Win Phone 7 - Meteor Remote Control for 7MC out

Experiences and questions about WMC on your iPhone, Droid, WP7, and more.
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by newfiend » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:49 am

Sent in a couple bug reports tonight via email. It keeps crashing on my phone and the counter on the live tile says 71 and doesn't register when I delete items. Part of it is I need to set the htpc to static ip address.
Looking forward to the next update!

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

dduk

Post by dduk » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:43 pm

newfiend wrote:Sent in a couple bug reports tonight via email. It keeps crashing on my phone and the counter on the live tile says 71 and doesn't register when I delete items. Part of it is I need to set the htpc to static ip address.

I've noticed something similar on the live tile too: I have one media centre that, when connected always returns either 91 or 99 items added. This has been the case for a few weeks now, even when there are no new items added.

Crispy

Post by Crispy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:13 pm

dduk wrote:
newfiend wrote:Sent in a couple bug reports tonight via email. It keeps crashing on my phone and the counter on the live tile says 71 and doesn't register when I delete items. Part of it is I need to set the htpc to static ip address.

I've noticed something similar on the live tile too: I have one media centre that, when connected always returns either 91 or 99 items added. This has been the case for a few weeks now, even when there are no new items added.
This is the live tile bug where the registry becomes full up and doesn't remove unused application entries:
http://www.mobilitydigest.com/hey-micro ... live-tiles

The phone creates endpoints and doesn't delete them. This causes 'Live Tiles' to fail. Think NoDo has 15 entries for live tiles and Mango doubles that figure and I believe removes this registry error. Hopefully Mango is out soon, rumour 1st September. Although the developer has gone quiet and hopefully they're working on a Mango update with fast resume...

dduk

Post by dduk » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:14 pm

Crispy wrote:
dduk wrote:

This is the live tile bug where the registry becomes full up and doesn't remove unused application entries:
http://www.mobilitydigest.com/hey-micro ... live-tiles

The phone creates endpoints and doesn't delete them. This causes 'Live Tiles' to fail. Think NoDo has 15 entries for live tiles and Mango doubles that figure and I believe removes this registry error. Hopefully Mango is out soon, rumour 1st September. Although the developer has gone quiet and hopefully they're working on a Mango update with fast resume...
Thanks, Crispy. I thought I had read something about that somewhere.

dduk

Post by dduk » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:32 am

Feature request alert:

I have three 'Meteor enabled htpcs' at home, two media centres and my main workstation with which I control Zune (even though I'm never further than 0.5m from the keyboard/mouse).

The girlfriend was using the phone last night and wanted to play some music on one of the htpcs. I told her that she'd need to change the client to that media centre was it was connected to the media centre in the bedroom. She had no trouble in going via settings etc, but was confused with a list of five available options in the client list: two for each htpc and one for my workstation. Unfortunately, my media centres have two user accounts, a standard 'media centre' account and an admin account under my name that I use to RDP to make changes.

Would it be possible to add a small UI to the Meteor server to allow the user to select which accounts should be exposed to the clients? At the moment I love the idea that the server is UI-less - it adds to the clean, simplicity of the application, but it would be great to clean up the client selection screen.

Thanks for taking this into consideration.

adventful

Post by adventful » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:32 am

Hi guys, I have indeed gone quiet - I've stopped getting emails from this thread for some reason. We're still planning a release very soon - the translation process (for French, at least - our German translator is very prompt) is still not going well. I think we might just have to drop French to get this release out the door.

The good news about the delay is that features for subsequent releases will come a lot quicker, as large chunks of the work are done already. A lot of the work for remote access (i.e. using Meteor over the internet) is done, including automatic configuration of UPnP routers, and I've done some prototyping of streaming support as well. All of this will NOT be in the next release, but will hopefully be in the next major service release after that, which will probably coincide with a Mango client release. I've also added downloading metadata for movies from themoviedb.com, a beta version of which should be in the next release, along with the previously mentioned TV metadata downloading.

dduk - Thanks for the suggestion, I have added better service management to my todo list for 1.3.

dduk

Post by dduk » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:56 am

adventful wrote:Hi guys, I have indeed gone quiet - I've stopped getting emails from this thread for some reason. We're still planning a release very soon - the translation process (for French, at least - our German translator is very prompt) is still not going well. I think we might just have to drop French to get this release out the door.

The good news about the delay is that features for subsequent releases will come a lot quicker, as large chunks of the work are done already. A lot of the work for remote access (i.e. using Meteor over the internet) is done, including automatic configuration of UPnP routers, and I've done some prototyping of streaming support as well. All of this will NOT be in the next release, but will hopefully be in the next major service release after that, which will probably coincide with a Mango client release. I've also added downloading metadata for movies from themoviedb.com, a beta version of which should be in the next release, along with the previously mentioned TV metadata downloading.

dduk - Thanks for the suggestion, I have added better service management to my todo list for 1.3.
Thanks for the update, Adventful. It sounds like the new version is progressing really well - I can't wait to play music from artists/albums with an ampersand in their name!!

Thanks also for looking into my service management suggestion.

Quicky

Post by Quicky » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:23 pm

Meteor can't see my Music library at all. Any obvious reason why this would be? The TV Guide is also not listed. It can see recorded TV, and my movies, but nothing else.

Quicky

Post by Quicky » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:57 pm

Aaargh, ignore that! You have to have "Stream my pictures, music, and videos to all devices on my home network" checked within Homegroup settings.

