Energy Monitors any good?

cw-kid

HTPC Specs: Show details

Energy Monitors any good?

Post by cw-kid » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi

I'm looking to switch energy supply companies soon, Eon and EDF offer free energy monitors. EDF ECO Manager and EON Energy Fit

With the EDF one you get 3 applicance plugs and then you can turn on/off those appliances with the Energy Monitor, could be handy to kill the standby on the wall mounted TVs. But the EDF one does not monitor the whole house electric usage unless you buy an upgrade to it.

The EON one monitors the whole house out of the box, but you can't turn devices off with it. But they have got the IR Intelliplugs for TV Power Down instead, could be programmed with a Harmony Remote to kill standby.

Just wondered if anyone has used these Energy Monitors before ?

Thanks.
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:04 pm

Hi,

we've used the one provided by npower, which is similar to the one offered here by eon.

Basically you have a little unit that you clip on to one of the main cables that brings you electricity into your house and this transmits how much is being used currently, and gives you an idea how much it costs. It was useful to a point, as you can walk round with the monitor turning things on and off to see how much they actually use. We lost the novelty, and the things been unplugged since... but at least the wife knows which products eat the electricity now.

I was lucky, signed up for an energy saving scheme for work, basically I save energy by not working... (ok, I wish!), and that gave an IR sensing remote controlled switch, which means that I can use my Harmony to turn it on and off, now if only the wife would learn to point the remote in the right direction, since it seems to have a very narrow beam.

We've just signed up to eon, and a guy is coming out to do a solar survey today, so we're hoping that we can get our garage roof completely covered in panels, and save us about 50%+ on our electricity bill, but guess he'll turn up and say its not suitable, knowing my luck!

Tony

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:38 pm

Yeah I imagine there is a novelty factor with these monitors.

Solar Panels they not still very expensive? I live on the top of a hill and two bungalows below us have solar panels on the roofs. I am not currently an EON customer but they are sending someone round to the house to do a survey for "free" loft and cavity wall insulation which I hope we get as this can be a cold house in Winter.
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle