Win Phone 7 - Meteor Remote Control for 7MC out

Experiences and questions about WMC on your iPhone, Droid, WP7, and more.
NWW

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by NWW » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:17 pm

From the MyMovies.dk How To's
Using My Movies Data

Introduction
Developers is able to access and use My Movies data either by export the data from the database, or by accessing the database directly, allowing the use of the data for alternative front-end applications, tools or similar. These options are available in versions 2.45 and forward.

Terms
•The data may only be used for non-commercial purposes only. If you would like to use the data for commercial purposes, please contact support@mymovies.dk. This means that you may not use My Movies data in commercial programs.. The only exception to this rule is when a user manually uses the export feature in My Movies, in which case, the user may use the exported data for all personal purposes, including imports to other programs, commercial or non-commercial.

•The data may only be used on devices owned by the user or the household from which the data was exported on or the database was accessed. This means that you may transfer the data to other devices, such as handheld devices, but only as long as these devices is owned by the original user, and the data is not transferred further.

•The data may not be redistributed, shared, or in any way used in ways that cannot be referred to as personal usage by the original user. This means that using the data on websites, services or similar is strictly forbidden.

adventful

Post by adventful » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:42 pm

Thanks NWW - it's the section that says that you can't use My Movies data in commercial programs that makes me think that we can't do it. Technically Meteor is a commercial program, even if the revenue to effort ratio doesn't make it seem that way to me :)

As a more general update... I was nearly ready to go with the next update when I realised that extender support for the Mango supported version had been broken. I think I have a way to fix it, but it's delayed the next release again :( If you're not interested in the technical details of the problem, skip the next paragraph!

For those interested, the problem is that previously Meteor worked over http, which allows you to share a single port between multiple processes using http namespaces. This meant that multiple extenders (which actually run on the same htpc under a different user session) and the console could all work at the same time. With Mango we get access to socket APIs, so Meteor is switching to a direct TCP connection for benefits of speed, reliability and two way communication (i.e. Meteor responds much better to events on the server side). What I forgot about was that this would break extender support, as only one process at a time can bind to a single TCP port. Just assigning a different port to each user seems like the simple solution, but you run into problems with firewalls and port forwarding. I *think* I have a solution, but I just haven't had time to implement it this week - too many other things going on right now.

I'll keep you posted, and thanks for your patience. It'll be good when it's done, I promise!

Crispy

Post by Crispy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:24 am

Inquired with Brian regarding MyMovies integration with Meteor: http://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=18626&p=4

Seems they are going to open up their remote servers for other applications to use it.

NWW

Post by NWW » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Hey all,

Just checking in to see if there is any progress.

Also, I'm so in love with this app that if you build a windowd 8 metro style app, I will buy it with my eyes closed!

Cheers

adventful

Post by adventful » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:34 am

A new update for Meteor has been released! See here for details.

There are lots of new features - the major ones are:
- Ability to connect to Meteor over the internet, including automatic port forwarding.
- Updated Mango interface.
- Automatic service discovery.
- Turn off your HTPC, and wake it up again (if your HTPC supports WoL).
- Rename & hide services.
- Pin individual services to your start page (add a different tile for each Meteor enabled computer).
- Live tiles show what you've been playing.
- Act as a keyboard for your HTPC.
- Fixed sorting & grouping to ignore some common words (i.e. "The").
- Watched/unwatched tracking for TV and movies.
- Added colour coding and ability to swipe between channels to EPG.

If you've already installed Meteor, you'll need to install the newest service from http://landdolphin.net/meteor as the new client version isn't compatible with the old server.

Let me know if you have any questions or problems, and let me know what you think!

Crispy

Post by Crispy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:01 pm

adventful wrote:A new update for Meteor has been released! See here for details.

Let me know if you have any questions or problems, and let me know what you think!
Great to see an update to the Meteor App!

I've installed the service on my server and two HTPC's and updated the App on my phone but now it just instantly quits after I select the HTPC on the phone.

On the HTPC I couldn't launch the service to configure anything, double clicking to load it does nothing. I've tried uninstalling, repairing and resetting the WHS2011 and HTPC's but still no luck. I've tried the service on a 32-bit HTPC and a 64-bit HTPC.

Is there some files left over on the HTPC's or WHS from the previous version which uninstall is leaving behind which is causing problems?

Any help greatly appreciated!

adventful

Post by adventful » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:36 pm

Crispy wrote: Great to see an update to the Meteor App!

I've installed the service on my server and two HTPC's and updated the App on my phone but now it just instantly quits after I select the HTPC on the phone.

On the HTPC I couldn't launch the service to configure anything, double clicking to load it does nothing. I've tried uninstalling, repairing and resetting the WHS2011 and HTPC's but still no luck. I've tried the service on a 32-bit HTPC and a 64-bit HTPC.

Is there some files left over on the HTPC's or WHS from the previous version which uninstall is leaving behind which is causing problems?

Any help greatly appreciated!
On the server you could try deleting the "C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\LandDolphin\Meteor" and "C:\ProgramData\LandDolphin" folders. I'd appreciate it if you could take a copy of them before you delete them though, and send me the logs so that I can fix any problems. Either way, let me know how it goes. The phone shouldn't crash either - hopefully that crash will filter back through the marketplace error reporting and I'll be able to fix it when I get it in a week or so.

