Win Phone 7 - Meteor Remote Control for 7MC out

Experiences and questions about WMC on your iPhone, Droid, WP7, and more.
milli260876

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by milli260876 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:52 pm

StumpyBloke wrote:
milli260876 wrote:
StumpyBloke wrote:I am soooooo tempted but what puts me off is it wont sync with Microsoft Outlook unless its going through Exchange... well done Microsoft on that complete fook-up!! Also, I beleive Nokia are releasing their range sometime in the near future which are better than the current range on Orange (I have to stick with Orange unfortunately)
Windows live (formerly known as hotmail) is exchange now I do believe and you can integrate any other addresses into it...
A cheap(er) way to get wp7 is to get a touch hd2 hard spl it and flash wp7 works quite well and should put you on til Nokia
release a wp7 handset. Btw I flashed android back due to the lack of flash in wp7 refer to my avatar.... ;-)
Thanks! :)
Have a look at xda-developers, if u need any pointers drop me a pm..
Lee

DanielBMe

Post by DanielBMe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:12 am

Hi, just bought and installed Meteor for the first time. I managed to get it installed on my pc and connect to my pc (well when I put in the ip address of my HTPC it seems to find it) but it doesn't seem to find any of my music. When I click on Meteor it goes to the Recent screen and says Loading but nothing happens. If I go to Music and Artists, nothing shows up.

My music is stored on my UnRaid Server. Everything loads up well in WMC and plays fine. My PC is plugged into my router. Everything is GB ethernet. I can see the Meteor Service has started when I start WMC 7. I'm using Windows 7 x64. My phone is an LG Optimus.

I've left my phone on for over an hour and still nothing shows up on my phone. I noticed some people talking about the Zune software. Do I need to have it installed as well on my HTPC?

DanielBMe

Post by DanielBMe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:53 am

I frequently get "no Wifi detected". What's funny is that even though I get that error, When I grab the control bar from the top of the meteor screen when in music mode I can use the direction buttons to move the cursor on my HPTC screen. So the remote part works but the Music just doesn't populate. As well under Recent it either shows No Wifi detected or once showed Nothing recently played or something like that.

adventful

Post by adventful » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:38 am

Hey guys, Meteor 1.1 has been released. This release includes the fixes that dduk helped us with a few weeks ago, along with a bunch of other minor features/bug fixes (for the full list see here).

The biggest new feature is that you can now use Meteor to control the Zune software! See here for instructions on setting it up.

There will be a client update coming soon as well.

I think the issue DanielBMe has been having has been resolved - let us know if you have any more problems, Daniel.

Crispy

Post by Crispy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:35 am

Crispy wrote:Ben or adventful, what happened to the transport controls in Meteor?

Am I doing something wrong or we're they cut from the launched app?

Ben,

The transport controls would disappear when your phone got the live tile bug where the registry becomes full up and doesn't removed unused application entries:

http://www.mobilitydigest.com/hey-micro ... live-tiles

I had to hard reset my phone to clear the registry and to get it to work properly. May help someone with similar problems.

Be warned 'hard reset' clears out your Harbor Master cargo total!

:'-(

NWW

Post by NWW » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:25 pm

Allright,

I've been trialing this app all day, and here are my findings/bugs/wishlist. I've emailed support (Once I shouldn't have, silly me, and a second time to report that I had find out my error + some other tidbits)

Here it goes:

-BUG: When you delete a new file from your HTPC, the app on the phone still reports it as new and on the HTPC. If you try via Meteor to start it, there is an error in WMC. Only way to delete it is to go into C:\Users\(Name)\Appdata\Local\Landdolphin\Meteor\Meta and open up whatever new media it was (in my case, TV) and edit the JSON with Notepad and delete the Metadata.
-Wishlist: There is no way to launch WMC from Meteor.
-Wishlist/bug: I get that you guys use asynchronous syncing, but couldn't you just build a cache on the phone? It is silly to wait a whole 5-10 seconds in each screen.
-Bug: Doesn't run under lockscreen
-Bug (related to Mango Beta): No multitasking
-Bug: Going back to the app using back button results in a "Resuming" loading screen.
-Wishlist: Pictures?
-Wishlist: In MediaBrowser, there is the ability to add Video Podcasts. Is it possible to remote into those as well?
-Bug: In trial mode, when you watch a Movie's Synopsis, the bottom of the synopsis is hidden behind the Ad.

That's it for my part. I've got some more testing to do on an HTPC with some TV tuners in it, but that will be in a couple of weeks.

