Choppy playback and audio not in sync

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
RedOne

HTPC Specs: Show details

Choppy playback and audio not in sync

Post by RedOne » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:37 pm

I have been searching the web and can only find that the problem seems to be the Codecs which is causing my video to be choppy and audio to be out of sync. however i do not know what to do to to correct this. I am looking for a guide to set up WMC so that i can just use it to watch my videos on instead of the multiple players i have like mkv, divix, and WMP. I have an extensive library of movies in all different formats. Just looking for the optimal way to be able to use WMC as it is intended to be used.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:52 am

I would strongly suggest posting more specific information about your system. For example, hardware specifics, driver versions, codecs installed, etc.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

RedOne

Post by RedOne » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:26 pm

HTPC is running an I5 3.0 gig duel core processor with a galaxy 430 nvidia video card. i have 4 gigs of ram all on a gigabyte MB. im running WIN7 pro my TV card is an older card the tv wonder all drivers are up to date. the players i have installed are the divix player, the mkv player, and the standard WMP. id like to get rid of all that and just use WMC to play my movies on. as far as codecs i just have the standard ones that come with each player no add ons or codec pacs. i do have a ac3 filter and the DTS codec or what ever it is to be able to play digital sound.

Any guidance as to what i need to do or get would be very much appreciated as my wife is getting upset at me because she cant watch brides maids or cars 2. these seem to be the worse as far as out of sync audio and choppy play back. cars 2 is in mkv format and brides maids is a divix format.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:45 pm

Do the videos play fine in the MKV Player, WMP, and Divix player? Do the videos play fine in VLC media player?

For MKV files, all you really need is Haali Media Splitter (http://haali.su/mkv/) and then WMC can play MKV files.

RedOne

Post by RedOne » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:54 pm

no they do not that is why i want them to be able to play in the WMC.... just DL that file and tried to play cars 2 and still choppy? also tried brides maids the sound is still out of sync but not as bad if i pause it and wait a few min and start again it is fine but still gradually goes out of sync.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:15 pm

I suggest the following:

--Install VLC Media player (http://www.videolan.org) and test all file formats
--Try a different video card

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:14 pm

Before buying a new video card I'd recommend just using Win7's built in decoders. So, uninstall everything except Haali, which is still needed to play mkv, and try again. You don't even need Haali if you use tsmuxer to quickly convert mkv to m2ts.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft