Any disadvantages of converting .wtv -> dvr-ms

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
indyjonesuk

HTPC Specs: Show details

Any disadvantages of converting .wtv -> dvr-ms

Post by indyjonesuk » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:29 pm

Hi all,

As per title really, thinking of setting up a 'live' build of XBMC and this seems to be the easiest way to playback my recorded TV.

Thanks,

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:28 am

WTV is just an enhancement of the DVR-MS format. Specifically, there are enhancements to metadata and DRM. If either of those two enhancements are of no concern to you, then there are no disadvantages.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

indyjonesuk

Post by indyjonesuk » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:59 am

Scallica wrote:WTV is just an enhancement of the DVR-MS format. Specifically, there are enhancements to metadata and DRM. If either of those two enhancements are of no concern to you, then there are no disadvantages.
Hmmm OK well I don't care about DRM, what happens to the meta data will I suddely lose a load ?

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:39 am

From your name I'm guessing you're in the UK. The advantage of wtv is that is stores the MHEG data from Freeview, so the red button stuff and subtitles. Converting to dvr-ms will strip all that out - will save a chunk of disk space if that matters to you.

The other thing is that wtv will store h.264 video, as used by Freeview HD. dvr-ms won't do that at all, so you'd be restricted to standard def Freeview, unless you convert the HD h.264 to mpeg2.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

indyjonesuk

Post by indyjonesuk » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:01 pm

mark1234 wrote:From your name I'm guessing you're in the UK. The advantage of wtv is that is stores the MHEG data from Freeview, so the red button stuff and subtitles. Converting to dvr-ms will strip all that out - will save a chunk of disk space if that matters to you.

The other thing is that wtv will store h.264 video, as used by Freeview HD. dvr-ms won't do that at all, so you'd be restricted to standard def Freeview, unless you convert the HD h.264 to mpeg2.

Yeah you quite right, just updated my details with a rough details. OK so there are quite a few disadvantages, not worried about the stuff stripped out but when I go HD (March next year.....) it will create problems for me. Thanks for the help.