BTW, location is Belgium, if that Helps.

Cheers! Money will soon be coming your way from me.

adventful

Post by adventful » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:22 am

Hi NWW, I'll reply to your points one by one below:
NWW wrote: -BUG: When you delete a new file from your HTPC, the app on the phone still reports it as new and on the HTPC. If you try via Meteor to start it, there is an error in WMC. Only way to delete it is to go into C:\Users\(Name)\Appdata\Local\Landdolphin\Meteor\Meta and open up whatever new media it was (in my case, TV) and edit the JSON with Notepad and delete the Metadata.
Yep, this is definitely a problem - one that we're already aware of and planning to fix.
NWW wrote: -Wishlist: There is no way to launch WMC from Meteor.
I've already completed most of the work to make this happen - however, it will not be the default behaviour as it requires Meteor to run on startup (same as Zune player). We thought it was better not to presume to do something like that unless the user asks for it. On the other hand, if people are getting confused about why Meteor doesn't work (as you did) maybe it would be best to do this by default.
NWW wrote: -Wishlist/bug: I get that you guys use asynchronous syncing, but couldn't you just build a cache on the phone? It is silly to wait a whole 5-10 seconds in each screen.
It's a bit more difficult than "just build a cache" if you want to do this properly :) Having said that, we've already done some work towards making this happen.
NWW wrote: -Bug: Doesn't run under lockscreen
This is certainly something that we could include as an option.
NWW wrote: -Bug (related to Mango Beta): No multitasking
-Bug: Going back to the app using back button results in a "Resuming" loading screen.
This isn't a bug - to get those Mango features, an application must specifically target Mango. Since the marketplace won't support Mango applications until Mango is officially released, it won't be possible to have this working until then.
NWW wrote: -Wishlist: Pictures?
Yep, we plan to get to this eventually.
NWW wrote: -Wishlist: In MediaBrowser, there is the ability to add Video Podcasts. Is it possible to remote into those as well?
I've never used this feature of MediaBrowser, I'm not sure how it works. It's possible, but probably not any time soon.
NWW wrote: -Bug: In trial mode, when you watch a Movie's Synopsis, the bottom of the synopsis is hidden behind the Ad.
Nice catch, we'll fix that up.

I hope this answers all your questions - let me know if you have any more.

Also, thanks to Crispy for that discovery about live tiles - that might explain a few things!

adventful

Post by adventful » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:55 am

Also, a quick update on the next client release of Meteor - we were planning to include French and German support, but this is taking much longer to organise than we anticipated, and the kind person who was assisting us with a German translation seems to have disappeared. We're now planning on only including French support in the next release.

Having said that, if anyone speaks German (or Italian, or Spanish) and would like to help us translate Meteor, we'd be very grateful.

NWW

Post by NWW » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:35 am

adventful wrote:Also, a quick update on the next client release of Meteor - we were planning to include French and German support, but this is taking much longer to organise than we anticipated, and the kind person who was assisting us with a German translation seems to have disappeared. We're now planning on only including French support in the next release.

Having said that, if anyone speaks German (or Italian, or Spanish) and would like to help us translate Meteor, we'd be very grateful.
I speak French, Dutch, and Greek if that can help ^^

adventful

Post by adventful » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:58 am

NWW wrote:I speak French, Dutch, and Greek if that can help ^^
That's pretty impressive, but I think the only one of those that is an official WP7 language at the moment is French, and I think we've got that one covered. Thanks though!

NWW

Post by NWW » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:45 am

By the way, does something similiar exists for the iOS environment? My mom has an iPad and was jealous when she saw all the things I could do with my shinny new WP7 and wants to do the same thing. I guess you guys haven't done anything like this, but do you know of some app that does this for iOS?

EDIT: Also, forgot to ask, any support for Playlists? (I mean, on WMC)

NWW

Post by NWW » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:24 pm

Another bug, with the artist called "Isles & Glaciers" (notice that it is an '&' sign, and not a "and").

When I go into Music > Artist > Isles & Glaciers , at the top it is only written "ISLES", and it doesn't not find the album.

I will try with another artist to add a "&" and see if it happens as well.

