Programs show as recording in guide, but not in Recorded TV

agreen123

HTPC Specs: Show details

Programs show as recording in guide, but not in Recorded TV

Post by agreen123 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:37 pm

Hey guys; I have a problem that has popped up for me within the last few weeks; I've had a whole bunch of shows scheduled for regular recordings, but they just stopped recording - and whats more odd, when I look at the programs in the channel guide, when they are "live", it says they are recording - but when I go to "Recorded Programs" and scroll through my list, there are no programs recording. So the red "recording" icon only appears in the channel guide, but there is never any recorded content and the shows never record.

Anyone else know what might be causing this or how to fix it?

webminster

Post by webminster » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:58 pm

Sounds like a service crashed or stopped. Have you rebooted lately?
First thing I'd probably look at is Windows Services, particularly the WMC Receiver and WMC Scheduler services, see if they're running and showing as startup type Automatic and log-on-as Local System. Maybe something disturbed them... does anything record?
-Alan

agreen123

Post by agreen123 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:12 am

Checked the WMC Receive and Scheduler services, they seem to be running fine. Can't seem to find anything in the event log - but then again, there's a lot of crap in there. Does anyone know what the Media Center-related sources are in the EventLog so I can search?

The strange clue seems to be that if I reboot the computer, anything in the next hour or so seems to record, but anything beyond that, no dice.

There's plenty of disk space, so I don't think that's it.

Beyond that, is there any way to keep my media if I do a complete reinstall (or move to a new machine?) I didn't know if I could keep all my recorded TV shows if I did move things over...

webminster

Post by webminster » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:12 am

Almost everything WMC related will be under the Event Log Application and Services / Media Center tree... but if the issue isn't specifically WMC related, you may have to look at the Event Viewer main scree (the Summary) and see if you find anything telling logged in the last hour or so.

WRT the question about keeping your media through a complete reinstall, that depends on several factors. If you have your media on a separate disk (not the OS disk), you can probably avoid losing it during the reinstall. Or you can back up and restore the recordings and other media. Note that if you have recordings that are DRM'ed (copy protected, like premium channels), those will not survive a reinstall. Non copy-protected recordings will.

Not so familiar with Win8 to know if you can do a repair reinstall over existing installation to try to fix it. Maybe you need to do a WMC reset.
-Alan

webminster

Post by webminster » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:15 am

One other thought, probably unlikely... did somehow your recording drive (the recorder storage) and the recorded TV library (where WMC is looking for recordings) get out of sync? Or have something installed that is swapping that around?
-Alan

Mountainbreeze

Post by Mountainbreeze » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:40 pm

Something else that may provide a hint as to what is happening: Whenever a recording completes normally, an event is added to "Computer Management/System Tools/Event Viewer/Applications and Services Logs/Media Center" (with an Event ID = 1) similar to the following:

Chicago Fire: The Nuclear Option started recording on 10/21/2014 9:59:01 PM and stopped on 10/21/2014 11:10:01 PM as scheduled.

See if you getting this log entry for your failed recordings.

gbwelly

Post by gbwelly » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:01 am

I had something similar happen.

If you go to Computer Management, and expand "Scheduled Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center" do you get any errors? If so stop the media center services and delete the files matching the error message from "C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center"
Work your way through them all, then restart the media center services. The tasks will then be recreated.

Another possibility is that the PvrScheduleTask task is not running regularly. This is the one the translates a red dot in the guide into an actual recording. First step would be to right click it and run it and see if the recordings then work. I use EPG collector which runs it for me after import so I'm vague on what actually makes it run given mine has no triggers set.