Shark's Codec Pack Malware/Junkware

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
Protos

HTPC Specs: Show details

Shark's Codec Pack Malware/Junkware

Post by Protos » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:17 pm

Regarding Sharks Codec Pack

DO NOT INSTALL THIS JUNKWARE !!

While I appreciate very much people taking the time to point me in the right direction.... let me return the favor and let other new htpc codec users know that Sharks pack installs Bing Bar, Ask and Live Assistant Search Enhancement Pack
Thses will AUTO INSTALL without the users knowledge. THERE ARE NO SCREENS TO OPT OUT !!!

Had this crap install on my system and it took quite a while to get it removed as it will auto re install on boot.

There is a thread about it here http://shark007.net/forum/Thread-So-Bin ... ically-now

Its a douche move on the authors part as there is no option to opt out.
Hope this little post saves someone from similar aggravation.
Stay away from this

Tester

Post by Tester » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:30 pm

Although I can understand your frustration ( I also really dislike nonsense programs such as Ask, Live, etc.), Shark clearly states what will be installed on the system and he has many times over explained why he does it.
Also, he provides a simple reg file which will omit the installations of these programs on your system.. not only from his, but from other installers.

I recommend Sharks codec for those that do not use the minimalist approach and think this small effort is worth what you get in return.

Tester

Protos

Post by Protos » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:44 pm

I think you should take a closer look at the program installer before jumping to this persons defense.

NO WHERE IN THE INSTALLER IS THERE CHECKBOX TO OPT OUT.
Multiple users in the thread have complained/confirmed this.

I recommend Klite packs for those who want their computers to remain free of Malware/Junkware that secretly installs itself .... so someone can make a few cents while they crap on your hard work getting your system perfect.

Protos

Edited by StumpyBloke

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:19 am

This was discussed on WEC some time ago, and Shark007 pointed out that the Terms of Service tell you that the additional software will be installed. If you agreed to the TOS without reading them, that's your fault. Honestly, I think you deserve whatever you get, be it good or bad. Next time be more aware before you click/check "I agree". Don't get mad because you did something stupid. You never know what the TOS might say....you never know when you might end up as a HUMANCENTiPAD (Google it if you don't know).

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:02 am

I'm not defending Shark007. I'm defending the position that you are supposed to read the TOS before agreeing to them. It's covered in the TOS, and if you didn't agree to it, you shouldn't have told the software you did. My guess is, you, like many other people, just blindly clicked the "I agree" button without knowing what you were agreeing to. I don't feel sorry for people that blindly agree to do things and then get mad because they end up doing exactly what they agreed to do. Let this be a lesson. Next time you install something, read the TOS and make sure you agree with them before proceeding.

That said, I do not agree with bundling crapware. But it's not my software, and if that's how Shark007 wants to do things, that's his business.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:43 am

richard1980 is correct. This is a highly controversial topic that was discussed heavily on the WEC.

http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows ... spx#537968

There are alternatives to using Shark007 codecs. For example, if you just need to play MKV files in WMC, simply install Haali Media Splitter (http://haali.su/mkv/).
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Tester

Post by Tester » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:35 pm

I have no reason to defend this person nor the software, I was only stating what I have learned from the last year or so of being to codec hell and back.
Regardless, since you recommend Klite packs, we can clearly now understand your level of experience. Nuff said, discussion closed.

dduk

Post by dduk » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:05 am

Tester wrote:Regardless, since you recommend Klite packs, we can clearly now understand your level of experience. Nuff said, discussion closed.
I have similar feelings regarding codec packs, but unless you happen to read threads where people have experienced the hell the cause or have first-hand experience, having a go at the OP isn't very big.

I too installed Shark's codec pack because I was looking to play blu-rays natively in media centre and many were saying that his pack was the way to go. Once I realised my mistake, I had to format and reinstall windows just to get the ******* thing off again. I'm now running LAV filters which are a clean, simple to install/easy to configure alternative to codec packs and I can't recommend them highly enough.