Zwave Alerts on WMC and extenders

CBO

HTPC Specs: Show details

Zwave Alerts on WMC and extenders

Post by CBO » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:02 pm

Has anyone tried getting Zwave alerts displayed on your media center? I'm looking for something that will display an alert if someone is at my front door or if the garage door is left open or if a zwave device battery is low.

webminster

Post by webminster » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:19 pm

Nothing specific to Zwave, I use Insteon stuff here and an ISY-99i myself. Do you use some sort of HA controller that can be programmed to send TCP requests (like HTTP or telnet)?

On my ISY I added the network module, that allows the ISY to send HTTP requests as part of a program triggered on events.. then added the old WMC TCP listener (https://vmccontroller.codeplex.com/) to my WMC. Quirky to get set up, but it does the types of things you describe, e.g. a little popup on the screen when something interesting like a low-battery indication happens.
-Alan

CBO

Post by CBO » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:31 pm

Thanks for the reply! I use a veralite. I will have to look up if that is possible directly our thru a veralite plugin. Does the app you use allow popups on extenders as well?

CBO

Post by CBO » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:35 pm

OK so there has been an update to the plugin you use to communicate to extenders..Great. Can you describe how generate the http request? Maybe I can map that process over to my veralite

webminster

Post by webminster » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:58 am

So it's been a while, looking back at what i did...

I configured my ISY to send a TCP message to port 40500 (which is the default port that the tcp-ip plugin listened on the main PC) with something like:
msgbox "WATER ALERT" "Possible flooding detected in basement" 1000

The msgbox is a command to the plugin to display a message box with the given title and message, and the 1000 is 10 seconds iirc. Look at the plugin docs.

For my version, the ports incremented from 40500 for each extender, like 40501 for the first extender... you'd have to do some trial and error maybe to get it sent to the right one, or if you wanted all of them you'd have to set up multiple connections to send the msgbox to all of them one at a time.
-Alan

STC

Post by STC » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:26 am

Hey another ISY-er! Nice ;)

Just Insteon here also sorry.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

CBO

Post by CBO » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:02 pm

For anyone who stumbles across this post looking to do the same thing check out this link:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/ ... #msg154886

There are some cool code snippets in here for sending alerts to the HTPC and extenders! Even grabbing your ip camera footage from the ip cams internal web page and displaying it PIP when motion sensor is tripped!

Thanks webminster you pointed me in the right direction

webminster

Post by webminster » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:40 pm

Glad I could help a little. Thanks for the page reference as well, was not aware of the MCEcontroller alternative, might be worth a look. Good luck!
-Alan