PlayTo - Whole House

TheOsburnFamil

HTPC Specs: Show details

PlayTo - Whole House

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:02 pm

Hey gang-- I know this is an on-going question; but, figured-- new forum, let's see where we currently stand! :idea:

When we have friends & family over, we like using our MediaCenter as a kind of Muzak system where we fire off a playlist and want it to stream to any room in the house/yard/etc...

The key is that we want all the playbacks to be in-sync (not the boy band). :)

I currently use VLC to do this (Use VLC to stream a playlist then attach via the URL from the player in the room(s). I'm curious how other people are doing it and if there's another way?
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:58 pm

I use Squeezebox Server software installed on the WHS. And software Squeezebox emulators (SqueezeSlave) on my HTPC and on the WHS itself, plus iPeng app (SqueezePlay) on my iPod Touch docked in the bedroom, this gives me 3 audio zones I can play in sync. Ideally I'd like to have hardware squeezebox devices but haven't got there yet.

Or would love a whole house Sonos system, I have installed them for clients before and they are great but out of my current price range.
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:53 pm

My cheapish but good solution is AirPlay over airport express modules which can be picked up for around $60. Unfortunately I ended up having to pick up an airport extreme router since I couldn't get a regular router to work with security better than WEP. I'm happy though.
Greg

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:24 am

Hmm I must look into squeezebox. I use airplay and a couple of airports for our restaurant which is split into two buildings.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:08 am

gpatlanta wrote:My cheapish but good solution is AirPlay over airport express modules which can be picked up for around $60. Unfortunately I ended up having to pick up an airport extreme router since I couldn't get a regular router to work with security better than WEP. I'm happy though.
I've never used an Airport Express. If you have two of them in different rooms
Can you play the same music in those rooms in sync?

Ive seen you can use the Apple Remote app to play music to the Airport Express.

Anyone used Airfoil software? Does that turn a Pc or Mac in to a device that you can Air Play to?

Thanks
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:19 am

I haven't heard of airfoil but have to look into that. Yes it allows you to synch multiple devices at once. It is very nice because you can Multi-select any of the devices. It also works to control a pc with iTunes on it I think if airfoil doesn't work. Also there is a new beta AirPlay app for Media Center I haven't tried yet.
Greg