Sorry for the problems - it is very to difficult to test such a major upgrade for every possible setup out there.

Crispy

Post by Crispy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:58 pm

adventful wrote:Sorry for the problems - it is very to difficult to test such a major upgrade for every possible setup out there.
No problem the update looked really great before it started to instantly quit on my phone (HTC Mozart).

I'll try your suggestion and post you the logs before I delete them. I think I can do that through this forum...
Although at work at the moment and away from my HTPC's.

Thanks for the quick reply.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:20 pm

No probs here, I uninstalled the old version from the PC, rebooted just in case and then installed the new version.

Nice work!!!

I use Meteor quite a lot when I'm in front of the TV and the new version is so much faster - using the phone to send remote control commands is virtually instant! :D

I'm looking forward to trying out all of the new features.

Thanks for the great work :thumbup:
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

dduk

Post by dduk » Wed May 16, 2012 7:09 am

Hello, all.

I've just installed the latest version and I'm very keen to get the remote access features working.

I've installed the hub on a WHS 2011 box and the Windows Media Centre stuff on a HTPC (not the port sharing or Zune integration as I have no need for either). Within the Meteor application on the HTPC, I've clicked on Settings, Remote Access and checked the check box.

My router doesn't support UPnP, and I've entered my dynamic DNS into the box, however I can't find any reference of which ports to forward.

The window says "You will have to manually configure port forwarding on your router using the following settings:" but the next line is the text box for the dynamic DNS host name.

Adventful, please could you let me know what ports need to be forwarded please?

Many thanks in advance.

adventful

Post by adventful » Wed May 16, 2012 7:24 am

Ahh, yes, I know what's going on there. The required ports don't populate until you have at least one service running (it's on the list of things to fix). Try starting WMC and then restarting that settings dialog. Hopefully it will then tell you which ports it needs.

If that doesn't work post again and I'll look them up (can't remember off the top of my head anymore!).

dduk

Post by dduk » Wed May 16, 2012 8:07 am

Thanks. I've been able to forward port 8363 as mentioned by the application when MC is running, however when opening Meteor from my phone, it says "Remote access not configured on server". The application then quits shortly after.

I can't find any UI available on the server (hub) to configure anything else. Am I missing something?

adventful

Post by adventful » Wed May 16, 2012 8:27 am

That means that the dynamic DNS host that you entered hasn't filtered through to the hub or the phone. Try:

* Close Meteor & WMC and restart them. This should force Meteor to update the hub with the new config.
* On the phone, go to connection settings and hit the refresh button on the bottom of the page. That will force Meteor to fetch the latest config from the hub.

I'll try to make this work a bit more smoothly in future.

dduk

Post by dduk » Wed May 16, 2012 8:35 am

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll need to wait until I'm back home for this as the phone app closes shortly after it's opened with the "remote access not configured" message.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:53 pm

Is there any chance of getting ahold of this and somehow getting it activated. As a kind of "embedded" WMC remote, Win phone 7 might still have some use. Its much cheaper to grab a thirty dollar old phone off of ebay than it is to buy a brand new dedicated phone/tablet to control things around the house.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:57 pm

Is there any chance of getting ahold of this and somehow getting it activated. As a kind of "embedded" WMC remote, Win phone 7 might still have some use. Its much cheaper to grab a thirty dollar old phone off of ebay than it is to buy a brand new dedicated phone/tablet to control things around the house.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:18 pm

I'm pretty sure I have the x86 and x64 windows installers. I don't know how easy it would be to get hold of the phone app though.

I think I still have an old HD7 and a Lumia that may have the app installed......
Rob.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:53 pm

I might need your help at some point then if you don't mind. Before I start hunting down old phones though I want to make sure I can use the software and it is completely functional. Is there anyway you could dig up the phone and try it out. I'm not sure if I would have to activate the app or not. I'll also point this out this link if someone is having trouble with atist backdrops

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:56 pm

I might need your help at some point then if you don't mind. Before I start hunting down old phones though I want to make sure I can use the software and it is completely functional. Is there anyway you could dig up the phone and try it out. I'm not sure if I would have to activate the app or not. I'll also point this out this link if someone is having trouble with artist backdrops in various wmc/wmp music library clients. I believe they all rely on embedded tags to show backdrops and because the app stores for zune/WP are dead you might have to rely on third party software to place these tags in your music files. To do so, I have seen others recommend this software https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:02 pm

The old lumia doesnt have Meteor installed unfortunately. It doesnt show up in the list of apps previously installed either.

The hd7 is stuck in the old "vibrates 7 times" boot loop at the moment.

I'll have a proper look at it over the weekend.

I'm pretty sure I deleted all old zune backups etc that may have old phone backups in as well. There may be an old laptop hdd or 2 lying around in the shed from 2014 ish though.

The biggest stumbling block in testing will probably be the fact none of my every day machines have MC installed!

I remember Meteor being very nice to use.

I did find a copy of the other media center remote app from the same era installed on the lumia, it was pretty good too.

http://www.bradmauk.me/themediacenterpr ... nterRemote

Sent via Tapatalk
Rob.