Crispy

Post by Crispy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:22 am

Updated my Windows 7 Phone to Mango and did the new updates and moved the hub to my WHS and now this App is excellent.

Update suggestions:
Fast resume but it's pretty quick anyway.
The slide down remote I think would look better if the buttons were bigger to match with the phone's transport controls.
MyMovies integration (one can dream...)

Anyway big congratulations to the development team!

dduk

Post by dduk » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:53 am

Crispy wrote: Anyway big congratulations to the development team!
+1

I updated to Mango over the weekend and helped myself to the latest client and server versions.

An excellent update all around, although the client still doesn't show what's been playing since I opened the app.

Also, I remember seeing in a previous post somewhere that a new version would allow control over 3G rather than Wi-Fi. Has this made it into this release? If so, what ports need to be opened/forwarded?

adventful

Post by adventful » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:42 am

Hey guys, thanks for the comments/suggestions - I'll address a couple of them quickly below:
Crispy wrote:Fast resume but it's pretty quick anyway.
Yeh, this release isn't actually Mango - we'd actually submitted it to the marketplace before the news that Mango was being released. This will be included in the next release.
Crispy wrote:The slide down remote I think would look better if the buttons were bigger to match with the phone's transport controls.
Yep, we'll be updating the slide down panel in the next release to match the new Mango UI.
Crispy wrote:MyMovies integration (one can dream...)
The problem here isn't so much technical as legal. We'd like to provide this, but we're not sure if we're allowed to. The MyMovies website suggests that we aren't, but we haven't really looked into it too far yet.
Crispy wrote:Anyway big congratulations to the development team!
Thanks!
dduk wrote:An excellent update all around, although the client still doesn't show what's been playing since I opened the app.
Do you mean it doesn't show what's currently playing when you open the app, or it doesn't show things you've played since the last time you opened the app?
dduk wrote:Also, I remember seeing in a previous post somewhere that a new version would allow control over 3G rather than Wi-Fi. Has this made it into this release? If so, what ports need to be opened/forwarded?
No, that will be in the next release. Meteor will handle the port forwarding for you, so long as you have a UPnP router (they pretty much all are these days).

dduk

Post by dduk » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:06 am

adventful wrote:
dduk wrote:An excellent update all around, although the client still doesn't show what's been playing since I opened the app.
Do you mean it doesn't show what's currently playing when you open the app, or it doesn't show things you've played since the last time you opened the app?
I tested this further last night. When I open the app, a recorded tv programme that had been playing for a couple of minutes wasn't being shown in now playing. I had to stop and restart the programme to get it to show.

On another client, I opened the app whilst playing some music. This did show up but the now playing timer coninuted to tick over on track 1 well into playing track 3 on a different album (the now playing wasn't updated).
adventful wrote:
dduk wrote:Also, I remember seeing in a previous post somewhere that a new version would allow control over 3G rather than Wi-Fi. Has this made it into this release? If so, what ports need to be opened/forwarded?
No, that will be in the next release. Meteor will handle the port forwarding for you, so long as you have a UPnP router (they pretty much all are these days).
Excellent news. Unfortunately I'm one of the eight people in the world who's router doesn't support uPnP so I look forward to a port forwarding battle.

adventful

Post by adventful » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:08 am

dduk wrote:I tested this further last night. When I open the app, a recorded tv programme that had been playing for a couple of minutes wasn't being shown in now playing. I had to stop and restart the programme to get it to show.
Thanks, I'll check this one out.
dduk wrote:On another client, I opened the app whilst playing some music. This did show up but the now playing timer coninuted to tick over on track 1 well into playing track 3 on a different album (the now playing wasn't updated).
I uploaded a patch release (1.2.1) on Sunday that addresses this exact issue (at least, I hope it does :)). I presume you've got the initial 1.2 release installed?

STC

Post by STC » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:08 pm

I think this thread deserves sticky status.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

dduk

Post by dduk » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:53 pm

adventful wrote: I uploaded a patch release (1.2.1) on Sunday that addresses this exact issue (at least, I hope it does :)). I presume you've got the initial 1.2 release installed?
I've just downloaded the msi from the website and it's still reporting version 1.2. Do you have a url to the 1.2.1 version?

adventful

Post by adventful » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:19 am

dduk wrote:I've just downloaded the msi from the website and it's still reporting version 1.2. Do you have a url to the 1.2.1 version?
Darn, I forgot to update the version number on the installer - if you've just downloaded it, you'll have to trust me that it's 1.2.1. I'll upload a fixed 1.2.1 later today.

dduk

Post by dduk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:07 am

adventful wrote:
dduk wrote:I've just downloaded the msi from the website and it's still reporting version 1.2. Do you have a url to the 1.2.1 version?
Darn, I forgot to update the version number on the installer - if you've just downloaded it, you'll have to trust me that it's 1.2.1. I'll upload a fixed 1.2.1 later today.
10-4. I'll get the latest version installed this evening and report back accordingly.

NWW

Post by NWW » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:26 am

Any news on the mango update?

adventful

Post by adventful » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:23 am

NWW wrote:Any news on the mango update?
It's coming! Been a little busy lately (building a new house takes up a lot of time!) but I'm getting there. Most of the work is done, I'd probably say another 1-2 weeks until we can submit to the marketplace, so probably 2-3 weeks before you get it.

It's now looking like streaming won't make the next version - it would have delayed the release too long. Remote access will be in, though. Lots of other mango goodies too!