Media Center themer INSIDE Media Center ?

A place for App developers to hang out / post
jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by jachin99 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:55 pm

I think I've found an easier way to do this but I need to go back through this thread performing each step and confirm. Once the .bat has been added to the extras menu via relaunch, open MC reset toolbox and drag the favorites star that is in the same position as your relaunch icon within the extras menu to your new strip called themes or wherever else you would like to put it if that makes sense. I used this method to move netflix from movies onto TV.

john9kover

Post by john9kover » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:03 pm

you can do either one. add bat to relaunch or add it to mc toolbox. mc toolbox makes it easier to add menu for it. relaunch puts it in the extras menu.

however, if you add menu strip I think you can only do like 5 or 7 items (not sure).

edit: never mind, with mc toolbox I was able to add (so far) 15 items on one menu strip.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:51 pm

I guess the end goal that I was looking for is a one icon in WMC, select it and it shows a list of themes with a small screen shot of each. Just like in Media Center Themer Tools (the program i linked in the front page)

This allows you to pull down a menu that has all the names of your themes, if you select a theme, it applys it. and shows a screen shot.

I know WMC needs to be closed to change it. There should be a way when it's opened to index all the XML of theme files,. pull a screenshot from the theme (if available) then in one MCL list them. If you select one, it will prompt you "WMC needs to restart, restart now ?" then just exit WMC and come back to display your theme. This would be nice to edit the source code and put this in the Settings (the hard part)

This was my vision here. I tried to do an icon for each, I found it just to be cluttered up and when I rebuilt, left it out and a new strip just defets the point of having too much in the start menu (already have some other things, including streaming and games)

The end goal was to have a themer app INSIDE Windows Media Center.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

john9kover

Post by john9kover » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:10 am

i agree. I have about 50 or so themes collected over the years and yes adding them to WMC with MCtoolbox does work (cept UAC), with a "Themes" menu strip and it does have an icon image....but scrolling through them is a lot. Yes you can put them in the extras folder with relaunch, but both ways do the same. yes I really think it should be like a "larger menu" with just themes and the details of each theme, screenshot, version info, etc.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:58 pm

john9kover wrote:i agree. I have about 50 or so themes collected over the years and yes adding them to WMC with MCtoolbox does work (cept UAC), with a "Themes" menu strip and it does have an icon image....but scrolling through them is a lot. Yes you can put them in the extras folder with relaunch, but both ways do the same. yes I really think it should be like a "larger menu" with just themes and the details of each theme, screenshot, version info, etc.
I have a TON collected on the MCS days but, a lot of them no longer work (one I loved I had to manually convert, extract all files, create new folders, create a new XML file, etc). The earier themes were a VMCThemepack file, not MCT, those cant be converted. A lot of the MCT files can just be opened or renamed to open

There must be way to index all the XML files in the root of the themes folder (Patchou's themer) as there is just XML files for each theme and sub folders.

I wanted a "theme" app in WMC, just open that application with your remote, scroll through your installed themes and select with remote...then a option comes up, WMC needs to restart to make the change, restart now ?" select yes, WMC closes then re-opens...

This is an image of my favorite theme for WMC..

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=A319BE94 ... ot&o=OneUp
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012