EDIT: Didn't have to alter a band, I tried "Simon & Garfunkel", same thing.

adventful

Post by adventful » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:20 am

NWW wrote:By the way, does something similiar exists for the iOS environment?
We're not aware of anything, but then we haven't looked into it.
NWW wrote:When I go into Music > Artist > Isles & Glaciers , at the top it is only written "ISLES", and it doesn't not find the album.
Thanks, that'll be fixed in the next client update.
NWW wrote:EDIT: Also, forgot to ask, any support for Playlists? (I mean, on WMC)
Quite a few people have asked for that - it's been a bit of a surprise, given that I never use playlists at all. We'll definitely include it in an upcoming release, but not in the next update - it will take a bit longer than that.

We've now got a German translation so we're just waiting for our French translator to finish and we'll be releasing our first client update, which will just consist of bug fixes and the new languages.

Gahgah

Post by Gahgah » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:37 am

Hey adventful,

I'm happy you recived the german translation (I havn't heard if my mail arrived).
I'm sorry it took so long but work and vacation took a lot of my time during the last weeks.
I'm now back to normal and will continue to translate anything you need.
So always feel free to contact me (Ben knows my mail adress) and I'll make sure to answer as fast as possible.

Meteor is working great! I really like it and I like you effort to improve the app even further!

Best Regards

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:26 pm

Anyone have any Idea when the next version of Meteor App is coming? Mine still is a LOT buggy and isn't working right.. Was hoping for an update by now...
newfiend~

dduk

Post by dduk » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:03 pm

newfiend wrote:Anyone have any Idea when the next version of Meteor App is coming? Mine still is a LOT buggy and isn't working right.. Was hoping for an update by now...
newfiend~
Ditto - don't find it buggy, but I'd love to be able to play artists/albums with an ampersand in their name.

I've also noticed an issue where it won't forget user accounts that I've deleted from client machines - no biggie though.

adventful

Post by adventful » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:59 am

Hey guys, sorry this update is taking so long. The reason that it has taken so long is that while we were waiting for translations to be done, we started a few new features, and then the translations came back - but then we needed to finish the new features, and then the new features need translating... on top of that our day jobs/partners have been taking up a lot of our time lately. However, I think we're nearly on top of it all again, and hopefully there will be an update around this weekend or next week (depending on how quickly the translation process goes).

There will be a couple of new features in the update (as well as a bunch of bug fixes). We've added client side caching of library queries, so you won't be waiting as much as you navigate around your media. We've also added playlist support for Media Center due to popular demand. After this we'll start on our Mango update, for which we're planning lots of improvements that we're quite excited about.

On the server side we've made a few improvements as well. Deleted videos will no longer show up on your phone, and we've made some fixes to improve the reliability of file detection (for when you add a new video file while Meteor/Media Center is already running). The biggest addition on the server side, however, is experimental support for downloading TV metadata/images. Meteor will be able to use thetvdb.com to fill in the missing gaps in your TV metadata, but this will be entirely optional and disabled by default. The idea is that eventually you won't need to install lots of different programs to manage your media if you don't want to - Meteor will handle it all - but also Meteor won't touch anything you don't want it to, and it will always be made to cooperate with other programs. If you want to use other programs for certain things because you think they do a better job, that's fine - Meteor will still work!

newfiend - What bugs are you seeing? Hopefully we've already fixed them, but it would be good to be sure.
dduk - Thanks for reminding me about the deleted accounts issue, I'll look into fixing it. The ampersand issue will be fixed in the update.

dduk

Post by dduk » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:25 am

Thanks Adventful, great update.

I've also noticed a problem whereby if I open Meteor and the media centre is currently playing, it reports that nothing is currently playing. Stopping whatever's playing and restarting it makes it appear instantly.

Again, it's a great app and I use it a lot.

adventful

Post by adventful » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:31 am

dduk wrote:I've also noticed a problem whereby if I open Meteor and the media centre is currently playing, it reports that nothing is currently playing. Stopping whatever's playing and restarting it makes it appear instantly.
Thanks dduk, I've managed to replicate and fix that issue - I can't believe I hadn't noticed it myself! It should be fixed in the next server release I mentioned above. Let me know if there's anything else you notice.

dduk

Post by dduk » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:23 pm

adventful wrote:
dduk wrote:I've also noticed a problem whereby if I open Meteor and the media centre is currently playing, it reports that nothing is currently playing. Stopping whatever's playing and restarting it makes it appear instantly.
Thanks dduk, I've managed to replicate and fix that issue - I can't believe I hadn't noticed it myself! It should be fixed in the next server release I mentioned above. Let me know if there's anything else you notice.
Thanks Adventful. I haven't noticed anything else, but if I do, I'll drop you an email.