No video -BD rips in .wmv

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
cKuR6

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by cKuR6 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:10 pm

After much more reading and too much time gone by, I scrapped my desire for bd quality and went with what was again claimed to be the easy option... again no dice.

I get the video codec error in wmc when trying to play a bd rip using:
autoripncompress to make mkv (h264) (aac3)
dvrmstoolbox, mkv to wtv

what am i missing?
the wtv will not play in wmc
the mkv plays in wmp, but has subtitles......

I used this link: http://babgvant.com/forums/t/3381.aspx
Attachments
DecoderError.jpg

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Tue May 05, 2015 1:00 pm

Download Graphstudio (graphedit) http://blog.monogram.sk/janos/tools/mon ... raphstudio.

Open your video from in there and reply back with the renderers, splitters, and codecs used. Also make sure you're using the correct version (32bit vs 64bit).
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:15 pm

sounds like fun. I have to coach tonight, but i'll try to get it done. If not tomorrow.

I continued to experiment. Here are the findings so far:
makemkv refuses to allow WMC autoripncompress (ARC) to open the program.
therefore, i'm running ARC, then manually opening makemkv.
this did not result in a file that would play in wmc. mkv plays in wmp.

I then used makemkv solely, as it seems to be able to do this without ARC.
I successfully created mkv's for 2 DVD's and 2 BD's. All play fine in wmp.
I then used dvrmstoolbox (DVRMST) to swap to wtv, using the prebuilt profile found on the site previously linked.
The DVD's play fine in WMC on PC and Echo's.
One BD play's fine in WMC on PC, no dice on echo.
One BD will not play on either PC or Echo, but it seems to be the same exact file setup.

The fact that I get differing results for the exact same process, seems to maybe indicate it's a security issue? With my limited knowledge in all this, that seems to be the only thing that makes sense. The BD that fails is a newly released BD. While the one that plays is, A Good Day to Die Hard.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Tue May 05, 2015 1:27 pm

Is your machine 32bit or 64bit?

If you are trying to play videos on WMC from the PC, WMC uses the 32bit WMP engine (and therefor the 32bit splitters and codecs)-- even if it's a 64bit OS/install. For WMC via extenders-- MCX uses the 64bit WMP engine for playback in WMC on the extenders (and therefor 64bit splitters and codecs). It could be you have configuration differences between your 32bit splitters/codecs and your 64bit splitters/codecs.

Might be worth looking in to.
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Tue May 05, 2015 2:09 pm

I have W7Ultimate X64
I don't really understand codecs, yet.
Are you reffering to an add on pack, like Shark's, or the standard WMC included codecs?

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Tue May 05, 2015 2:41 pm

Yeah-- addon packs, LAVFilters, FFDShow, MKV Splitters, Shark, "Other" MPEG2, etc...
Take a quick look at the Sticky of this SubForum. It's a quick and dirty explanation of this stuff in a few one-liners. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... ?f=32&t=53
A "Splitter" is something that can take a audio/video file (that's the audio stream plus the video stream, plus anything else like subtitles in a file container) and "split" the different "streams" to send them to their respective decoders and after that, they go out the renderer to display on the screen.

Try playing your file with the 64bit version of WMP-- My guess is it probably won't work just like the extenders won't work (just a guess). The 64bit version of WMP is located here: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe

The 32bit version is the DEFAULT even if you click the WMP icon from Start/Programs on a 64bit Windows install. If you open task manager, you'll see which one is actually being used when you start playing your file.

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Wed May 20, 2015 2:00 am

TheOsburnFamil wrote:Download Graphstudio (graphedit) http://blog.monogram.sk/janos/tools/mon ... raphstudio.

Open your video from in there and reply back with the renderers, splitters, and codecs used. Also make sure you're using the correct version (32bit vs 64bit).
ok, finally have some time here. had a death in the family and the coaching is wearing me thin... BUT we are undefeated! Run Ruled the team tonight.

So here is a working DVD rip:
WORKING-DVD-TheMazeRunner.jpg
Working DVD Rip from Handbrake High Profile
and here is a non working dvd rip. Both are the same from what I can tell, but I'm not sure what to do after rendering the file. I clicked on Video Renderer, but it's all greek.
NONWORKING-DVD-GuardiansoftheGalaxy.jpg
Non Working DVD Rip from Handbrake High Profile. This one plays but it's choppy and sketchy.
Once I know what to do with the program, I'll start digging into the BD rips.

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Thu May 21, 2015 4:02 pm

Using autoripncompress in wmc, with makmkv and dvd provile set to uncompressed wtv, I can rip a dvd. It will play back in wmc on the PC with skip, ffwd, and resume. It shows as 1 minute file on the extenders and will not play.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Fri May 22, 2015 1:21 pm

cKuR6 wrote:
TheOsburnFamil wrote:Download Graphstudio (graphedit) http://blog.monogram.sk/janos/tools/mon ... raphstudio.

ok, finally have some time here. had a death in the family and the coaching is wearing me thin... BUT we are undefeated! Run Ruled the team tonight.

So here is a working DVD rip:
WORKING-DVD-TheMazeRunner.jpg
and here is a non working dvd rip. Both are the same from what I can tell, but I'm not sure what to do after rendering the file. I clicked on Video Renderer, but it's all greek.
NONWORKING-DVD-GuardiansoftheGalaxy.jpg
Once I know what to do with the program, I'll start digging into the BD rips.
There should be a little green triangle button and that'll start to play the file in a standalone player.

Another note-- I see you're using the LAV Filter. Did you install BOTH the 32bit and the 64bit versions? If you have a 64bit version of Windows, you Extenders will use the 64bit version of the codecs as it uses the 64bit WMP Engine for playback. Make sure the 64bit version of LAV is installed -AND- you may also want to check the video codec settings in LAV. Play around with checking the different codec types. LAV does not handle WTV by default because it could contain encrypted streams. If you don't have any encrypted WTV files then you can try that.

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:12 pm

What will clicking the triangle net me in terms of researching the problem?

Updated Status: I have the Movie Library causing wmc crash issue. In attempts to rectify the problem, I deleted my library in wmc, meaning I removed all library references in tasks>settings>media library. After redirecting everything to very specific places, I can now play all my ripped DVD's in the video library.

It is working, and I don't feel like crashing it again this weekend..... still need to try BD. Should BD's also play from the video library menu, when I get to testing that?

I do have both 34 & 64 installed.

Working DVD Rips:
Autoripncompress (ARC), makemkv (Mkv), handbrake (hb).
Point WMC Video Library to DVD folder on HDD.
Open ARC in wmc extras library.
Use DVD profile, which is set to uncompressed wtv.
Rip DVD to DVD folder, which contains another folder for each disc.
Play movie through wmv video library.

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:33 pm

DVD rips still working perfectly.

I've tried the BD ripping again, I get an error for make mkv telling me I am trying to open from a third party program. I've done the initial test rip directly from make mkv, which is supposed to avoid this problem. Still fails.

I am willing to manually handle the swap. If I use make mkv manually, what is the best option for converting to wtv container? I read the DVRMSToolbox threads, I tried it, file wouldn't play at all.

If the next try still fails... I might just forget about playing these anywhere but the media room, which has an xbox, and leave them as mkv. I'd really, really like to be able to watch on echo's though. Then I'd just copy the kids shows from dvd, so those can at least be watched elsewhere. We normally buy the BluRay Combo packs, for playing the DVD's in the truck.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:33 pm

Can you back up a little and explain why you need a wtv container? My local WMC and Echoes play mkv just fine. Did you not enable mkv playback after you installed LAV?

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/e ... ia-center/ (skip down to step 3)

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:14 pm

wtv because I resolved to do it the minimalist / easy way... which isn't turning out so easy. I wanted to be capable of playing on echo, and thought everyone pointed to wtv as the minimalist native way.

I don't want to add hacks to this system. don't a lot of people have problems with ffdshow, or is that memory a remnant of old threads I read while lurking, before i jumped into all this?
I'm not even sure how LAV got into the system. I noticed it in the tray during all these tests and was a bit surprised..... must have been one of the I can't sleep let me try one of these htpc mods.... all night deals. I enabled mkv in recorded tv and echo settings, but they still don't show up.

This BD rip capability insert would be an awesome addition to my home television setup. However, I'm not willing to risk live and dvr capabilities by dl'ing potentially troublesome add ons or hacking the reg. It just never seems to turn out right. I don't believe your link was one I've run across. So I'll give it a more thorough read through.

So you're running mkv on the echo successfully with bd rips from make mkv?
what audio and vid codecs?
where do you store them?
how do you browse them (meaning which menu)?
what do you use to play back (meaning vid library, my movies, media browser, etc)?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:12 pm

So you're running mkv on the echo successfully with bd rips from make mkv?
I think so. I've never actually made an mkv, but I've obtained hundreds from elsewhere. Presumably a good portion of them were probably made with MakeMKV
what audio and vid codecs?
LAV 32 and 64
where do you store them?
Local 4TB drive, D:\Users\Dave\Videos\Movies (path added to WMC libraries). Could be anywhere so long as you add the path.
how do you browse them (meaning which menu)?
Movies - Movie Library and Pictures + Videos - Video Library (they show up both places)
what do you use to play back (meaning vid library, my movies, media browser, etc)?
Video Library. I don't use any other add-ons or players except Pot Player on occasion for formats WMC can't play. I'd say my system is far more minimalist than yours with only one codec pack, a couple of registry tweaks and native WMC. I watch then delete, so I don't maintain much of a library. But if I had a true movie library I made myself, I'd probably use something with a bit more eye candy.

I takes 5 minutes to install LAV and 5 seconds to add the registry keys to make WMC recognize mkv as a playable file type. I wouldn't consider it a hack, just adding something that has come along since WMC development stopped. If you look at the contents of the file, you'll see how routine and innocuous it is, same structure as other keys for other file types. But it is essential to getting mkv playback to work.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:15 pm

Just wanted to add that I would like to help more. But I don't even have a BD drive, much less own any BDs (I rent everything). Best I can do is rip DVD to mkv, which you already have working apparently.

This looks like a pretty good ripping guide:
http://assassinhtpcblog.com/ripping/

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:40 am

I went back and looked at my old downloads and saw that the last 20 or so things I've watched were indeed 1080p mkvs. So it's definitely working.

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:05 pm

mdavej wrote: I takes 5 minutes to install LAV and 5 seconds to add the registry keys to make WMC recognize mkv as a playable file type. I wouldn't consider it a hack, just adding something that has come along since WMC development stopped. If you look at the contents of the file, you'll see how routine and innocuous it is, same structure as other keys for other file types. But it is essential to getting mkv playback to work.
I seem to remember already doing that reg tweak, but it was before I had to rebuild the system.
(After my initial setup, extenders refused to play, so CETON advised i'd have to wipe and reinstall windows. After doing that, and windows still not allowing extenders, I realized, I did not read up on DRM and all the junk that is required to pass, before extenders can play. Though my vid card claimed it was good to go.... once I replaced it, everything started working.)

So, I will check to see if it is in there, if not, I'll give it a shot. My older boy is bugging me to be able to watch "Blu Rays" we have, in his room. He's not getting a blu ray up there..... so this is his last shot.

My wmc movie library icon is still crashing wmc, even though I've never even really used it for anything. So, if these won't play through the vid library or my movies, then this won't work.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:35 pm

Such crashing is usually caused by a corrupt video file. Move all of them elsewhere, then move back a few at a time until you find the culprit. Knowing the date it first started crashing will also help narrow it down.

FWIW, none of my kids ever had TVs in their rooms growing up, and they still had happy childhoods and turned out fine. So it isn't the end of the world if you don't get it working.

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:44 am

I get it. My kids don't get everything they want, believe me. However, the oldest is many years older than his next closest sibling, so I give him some things so he can escape at times. Ohio winters can be a long time of grey days inside. TV's arent our babysitters or anything........Mostly educational shows...mostly

I never used movie library until trying this. So I have no idea when it started crashing. I have nothing mapped to movies...... so i don't know what to remove. I don't need movies, unless BD requires it, so i'm not real worried. Videos works fine.