App Similar to Remote Potato?

Experiences and questions about WMC on your iPhone, Droid, WP7, and more.
jahblessed

HTPC Specs: Show details

App Similar to Remote Potato?

Post by jahblessed » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:48 am

hello all,

i am new to this and i for a long time i was using Remote Potato for the fact it had a webbrowser interface and apps available for android and iOS, but the dev has stopped . i was looking for an app similar to it but also allows me to create individual user accounts (very important part as i plan to only give access to certain folders to certain people). this was a feature that was going to be added eventually but never came to light. i dont care much for Live TV, only streaming the video is have stored on my pc as i had purchased the app for iOS. if someone can direct me to something that can do what i seek, i would be thankful. my pc's configuration is as follows, which im sure will be more than enough...:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4
CPU : Intel Core i7-4820k @ 3.70GHz
Memory : 16GB (4x4gb) DDR3 1333 (Plan to upgrade to 32GB soon)
Main HDD : Seagate 1TB Hybrid Drive (ST1000DX001-1CM1) (Eventually SSD)
Graphics : 2xNvidia Quadro FX 3500 in SLi setup (will be upgraded soon to newer cards)

i would like to remain with windows 7 for i have a ton of apps already installed and havent purchased windows 8 yet but if it is necessary to accomplish my goal then i shall do so. thank you in advance

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:00 pm

An alternative app is Plex - but it only supports playback of non-encrypted videos - and doesn't have the guide or set recording features. Remote Potato provides almost full access to Media Center features, including the ability to watch live TV (with the right server, though I haven't been able to get that working reliably).

You run the Plex server on a system that has access to the Media Center folders. You can then access Plex through a browser or app interface. I use the Plex Android app. The version I have supports Chromecast - with my PC running the Plex server, my Android phone running the Plex app to select the video and control playback, and a Chromecast connected to an HDMI port on the TV to do the streaming from the PC (using the Plex server).

jahblessed

Post by jahblessed » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:02 pm

by non-encrypted videos i assume you mean live tv? also does it allow for creation of separate accounts?

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:17 pm

I use mediabrowser 3. I use android but they have an IOS app. App doesn't have live tv yet, but you can access it via a browser currently. Once you have the server and library setup you can stream anything that isn't drm. Chromecast support is coming to IOS, already available on android. May want to look into it. Everything is free except the app.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:35 pm

+1. Mediabrowser3 also supports user accounts.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:36 pm

I'll echo the above...But, just to correct things a bit...RemotePotato is now "open source" (and GPL'd), so anyone is able to take either the original version (without live TV transcoding) or the version used to power the Android RMC (with live TV in the paid version). The code is pretty straight forward, and it does have the ability to turn on password control.

Yes, that does mean that there is only ONE setup for any given server, so it probably doesn't qualify as to what you want.

If all you want is some basic control over what is presented by the web interface to the clients, then I would also say MB3 is the way to go. *IF* you need to hook it into a WMC setup, there is a plugin, but it sounds like that's not even necessary if all you want is to access media files that you have created/obtained, and that are not DRM'd to a given WMC environment.

Note: MB3 is still relatively young, and rapidly evolving...but holds promise...

jahblessed

Post by jahblessed » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:02 pm

THANK YOU GUYS!!! this programs has all that i need... ive only encountered one problem though and it seems to happen with my TV show recordings.. It will list the TV show folder (ROOT) and in the subfolders (prior to entering) it will display that there are XX episodes/files within it (MY STRUCTURE IS /TV/TVSHOW/SEASONxx/EPISODExx.avi/mkv/etc) in a green circle but when i go within the subfolder nothing is displayed... maybe its a setting i have not enabled or need to disable, i just cant seem to figure it out. thanks

duncane

Post by duncane » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi jahblessed, head over to the forums below and someone (maybe me!) will help you out. A few screen shots of what you are looking at and folders will help when you post there.

http://mediabrowser3.com/community/

Cheers

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:56 pm

I too am looking to replace Remote Potato. I am having issues with RP lately and I'm considering an alternative.

My main and perhaps only use is to watch recorded TV. This is for my son who watches recorded TV locally on a Microsoft Surface. I'm familiar with Plex but the lack of metadata/details makes it more of a workaround than a solution. I have never messed with MediaBrowser3 but it's looking like that might be the right direction to head. Can I simply install a MB3 server, point to my folders, purchase an app, and be on my way? I'm really only concerned about installing MB3 and having my MC molested with interface features and metadata features that I have no interest in.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:19 pm

Well, MB3 *WILL* "mess with" the folders by adding in more meta data, but it is pretty much invisible to WMC, so I wouldn't worry about it. So basically - YES, you can install MB3 on the same box (or point it at the folders you want to export. Even a module to allow "liveTV" (and insterface to recording, etc.)

Good Luck

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:36 pm

sbaeder wrote:Well, MB3 *WILL* "mess with" the folders by adding in more meta data, but it is pretty much invisible to WMC, so I wouldn't worry about it. So basically - YES, you can install MB3 on the same box (or point it at the folders you want to export. Even a module to allow "liveTV" (and insterface to recording, etc.)

Good Luck
What features/entry points is this going to insert into MC. I can easily edit them out but I'm looking/hoping for the least intrusive solution.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:59 am

So basically MB is similar to Plex in that it's pretty useless for Recorded TV due to lack of metadata. Remote Potato still has its advanatges.