wtv to mpg4 converter is crazy as that would require "years" to convert just the unprotected programs in my library and storage is a lot cheaper than that time and energy that would be "wasted". What I consider metadata is already easily accessible by file properties... what would concern me more with conversion is maintaining captions...currently vlc will play a .wtv file but usually without captions unless one creates a caption file.

MoDementia

Post by MoDementia » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:57 pm

Thanks for the replies, the tone here makes alot more sense now. It is heavily skewed towards a US audience.
Guess what, not everyone lives in the US. We didn't by into cable/satilite and some us didn't even take it up when offered.
I only use WMC for OTA FTA so all of the US arguments are null and void for many of us.
An option for a more modern container and or codec is a perfectly suitable solution.
.wtv is simply a container (not a codec... usually contains mpeg2 video and ac3 audio .... your issue is probably that of not having the mpeg2 codec in 8 or on your other devices
Incorrect: The codec is 100% fine and playable, what is no longer supported in modern apps is the wtv container.
If your content isn't protected, other options are out there
I am yet to find 1 option that even comes close to WMC's functionality and ease of use.
yet another wtv to mpg4 converter is crazy as that would require "years" to convert
Hanbrake did an hour show in 2 mins. I'm sure MS could do as good a job if not better with their resources.

So again I ask what is the closest people have got to reproducing WMC without WMC (Non protected content only)

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:38 am

MoDementia wrote:Thanks for the replies, the tone here makes alot more sense now. It is heavily skewed towards a US audience.
Guess what, not everyone lives in the US. We didn't by into cable/satilite and some us didn't even take it up when offered.
I only use WMC for OTA FTA so all of the US arguments are null and void for many of us.
An option for a more modern container and or codec is a perfectly suitable solution.
.wtv is simply a container (not a codec... usually contains mpeg2 video and ac3 audio .... your issue is probably that of not having the mpeg2 codec in 8 or on your other devices
Incorrect: The codec is 100% fine and playable, what is no longer supported in modern apps is the wtv container.
If your content isn't protected, other options are out there
I am yet to find 1 option that even comes close to WMC's functionality and ease of use.
yet another wtv to mpg4 converter is crazy as that would require "years" to convert
Hanbrake did an hour show in 2 mins. I'm sure MS could do as good a job if not better with their resources.

So again I ask what is the closest people have got to reproducing WMC without WMC (Non protected content only)
Again for any OTA/FTA or nonprotected content there are lots of applications that work... JRiver, Sage, Myth, MediaPortal, Kodi, Plex, Openelec can all be used instead of WMC. But for cable card protected tv WMC is still the only thing that works correctly out of the box. And it only works with cable/FiOS. Satellite still has to be kludged together with an HDPVR. There is no "TONE" here as you suggest...only the truth. So what's the point in looking for a WMC replacement if that is the truth? If you are not locked into cablecard protected tv (which sounds like you're not) you have many other options other than WMC.