Anyone with Insteon experience?

SpotiBox

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by SpotiBox » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:23 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum and to home automation but I have been doing a lot of reading on what others are doing and I'm liking the ideas. I have a few questions on integrating my IP Security Cameras with my Home Automation Network. What my goal is to have my front porch camera display on my TV when someone rings the doorbell. I have a Linksys/Cisco IP Camera and about 33 insteon devices including the Insteon Hub, the USB Powerlinc Modem, and the Insteon doorbell kit. All devices are installed and linked. I was reading that the open source program Eventghost integrates with the Insteon Hub and/or Powerlinc Modem and with XBMC. I was wondering if anybody ever got this to work successfully, and if so how did they go about doing it? My first task is to get EventGhost to recognize my Hub and/or Modem. Does anybody have detailed instructions on setting up EventGhost to see my Insteon Network and perform an action when the doorbell is press (or the hub or modem sends a command)? Secondly, how to send a command to XBMC to display my camera feed onto the TV. If anyone can help me get started it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Madcodger

Post by Madcodger » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:31 am

I don't want to send you immediately to another forum, but if folks here can't help I think there are several individuals on the Cocoontech site and possibly the Universal Devices ISY forum who can help. That's where I heard about TGB. I have years of working with Insteon (2nd house now using it) but not for IP cam coordination. Some users there frequent here as well.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:19 pm

The Insteon Hub does not work with Event Ghost. The old Insteon Central Controller (2412N) does, but it has been discontinued.

Search here for information about displaying your cameras in Media Center. The topic just came up a couple of weeks ago, and I posted a link to a site with instructions on how to do it.

nathagt

Post by nathagt » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:09 am

I have been experimenting with Event Ghost and my Insteon Hub over the past few days. What you are describing, getting EG to receive some event from insteon, is beyond me and may very well be impossible like barnabas said.

I have had success in going the opposite direction though. For example, I press a button on my remote, EG picks it up and fires off a command through insteon that activates a lighting scene in my living room. From my reading I do know there is a way to get device status via http protocol but getting event ghost to have that information would still require it to request it. You might post on Smarthome forum. That's where I received some help on advanced commands.

http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13762

STC

Post by STC » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:39 am

Can the hub talk X10? If so consider using the X10 protocol for specific actions/events.
EG can communicate X10 bidirectionally through an old serial CM11A. You would use the power lines to communicate X10 between EG and the hub instead of IP. Basic but functional. I used a similar setup when I ran Homeseer and still do now for legacy things with my ISY.

An example: A1ON sent from EG triggered by a certain remote code or MC action could tell the hub to run a scene to dim lights in theater for movie etc etc.
Similarly an action or event from the hub could trigger an action or event on EG via an X10 code.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123